PDA

View Full Version : Hiding the Cold air from cops!

rollinrealbig
08-07-2006, 02:15 PM
I dnt know about you guys but CAI is illegal in my area, cops will pull you over and see what you have under the hood. I made a way to hide my Cold air and still keep it "stock" under the hood.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2179000-2179999/2179797_70_full.jpg
See the air filter ? and the box is still in its place - just been cut out on the bottom so the pipe can go through.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2179000-2179999/2179797_71_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2179000-2179999/2179797_72_full.jpg
all finished - hard to see it though.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2179000-2179999/2179797_74_full.jpg

you wont be needing this any more ...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2179000-2179999/2179797_73_full.jpg

Pagz
08-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Very stealth:bandit:
Im never moving to your area!

Denlasoul
08-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Where does it say CAI are illegal?

Seems like it infringes on your rights.

rman
08-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Where does it say CAI are illegal?

Seems like it infringes on your rights.

remember, smog nazi CA requires CARB approval on EVERYTHING. it's never stopped me in the past, and it's not going to stop me now.

!!!!!NJ Drive
08-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Very stealth:bandit:
Im never moving to your area! :werd:

rollinrealbig
08-07-2006, 02:56 PM
they showed it on the news ... ppl get pulled over in certain areas of town at certain times because their cars look like they may be involved in racing activity, so officers look under your hood and search for illegal or modified car parts. officers are trained to spot parts/brands that make aftermarket parts, and im not talking about aftermarket replacements just things that make your car faster.

basically thay look for shiny things :rolleyes:

OCKlasse
08-07-2006, 03:25 PM
looks real still stealth Rambunctious! ;)

rollinrealbig
08-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
looks real still stealth Rambunctious! ;)
Haha. thanx!

97C28O
08-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Very cool! Where did you get the CAI?

Is it legal in the Bay?

rollinrealbig
08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 97C28O
Very cool! Where did you get the CAI?

Is it legal in the Bay?

its just a round cold air filter and some 3" flexible aluminum tubing I found at home depot. its not legal thats why I have the tube running through the inside of my stock box to hide it.

therock2689
08-07-2006, 04:48 PM
very nice set-up. i dont see how a CAI can have any bearing on smog output. You still have you MAF, any vac lines and all that crap, i dont enderstand if anyone can enlighten.
Here is FL, none gives a sh!t so i have a short ram for now, since it rains every day. and a cold air on the way for the winter since it doesnt rain much if at all. OF topic, but does anyone know where i can get a AEM bypass cheap for a three inch tube???

rman
08-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by rollinrealbig
they showed it on the news ... ppl get pulled over in certain areas of town at certain times because their cars look like they may be involved in racing activity, so officers look under your hood and search for illegal or modified car parts. officers are trained to spot parts/brands that make aftermarket parts, and im not talking about aftermarket replacements just things that make your car faster.

basically thay look for shiny things :rolleyes:

lol they been doin that in SD since the 90s.....even cops with mirrors to slide under the car and look for straight pipes, etc.

For awhile they were taking impounded imports and going undercover to the races!

i remember once when they closed off the entire ralphs/in-n-out parking lot and looked at ALL THE CARS. that's why we have a legal 1/8th at qualcomm now....legal street racing wtf?

NISMOPOWERED
08-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Anything that changes the air speed into or out of the engine can effact the cat light off time. Thats the amount of time it takes for the cat to get hot enough to work. It is a federal law that you can't remove or tamper any smog stuff. This goes for all years and effects motorcycles and all. They just dont enforce it on older cars but remove the smog stuff on your 66 stang and thats illegal!

rollinrealbig
08-07-2006, 06:40 PM
heres another pic.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2179000-2179999/2179797_81_full.jpg

rollinrealbig
08-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by therock2689
very nice set-up. i dont see how a CAI can have any bearing on smog output. You still have you MAF, any vac lines and all that crap, i dont enderstand if anyone can enlighten.
Here is FL, none gives a sh!t so i have a short ram for now, since it rains every day. and a cold air on the way for the winter since it doesnt rain much if at all. OF topic, but does anyone know where i can get a AEM bypass cheap for a three inch tube???

thanks. only place ive seen those AEM bypass valves is on ebay for around $30 i think, dnt remember.

