PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Guru.. Help!

CKlasse
08-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Guys,

So far I have had 2 different suspension setup, and still am not happy with the result. I am tired of wasting dollars and time. Soon, my turbo and engine will be done, I really need finish the suspension.

First, I had a used set of Eibach on OEM bilstein. The drop is insignificant with the OEM pads. I cannot remember what were the pads. It was a waste of money for what I gained. I sold the springs to a friend.

Now I have vogtland coils along with KYB adjustable shocks. I love the ride, but they are too low. Pads are #1 front and #2 rear. The front fender is rolled, and there is no rubbings. I love the responses and the stiffness, but not for city driving. I hate to constantly watching for speedbumps.

I need to at least raise it by an inch. Will this be doable by swapping a thicker pad? I remember someone (J Irwan?) posted the different heights of these pads. I couldn't seem to find the post. Furthermore, I doubt pads could add that much of height.

The funniest part is that another friend with a 99 C230K simply cut a coil off his OEM springs. And I love the ride and the height.

Anyone who goes to the track with C Class, I need your opinion please! I am riding on 18x8 235/45 fronts and 18x8.5 255/35 rears.

Thanks for the helps.

CKlasse
08-04-2003, 09:32 PM
oops..forget to factor in the WAY OFF camber angles due to the current height!

MBATF
08-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Ok..like Jun(JRE320) always scream at me for " MAN!!!! WHEN R U GOANNA GET UR CAMBERS FROM ME MAN!!!!!!???? IF YOU DON"T YOU WILL JUST WAST MONEY ONE TIRES EVRY YEARS MANG!!!!!"

speedybenz
08-04-2003, 11:16 PM
CKlasse,

If you put a #5 pad in the front and a #4 pad in the rear you will be very close to what you need.

If you need to go a little higher and I don't think you will you can do this by buting some urathane sheet say 1/2" think at a good rubber supply store. Cut the urathane sheet to the same OD as the stock pad and slide it in place 1st, then put your spring pad in.

You can do this for the fronts and the rears.

You can also make a spacer that fits between the coils of the springs out of a MB spring pad. It take about 5 minutes of grinding to each pad with a Dremel to get the right shape then jack up your car and slide it between the coils of the spring.

Jeff

CKlasse
08-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by speedybenz

You can also make a spacer that fits between the coils of the springs out of a MB spring pad. It take about 5 minutes of grinding to each pad with a Dremel to get the right shape then jack up your car and slide it between the coils of the spring.

I tried it by using one of those $7 spacer from local part store. I am looking for something more permanent. Perhaps I ll try #5 and #4 pads this weekend.

08-05-2003, 07:23 AM
Greetings-

You may consider opting for the most clinical approach?

Setting up suspension, brakes, chassis 'best' for track competition/fun really depends upon the type of track you'll be frequenting: speed track vs. handling vs. autocross vs drags vs. ralley

If you're going for ultimate low speed handling ie autocross the best suspension setup/ componenets/ parameters will be markedly different from a speed track set-up

imho- there will always be trade-offs in operating a (suspension) tuned car on the street ie over potholes, speedbumps, curbs, debris on the road, etc.

I'd consult with a skilled mercedes tuner to dial your suspension and chassis in since they would undoubtedly have it down to a science....especially if you're doing a serious turbo power upgrade

A professional and competent suspension tuner would include factoring in these variables in tuning your suspension car : spring rates, shock/strut rebound rates, properly matching shocks/struts to springs, urethane bushings, upgraded sway bars/strut bars, vehicle weight and weight distribution, optimum alignment, alignment correction kit if needed (camber kit), upgraded/ suspension components, frame and subframe components, trans and motor mounts, Horse Power to weight ratio, flex parameters, tires/wheels, etc. > all in conjunction with the target use of the vehicle.

Renntech comes to my mind as a fine custom MB suspension tuner...tell them what your intended use of your car and how extreme you'd like the suspension/chassis to be dialed in and they'll apply their MB tuning knowledge, R&D top quality materials and workmanship, install, and you'll be good to go ($$$).

Hope this helps- you'll have one hell of a MB and too much funn!
5.52;)

JRE320
08-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Why are u using 235x45x18 in the front? :confused: Like what Jeff said, change your pads to 4 & 5 or 4 & 3 then adjust your shocks.

CKlasse
08-05-2003, 11:44 AM
It takes 3 days to even get the pads :( JRE, I hear you on the fronts. At that time, the 235s pzero were $40 cheaper ea. than the 225 for some reasons. I am fixing this mistake soon ;)

So I dont get this wrong... #5 and #4 pads will give me approx. 1 inch, right? Thanks

JRE320
08-05-2003, 04:00 PM
May be more than an inch. ;)

CKlasse
08-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
May be more than an inch. ;)

Should I go for #4 and #3?

speedybenz
08-05-2003, 07:59 PM
No go for the #5 and #4 pads then if you need to you can just cut down the pad or cut say a 1/4 coil off the spring.

Jeff

JRE320
08-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Should I go for #4 and #3?

Look at my sig. I got 3 & 4 pads at the time I was left behind by a C180...... :rolleyes: :D ;) :)

Alps
08-06-2003, 04:41 AM
this thread has all the pad part #

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2498