PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket lights pin problem

DRM
08-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Hey,

okay I purchased some crystal head lights and some crystal corner lights and before I bought the ebay seller said that they would be compatible with my australian 97 w202.

However I just want to be sure that these will be compatible because i dont want to go through the whole return process.

I checked my headlights and they have 5 pins on them.

The corners have two pins.

I guess my question is are these lights going to be compatible for my australian 97 w202? I have emailed the seller and asked him how many pins they have to confirm before I send payment so when I get that email back I will post it up but for some reason I am expecting him to say 4 pins.

If the head lights did have 4 pins would they still be compatible? I think I remember reading about this problem and something about a light on the dash constantly on because there were not enough pins on his aftermarket lights.

thanks!

links to the same sellers lights that i bought

head lights (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95-96-97-98-99-00-MERCEDES-W202-C-CLASS-HEAD-LIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ010QQi temZ200015663482QQrdZ1)

corners (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-00-MERCEDES-BENZ-W202-C-CLASS-CLEAR-CORNER-LIGHTS-99_W0QQitemZ200015663497QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33708QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

ryhi
08-10-2006, 12:27 AM
i duno about the headlights but for the corners you can just leave your stock light bulb n ish n attatch them to the new corners.

OzC36
08-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Hey Mate!

The first question I would ask is if they are designed for left hand or right hand drive cars?

If the lights lens pattern is for driving on the "wrong" side of the road like the yanks do, you will be blinding oncoming traffic with low beam.

DRM
08-10-2006, 04:27 PM
hey c36, yeah good point i forgot about that :confused:

in the auction it says:

100% Guarantee brand new.
SAE/DOT approved.
New high quality JDM version headlights
100% moisture proof ( we have seen the headlights that our competitors are selling with the moisture issue)
Perfect fitment & no modification needed.
Professional installation is recommended.
All wiring for the headlights are preassembled for easy plug & play application.
HAVE YOUR VEHICLE IN STYLE!

And I read this on another website:

The '99 Jspec HID headlights are a really nice cosmetic improvement over the stock North American headlights, not to mention the improved lighting of high intensity discharge (HID), also known as Xenon lights.

Unfortunately, they are designed for the Japanese market, so the light pattern is designed for RHD vehicles. In cars designed for the North American market (left hand drive), the headlight pattern is designed to allow more light on the right hand side of the car, allowing for better illumination for signs, pedestrians, etc. While the cutoff for the light pattern is kept low on the left hand side so as to minimize glare for oncoming traffic. Because of the greater light output of HIDs, this is even more important. Of course, for the Japanese market, where the cars are right hand drive, the light pattern is the exact opposite. Using the Jspec lights unmodified on our LHD cars will cause increased glare for oncoming traffic, while decreasing the illumination on the curb side. Not good.

So from this I am guessing JDM "version" headlights are made for right hand drive cars?

OzC36
08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi DRM,

Great research, you may have hit the jackpot if these are designed for RHD cars (I think also called L traffic)!

Could you please check again the number of pins your headlights have? I just had a look at my Australian delivered 1996 C36 and it has six pins (plus a dummy plastic pin so that you can't install the connector upside down). However, the AMG cars can be different in some areas.

I will PM you with my email if you need a photo of the pins on my car.

DRM
08-10-2006, 11:01 PM
hey c36 yeah hopefully this info is correct!

and yep I have 6 pins plus a dummy plastic one. On the female connector it has 5 holes with a copper surrounding and one hole with nothing just black plastic so I am guessing ours are the same!

OzC36
08-10-2006, 11:17 PM
OK, Just looked at the female connector and that's precisely what I've got!