PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions 1995 C280

crit1
08-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I have a '95 C280 and have a few questions. I rotated my tires and now get a rubbing sound from the driver's front. I checked the metal guard behind the brakes and don't see any contact. Any other suggestions? No. 2. What/how do you lubricate the sunroof? Mine's squeaky upon opening and closing. When I'm stopped on a hill and let go of the brake, the car rolls backward. Is that normal or should the brakes hold it? Thanks.

Denlasoul
08-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Can you describe the rubbing? Is it a metal sounding rub or plastic? This information will help us possibly isolate what is rubbing. Are these stock wheels?

If I recall correctly, you just use MB grease to lube the sunroof rails. I'm sure other types of grease would work too.

I think mine does the saem, or maybe it holds in place. I dont think the car would roll back more than an inch or two as the car should be in gear. If it's rolling like a foot or something, then I'd say you had a problem.

1995c280
08-11-2006, 03:24 PM
on a slight-to-big hill, your car will roll back a little until you hit the gas. 97' and up solved the problem with electronic trans actually holding the car for a few seconds when shifter selection is in "s" mode rather than "w" mode. as for the sunroof, alot of greases will work but you can go to the dealer and buy the actual benz sunroof lube. it is in a small squirt bottle and is a partially thick blend of liquid. put it in the channels and work the sunroof a few times applying more grease after each run. for the rubbing noise, more info would help like "Denlasoul" had stated but maybe check to see if you have a bent rim. sometimes customers describe that as rubbing/vibrating. also did you balance the tires that you rotated to the front?

Jason

crit1
08-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll check on how far back the car will roll and see if it catches. Thanks also for the info on the sunroof grease. As far as the wheel rubbing goes, it does sound metallic. Sometimes it's loud and sometimes soft and it goes away at higher speed (30mph). I did not balance the tires before rotating them. Doesn't seem like I have a bent rim and there's no vibration at any speed. I do notice some friction (and sound) when I rotate the rotor which is the brake pads in contact with the rotor. Is that normal? Hey Jason, I'm in Ct. also (New Haven area). Where do you get your MB serviced?

1995c280
08-12-2006, 05:23 AM
i live in milford but i work for mercedes benz of fairfield so i do all the work on my car myself. i am leaving to texas tomorrow and coming back next weekend. so after i get back i'll bring the sunroof lube home with me and if you wanna meet up i can take a look at your problems for you.

Jason

crit1
08-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks Jason,
Let's hook up when you get back from Texas. Can I use regular grease on the sunroof? Also, the front driver's wheel sounds like brake pads rubbing on rotor. Is this normal? If not, how can I make it stop?

1995c280
08-13-2006, 04:18 PM
crit1, check your PM...i sent a message!

Jason

crit1
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks Jason,

Definitely pick me up some sunroof lube. Wheel rub is fixed. I'll give you a buzz when you get back from Texas.
Thanks

Denlasoul
08-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by crit1
Wheel rub is fixed.
So what was the cause/solution?

crit1
08-17-2006, 05:13 AM
I could have sworn that the rubbing was in the front wheel. I had taken it off 4 or 5 times to take a look and couldn't figure it out. I took it to a place and put it up on the lift, and of course, the sound was from the rear wheel. All it was was the splash guard rubbing on the rim. That's what I thought it was, but on the front wheel. Felt like a dork!! Enough said!

1995c280
08-17-2006, 01:19 PM
you may have felt like a dork........but at least it was a free fix and didn't end up being something costly!!!!!

glad to see that worked out.

Jason