PDA

View Full Version : guard infront of wheel flew off

DRM
08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
hey everyone,

okay I was driving at around 120 on the highway and i felt something like something had hit my car and looked in the rear vision mirror and saw all this black shards of something spraying out the back of my car so I pulled over and realised that the front right plastic guard infront of the tyre (covers half of the wheel area) that has the three air slits in it somehow came off and went under the car and the right rear left tyre and exploded into shards of plastic.

I haven't had this on for a couple of weeks and it hasn't made much difference that I can feel however what is the purpose of this piece of plastic? Should I replace it? I am guessing it wont be very expensive

benzonline
08-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Im guessing it protects parts from getting sprayed by road dirt and such, aswell as a neat, tidy wheel wheel "look".

therock2689
08-10-2006, 05:55 PM
i had that happen to, i havent done aything about it and its fine. I wouldnt worry about it much

JOESID
08-10-2006, 06:45 PM
two of my rear ones got effed when i ttook my bumper off. $45 each. good luck

rollinrealbig
08-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Yea I would want to have that part in their - I got my cold air intake now and it will get dirty INSTANTLY if I have that part off.

myst1kal00
08-10-2006, 07:41 PM
hey that happen to me also, it just came off when i hit a bump going about the same speed. tired to repair but didnt work. i say you should buy it because if you listen carrefully you can hear more road noise then before. So i bought one for only $32 at my local benz repair place, or the dealer for $33 speical order.

benzonline
08-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Remember its a Benz...whatever part is on it, there is a purpose to it. :)

ryhi
08-10-2006, 10:58 PM
true, but i think that saying would go for just about any other car out there tho..

DRM
08-10-2006, 11:05 PM
yeah interesting that this happens a lot. I have also felt a minor movement in that area of the car as well maybe the wind is hitting the wheel and causing it to move slightly.

coolin
08-11-2006, 09:40 AM
I had the driver's side wheel well go on the highway. I didn't see what happened, but I instantly noticed more wind noise.

It wasn't too expensive to fix. I think $80 or so.

Abuimad
08-12-2006, 04:14 AM
they are very good in the winter of wet roads..they will prevent ur car from getting sprayed and dirty...and they will also prevent the guy tailing you from cursing at you for spraying him with water after he spent hours washing his car ;)

202Esprit
08-13-2006, 02:03 AM
While ur up there be sure to empty the frontside of the skirts. I did a little maintenance the other day, removed the black plastic guard u r talking about and found out that there was about two handsfull of dirt underneath my sideskirt. This stuff stays wet and can cause problems if not removed. Change the rubber plugs when ur up there too, they almost always tear and let in the water!:D