PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the upper control arms.

benzdude
08-05-2006, 06:28 PM
How hard is it to replace the upper control arms? Anyone ever done it?

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/images/mechanical/F341060.gif

benzdude
08-05-2006, 06:30 PM
dealer wants $900.

JRE320
08-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Let us know what you have encountered as far as installation.

:rolleyes:

NISMOPOWERED
08-05-2006, 08:15 PM
From that pic you dont have to compress the springs. if the spring does not contact the upper arm, you put a pole jack under the lower arm and remove the tension. then just unbolt the upper arm.

Pagz
08-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Its not toooo difficult...you'll need a decent ball joint seperator,and i think getting at the nuts under your ECU box and brake booster can be alittle time consuming,you can get away without a compressor by place a jack or suitable tool under the lower arm and taking the weight as per NISMOPOWERED's reply

which reminds me...im looking into having a custom set made so i can adjust camber...

Paul

martattack
08-05-2006, 08:48 PM
NISMO and 23k are right. You don't really need to decompress the spring.

The hardest part will probably be getting to the mounting bolts if they are covered up by lots of electronics and what not under the hood. You'll likely need a pickle fork to pop the ball joint.

Here's a PDF:

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/pdfs/upperwishbone.pdf

benzdude
08-06-2006, 10:12 AM
thanks.

c280nz
08-07-2006, 09:17 PM
yea as explained. if you take the weight of the spring with a kack, then put some upward tension under the upper control arm by the ball joint with a pinch bar then smack the flat surface on the side of the ball joint area with a hammer it should come apart, the rest is just remving and unbolthing annoying things around in the engine bay to undo the bolts.
goodluck, ull be sweet, have fun

benzfan
08-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 23K

which reminds me...im looking into having a custom set made so i can adjust camber...

Paul

I spent quite a bit of time trying just that, and came to the conclusion it's a waste of time unless you are planning to adjust to different setups based on the conditions you are planning to drive on a given day. In that case you need to have calibrated marks so you can immediately adjust for say 1, 2 or 3 degrees of negative camber as desired accurately without an alignment rack. If you just want to make your car sit and handle properly after lowering, just put in a set of K-Mac bushings. At least they can be adjusted on a rack, whereas an adjustable upper arm probably won't, hence the need for calibration.

Pagz
08-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by benzfan
I spent quite a bit of time trying just that, and came to the conclusion it's a waste of time unless you are planning to adjust to different setups based on the conditions you are planning to drive on a given day. In that case you need to have calibrated marks so you can immediately adjust for say 1, 2 or 3 degrees of negative camber as desired accurately without an alignment rack. If you just want to make your car sit and handle properly after lowering, just put in a set of K-Mac bushings. At least they can be adjusted on a rack, whereas an adjustable upper arm probably won't, hence the need for calibration.

good point,though i wasnt planing on adjusting them to suit track use,just wanted to adjust for better tire life...the other issue that may arise would be fender clearance,so maybe offset lower arm bushes will be more suitable...

Paul