c280nz
08-07-2006, 09:10 PM
good stealth work ther rollin, thed never pick that, and if a cop did, ud have to give it to him for dedication.
i guess were lucky down here, my car doesnt even have cats ;)

97C28O
08-07-2006, 09:40 PM
any try this http://www.weapon-r.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=3723087.12937*UF1ZS0&p_id=654&xm=on&ppinc=search2

WEAPON R SECRET WEAPON INTAKE

rollinrealbig
08-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Hmm ... this looks cool, better then my red one.

http://www.weapon-r.com/store/html/images/swfilter1.jpg

SLAMMED_C
08-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Freakin sweet job mang.. very stealth!!

STATUS
08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
WHERE are you located in Ca. Its not illegal to have a CAI. or exhaust its just illegal to modify like cams and headers and all that civic stuff. look around on the DMV website they outline how you can modify your car. with certain brands and product info etc. They probably wont mess with a benz to much unless ur driving crazy

rman
08-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by STATUS
WHERE are you located in Ca. Its not illegal to have a CAI. or exhaust its just illegal to modify like cams and headers and all that civic stuff. look around on the DMV website they outline how you can modify your car. with certain brands and product info etc. They probably wont mess with a benz to much unless ur driving crazy

i'm not exactly sure on the legalities, but you sure as hell won't pass smog if it's not CARB exempt or approved. I'm pretty sure it's illegal as well.

Actually, believe it or not, the law states that ANY modification to your exhaust that increases it's volume is illegal. CARB or not.

So i'm pretty sure that a CAI, headers, cams, etc. that are not CARB approved are illegal, and even products that are CARB approved.

STATUS
08-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by rman
i'm not exactly sure on the legalities, but you sure as hell won't pass smog if it's not CARB exempt or approved. I'm pretty sure it's illegal as well.

Actually, believe it or not, the law states that ANY modification to your exhaust that increases it's volume is illegal. CARB or not.

So i'm pretty sure that a CAI, headers, cams, etc. that are not CARB approved are illegal, and even products that are CARB approved.

well it was from my experience that it was all ok as long as xhaust isnt over 95db and other modifications that arent OEM such as engine swaps and stuff like that. When I had my scion xB I got pulled over for having it all done up and i got ticketed for all that stuff but I had documentation for everything being legal in the DMV code and that was the end of that

rollinrealbig
08-08-2006, 06:40 PM
I dnt know about the legal crap. I saw it on the news - cops will bust you for having CAI. they allow K&N filters the ones that come with stickers but they cost a bitch.

Pagz
08-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
good stealth work ther rollin, thed never pick that, and if a cop did, ud have to give it to him for dedication.
i guess were lucky down here, my car doesnt even have cats ;)

was descussing moving to oz the other day...thought maybe i could take the 202..only have to pay heaps of tax,not so bad......................then i remebered i'd need a cat...suddenly where not moving to OZ:dead:...:D

Pagz
08-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Hmm ... this looks cool, better then my red one.

http://www.weapon-r.com/store/html/images/swfilter1.jpg

be careful with those foam filters man...they flow well,and they always say they filter well but iv yet to see one do the job properly!...

rollinrealbig
08-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by 23K
be careful with those foam filters man...they flow well,and they always say they filter well but iv yet to see one do the job properly!...

oh , ok thanks for the warning! :)

STATUS
08-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Weapon R intakes are pretty darn good though

Pagz
08-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Weapon R intakes are pretty darn good though

So are HKS and Trust/Greddy...or so you would think!

STATUS
08-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 23K
So are HKS and Trust/Greddy...or so you would think!

They are decent. Greddy have some nice intakes but i like AEM and FUJITA and WEAPON R those had a nice sound and punch on my lil scion when i had it and I went thru quite a few intakes

Pagz
08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
They are decent. Greddy have some nice intakes but i like AEM and FUJITA and WEAPON R those had a nice sound and punch on my lil scion when i had it and I went thru quite a few intakes

Anything but foam!,AEM seems like a great alternative,that and Apexi...as they both dont need oil and filtering is exceptional...
iv never seen fujita...is it oiled?

STATUS
08-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Anything but foam!,AEM seems like a great alternative,that and Apexi...as they both dont need oil and filtering is exceptional...
iv never seen fujita...is it oiled?

