PDA

View Full Version : How much should i expect to pay to get springs installed?

taimyshukah
08-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm in the socal area and I plan to get springs on my car in the near future. I'm not the greatest at working on my own car and would feel better if someone who actually knows what they're doing could do it. So far, I found a shop in long beach called EF1 Motorsports and the website says its $299 to get it done and includes a free alignment. Any of you socal members know any other good shops that does it for less?

OCKlasse
08-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by taimyshukah
I'm in the socal area and I plan to get springs on my car in the near future. I'm not the greatest at working on my own car and would feel better if someone who actually knows what they're doing could do it. So far, I found a shop in long beach called EF1 Motorsports and the website says its $299 to get it done and includes a free alignment. Any of you socal members know any other good shops that does it for less?

That sounds pretty good, considering you also get an alignment with it.

1995c280
08-06-2006, 10:19 AM
that's a pretty good price if it's a total 4 wheel alignment. i would jump on it since you say you don't feel comfortable doin it yourself. ask them if you can get a printout of the alignment when their done so you can see the before and after readings and how bad your camber is and if adjustable camber arms will be needed or not. i never ended up throwing the arms on my car but i still have good tire wear.

Jason

irieite
08-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Having recently done this job myself, I'd say go for it. It's at least $200 just for the proper spring compressor and a major pain in the ass of a job without one.

ryhi
08-06-2006, 09:47 PM
$120 spring install. $50 alignment.

taimyshukah
08-06-2006, 11:01 PM
$120 spring install. $50 alignment.
Where at??

ryhi
08-06-2006, 11:08 PM
a mechanic i know in temple city/rosemead. luwin actually directed me to this place way back in the day.

irieite
08-07-2006, 10:30 AM
I would go with EF1, since they specialized in European cars and do this sort of thing all the time on them.

I wouldn't take it to some guy who claims he can do it the cheapest, as there has to be special care taken to ensure that the ends of the spring are aligned perfectly into the spring pad groove as well as the groove in the lower control arms. Otherwise, you'll end up with uneven ride heights and other problems.

ryhi
08-07-2006, 11:17 AM
you can always just get 2 jacks and do it yourself. its not that hard to align the springs in to the grooves they sit in. you would have to be a total idiot to not align it correctly.

rman
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by irieite
Having recently done this job myself, I'd say go for it. It's at least $200 just for the proper spring compressor and a major pain in the ass of a job without one.

Originally posted by ryhi
you can always just get 2 jacks and do it yourself. its not that hard to align the springs in to the grooves they sit in. you would have to be a total idiot to not align it correctly.

word. It's a bitch to line the pivot holes back up for the control arms (if that's the route you take, much easier and less tools needed than removing the spindle)

anyhow, i would def. take it to a shop if the price was right, save some time and I really, really hate breaking out the tools and putting them away afterwards.

Although i think on wednesday I am pulling my front springs out and trimming them down to lower the front another 1/2" or so

taimyshukah
08-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Suspensions are too delicate for me to be messing with myself. I better start saving up to get a good shop to do it....

202rules
08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
All the fuckin places around where I live want to charge me over $700 to change the springs and shocks and lower control arm bushings.

They all go by the book, and I fuckin hate that book!!!

irieite
08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
you would have to be a total idiot to not align it correctly.

True, but there are PLENTY of people out there who will do this job for cheap that ARE idiots!

I bought my car used and always felt that the rear end kind of sat high and didn't feel right. When I removed the rear springs I found the upper tongue of one spring was located about 180 degrees from the tongue groove stop of the pad on one side and about 90 degrees on the other, so it does happen. :eek: The impression marks are still there on the old pads.. :rolleyes:

Again, I would definitely pay the extra money to have an experienced shop tech that does this all the time on Mercedes or German cars perform the job, rather than having Bubba do it..