PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly doesn't start???

davis449
08-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I had the weirdest thing happen just a little while ago. I've been running around all day doing errands. It's about 104 degrees outside today and I guess I've been running the car pretty hard, considering the conditions outside. I get home at about 3:30 and I leave the car in the garage for about an hour. I got back out at 4:30 and it suddenly doesn't want to start. It didn't act like a starter or alternator problem, all of my gauges are showing normal signs, temp's a bit higher than normal, but not in the red, and there's not idiot lights on. I finally got it to start after giving it a little gas while tunring the ignition. I shut the car off a couple seconds after it started and turned it over again and it fired right up. I proceeded to drive to work, doing everything as I normally would, hit about 65-70 mph, the tranny's smooth and there's no hesitation and/or funny noises. I called the dealer and spoke with a tech and they said to bring it in if it does it again. Anyone ever had this problem or have any insights?

J Irwan
08-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by davis449
I had the weirdest thing happen just a little while ago. I've been running around all day doing errands. It's about 104 degrees outside today and I guess I've been running the car pretty hard, considering the conditions outside. I get home at about 3:30 and I leave the car in the garage for about an hour. I got back out at 4:30 and it suddenly doesn't want to start. It didn't act like a starter or alternator problem, all of my gauges are showing normal signs, temp's a bit higher than normal, but not in the red, and there's not idiot lights on. I finally got it to start after giving it a little gas while tunring the ignition. I shut the car off a couple seconds after it started and turned it over again and it fired right up. I proceeded to drive to work, doing everything as I normally would, hit about 65-70 mph, the tranny's smooth and there's no hesitation and/or funny noises. I called the dealer and spoke with a tech and they said to bring it in if it does it again. Anyone ever had this problem or have any insights?

let me ask you this..

how is your habit of filling up gas..

Do you usually wait till the light lit up the fill up the gas..?
Do you often run the car with the gas indicator lit up..??

If you do, then that's your problem..

you might have a premature failure on you Fuel pump/regular inside the gas tank.

The things on W202 they use the fuel itself to cool this unit off.
So if you drive around with almost empty tank this fuel pump unit will likely to run hotter most of the time..

I always fill up the gas when the needle hit 1/4 mark..

Regardz,

davis449
08-04-2003, 03:33 PM
I usually do wait til the gas light goes on, but as soon as it comes on I fill her up. I was driving around on about a little over a quarter tank all day. I kinda figured it had something to do with fuel. I also ran octane booster through it on the last tank and your supposed to run additives like that down as far as you can. I talked to the MB tech and they said that that wouldn't have an effect like this. This is the first time anything like this has happened with my car. So who knows?

J Irwan
08-05-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by davis449
I usually do wait til the gas light goes on, but as soon as it comes on I fill her up. I was driving around on about a little over a quarter tank all day. I kinda figured it had something to do with fuel. I also ran octane booster through it on the last tank and your supposed to run additives like that down as far as you can. I talked to the MB tech and they said that that wouldn't have an effect like this. This is the first time anything like this has happened with my car. So who knows?

I figure MB Tech would say something like that.

Believe or not this fuel pump/regulator premature failure also applied to cars like BMW e36 3 series and W202 as well (it applies to other model as well, I don't remember all the list)

So I always filled up the gas when the needle start reaching 1/4 mark, I never drive around with 1/4 tank ....

I had this problem on my BMW intermitently, until finally it died completely..then finally I have to replace the fuel pump..

Here my $0.02 on octane booster and Additive, it is completely useless.
I would run 93 octane fuel, and redline my car once in a while..
or at least once a month ..
that way all the valves and the pistons will move to their full extend...this should clear any carbon deposit built-up..

if you never rev/red line your car, I don't think that's healthy for the engin either..

Again this is just my persepective and other my disagree with me.

Regardz,

J Irwan