Yeh Ilike apexi no just straight air. check it out @ www.f5air.com i never understood the oiled ones and I dont think they add more punch and filter power do they?

Pagz
08-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeh Ilike apexi no just straight air. check it out @ www.f5air.com i never understood the oiled ones and I dont think they add more punch and filter power do they?

Very similar to Apexi's item!...it doesnt say if there oiled etc!...im fairly sure oil is used on various filter media to trap and hold small particles as well a preserving the media...

Iv seen a back-to-back test on a Blitz SS,apexi,HKS and K&N filter in a japanese tuner mag...with the Blitz and HKS coming out with Very poor filtration,13.9 HP gain over a stock filter tested(calclated on airflow)...the K&N came in second for filtration,and the Apexi item first with a ~14HP best filtration...i would suspect AEM to be up there also...

STATUS
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Very similar to Apexi's item!...it doesnt say if there oiled etc!...im fairly sure oil is used on various filter media to trap and hold small particles as well a preserving the media...

Iv seen a back-to-back test on a Blitz SS,apexi,HKS and K&N filter in a japanese tuner mag...with the Blitz and HKS coming out with Very poor filtration,13.9 HP gain over a stock filter tested(calclated on airflow)...the K&N came in second for filtration,and the Apexi item first with a ~14HP best filtration...i would suspect AEM to be up there also...

very nice although there is this guy from www.prototypepower.com who makes kits for turbo pt cruisers producing 30+ hp gains. I wonder if he would make sum ish for the 202

EveryDayHustlin
08-09-2006, 04:38 PM
23k, do you not recomend the Weapon R intake system? If not what other intake systems are available? Do most people do a custom intake on our cars? Thanks in advance.

STATUS
08-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by EveryDayHustlin
23k, do you not recomend the Weapon R intake system? If not what other intake systems are available? Do most people do a custom intake on our cars? Thanks in advance.

Weapon R makes great intakes the only thing I would recommend is getting on of those cleaning kits they have a lubricant you are supposed to spray your cone with which coats the filter giving it more filtering power so the air is cleaner

Pagz
08-09-2006, 04:54 PM
very nice although there is this guy from www.prototypepower.com who makes kits for turbo pt cruisers producing 30+ hp gains. I wonder if he would make sum ish for the 202

Note the old kit had a foam filter which is now been replaced with a non-foam pod filter...:hmmm:

rollinrealbig
08-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by EveryDayHustlin

like 23K said, Apexi being best or top of the line quality, id say go with that. then make a custom tube. trust me, you dont want to take off your bumper everytime you have to clean/reoil that shit.

Pagz
08-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Just to add to it all i challanged my hose suppliers today on there piper-cross foam filters used for rally and race...I even went out back an took a look at the various foam media 3 layer types which they use for replacement...and as much as they thought it was good...i couldnt agree,i held them up to the light and it streamed through the gaps...no gaps in my Apexi item!

Paul

STATUS
08-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by 23K
Note the old kit had a foam filter which is now been replaced with a non-foam pod filter...:hmmm:

dont get me wrong foam filters arent the best but the weaponR ones are still made quite well

rollinrealbig
08-10-2006, 09:03 AM
those Apexi's aint cheap. and they require some sort of flange to be welded onto your pipe. ?? :confused:

STATUS
08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
those Apexi's aint cheap. and they require some sort of flange to be welded onto your pipe. ?? :confused:

is that for the w202 Cuz I never welded anything on the scion

Pagz
08-10-2006, 11:56 AM

yip...thats the catch with the Apexi item!,
you need a flange for the HKS item too!...there easy to make!
its so the filters can be attached directly to air flow meters etc...
the filters arnt expensive if you buy the replacement filter only,its alot more if you get the flange and associated parts that mount to a given car/air flow sensor...

