PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what's wrong. Idling braking problem.

Ecin
08-07-2006, 08:44 AM
I have no clue what's wrong with the car. 99 c230. Everytime I'm at the stop light and release the brakes slightly with out moving it makes a weird sort of like crunchy sound. also when It's moving at low speeds with very little brake pressure it does this. What's going on? I'm about to replace the brake pads. Is there any specific one I should go with? The one that came with the car leaves a lot of brake dust, does the one that leave brake dust give more performance and how much more to see if it's worth switching to something with less dust.
Thanks for reading.

Denlasoul
08-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Ecin
I have no clue what's wrong with the car. 99 c230. Everytime I'm at the stop light and release the brakes slightly with out moving it makes a weird sort of like crunchy sound. also when It's moving at low speeds with very little brake pressure it does this. What's going on? I'm about to replace the brake pads. Is there any specific one I should go with? The one that came with the car leaves a lot of brake dust, does the one that leave brake dust give more performance and how much more to see if it's worth switching to something with less dust.
Thanks for reading.
Sounds like the brake pads may be really worn down. Crunching may be grinding the "bolts" that are used to mount the pad.

Ecin
08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
any recomendations for brake pads?

Denlasoul
08-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Personally, I'd go with OEM. There have been many other suggestions by other Members. Try Search under "brake pad"

Welcome to Club202!

stox
08-07-2006, 01:10 PM

I recently switched from OEM to PBR Deluxe, and have been very happy with the results. Braking seems unchanged, and the reduction in brake dust is downright amazing. The cars gets dirty before the wheels do, which never happened before.

alphanumeric
08-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by stox
I recently switched from OEM to PBR Deluxe, and have been very happy with the results. Braking seems unchanged, and the reduction in brake dust is downright amazing. The cars gets dirty before the wheels do, which never happened before.

word! same here

Ecin
08-07-2006, 03:02 PM
where can i find this PBR?

Ecin
08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
also where can i buy the calipers, Or whatever it's called. The thing that you see when you are looking at the car from the outside between the rim and the rotor. I may want a nice looking one, depending on the price, since I'm going to sell this car soon.

rollinrealbig
08-07-2006, 03:33 PM
also where can i buy the calipers, Or whatever it's called. The thing that you see when you are looking at the car from the outside between the rim and the rotor. I may want a nice looking one, depending on the price, since I'm going to sell this car soon.

see that your pads are not grinding on your rotors (brake discs) then you may need to replace those as well.

calipers ... those are quite expensive ... visit Tirerack.com they may have something you will like.