Paul

unHookt
08-16-2006, 03:53 PM
just got my car smogged yesterday and yes they do check for this at the shop...

rollinrealbig
08-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by unHookt
just got my car smogged yesterday and yes they do check for this at the shop...

oh well aint hard to reverse everything. :rolleyes:

besides ... I think I may know somebody who knows somebody who maybe might know a shop that may forget to look under the hood ... who knows ... ;)

STATUS
08-17-2006, 01:56 AM
oh well aint hard to reverse everything. :rolleyes:

besides ... I think I may know somebody who knows somebody who maybe might know a shop that may forget to look under the hood ... who knows ... ;)

Send me the Info on that shop

rollinrealbig
08-17-2006, 04:47 PM

what shop ? :p

STATUS
08-18-2006, 11:34 PM

This Shop

rollinrealbig
08-19-2006, 10:43 AM
This Shop

LoL I dont see any shop :p

STATUS
08-21-2006, 11:58 PM

This Shop

rollinrealbig
08-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Hmm ... still dnt see a shop.

STATUS
08-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Hmm ... still dnt see a shop.

NM u should just scroll up where u said u kno a shop that overlooks ish , oh well i dont need it

rollinrealbig
08-22-2006, 08:29 PM
HAHA i know, well my friend mentioned a shop like that , he was bragging about getting a 4-rotar rotary engine (where is he gonna get that??!!?? :confused: :rolleyes: ) and putting a ton of catalics to try and pass smog, then he said his brother knows a shop that will overlook this. :rolleyes: I never cared to listen to what he was gonna say because ...

1.no rotary in my MB
2.my car already passed smog
3.my car will pass smog FOR SURE because it is well maintained
4.all I have is that CAI which is illegal .... thats about it ....

STATUS
08-22-2006, 10:26 PM
HAHA i know, well my friend mentioned a shop like that , he was bragging about getting a 4-rotar rotary engine (where is he gonna get that??!!?? :confused: :rolleyes: ) and putting a ton of catalics to try and pass smog, then he said his brother knows a shop that will overlook this. :rolleyes: I never cared to listen to what he was gonna say because ...

1.no rotary in my MB
2.my car already passed smog
3.my car will pass smog FOR SURE because it is well maintained
4.all I have is that CAI which is illegal .... thats about it ....

interesting

Dubbin'
08-23-2006, 12:03 AM
CAI's do absolutly nothing to you emissions. All its doing it drawing colder air into your motor and increasing intake volume..
Honestly I would just take out the airbox and run an actual pipe down there instead of flex pipe. The flex pipe is distorting your airflow to the manifold.
If you wanna keep it 'legal', buy a K&N filter for your airbox.. Then just swiss cheese it.
That is to basically drill holes into the bottom half of the box, Or if you want more air flow, Just saw off a big chunk from the bottom half of the box. It still will look stock too.
Basically make it into a Ram Air.. which actually give your more horsepower gains than cold air.. Sooo.. yeah.

rollinrealbig
08-23-2006, 02:45 PM
well the flex pipe runs through the inside of the Air box, then connects to the MAF. the box is just covering it .... like a shell. and the air is being sucked in through the hole in the bumper > to the filter > the flex pipe .

rollinrealbig
09-01-2006, 08:58 PM
this little project of mine hella works!!!

I was at school argueing w/a few honda boys, just because two of them lost to me, so there like 'your car isnt stock I can hear its loud', so I pop the hood ... and nobody sees anything aftermarket. :rolleyes: :D

but damn it is alot louder and throatier!!

97C28O
09-01-2006, 09:10 PM
lol...

My friend has a 94 Integra SE and got an exhaust and short ram. The other day cops pulled him over and asked him if that thing was fast. Then my friend pop the hood cause he asked.. and the cop said the stupidist shit ever! "You got a Japanese motor in there. Where did you get this?" My friend got a fix-it-ticket for having a intake which is "not" smog-legal and too loud exhaust( it's not even loud). Cops are cracking down in the Bay Area! WATCH OUT PEOPLE!

rollinrealbig
09-01-2006, 10:18 PM
WHOAAA????? A REAL JAPANESE MOTOR +++ INTEGRA ????? GET OUT!!! :rolleyes: wtf are these cops thinking.

97C28O
09-02-2006, 11:26 AM
WHOAAA????? A REAL JAPANESE MOTOR +++ INTEGRA ????? GET OUT!!! :rolleyes: wtf are these cops thinking. :werd:

rollinrealbig
09-21-2006, 05:01 PM
ok well I got a new MAF and now I can really tell the differance, car is much better sounding and also response is great!

good mod! cheap too.