PDA

View Full Version : Replace steering dampener

Polestar
08-12-2006, 05:34 PM
So, I searched but didn't quite get the "how to" on steering dampener replacement.

Apparently it is easy, (someone said it takes 10 mins.) and easy is right up my ally.

A pic would be much appreciated, but any description on replacement procedure would be great.

I figure I'll go OEM- Stabilus dampener-unless someone has a reason not too.
Thanks;)

irieite
08-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Polestar
So, I searched but didn't quite get the "how to" on steering dampener replacement.

Apparently it is easy, (someone said it takes 10 mins.) and easy is right up my ally.

A pic would be much appreciated, but any description on replacement procedure would be great.

I figure I'll go OEM- Stabilus dampener-unless someone has a reason not too.
Thanks;)

Go for it.

Very easy and straight foward job. Front end jacked up, two 17 or 19mm nuts to r&r and that's it.

No special tools, procedures or pullers needed. :)

However, even though Stabilus is OEM and what I replaced my leaky one with, I'd be tempted to try another brand, as my original Stabilus damper was leaking with less than 60k miles on it.

Ashkan's C280
08-12-2006, 06:36 PM
is this the same thing as the steering shock?

1995c280
08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
is this the same thing as the steering shock?

yes it's the same thing just some people call it different terms. on some cars all you need is a 16mm socket and a 16mm wrench. that's the replacment size bolts if a big job was done at MB and they changed the bolts/nuts!

basically like "irieite" said, after jacking up the vehicle and looking under the car.....the passenger side bolt of the shock is just a bolt. unscrew it and the nut remains stationary on the other side. the drivers side use a socket for the nut on the bottom and on the top (other side) use a wrench to hold the bolt. then pull out the bolt and remove the shock (very easy removal). then compress the new shock to fit back into the car (compresses with your hands, again very easy) and reinstall the harware.

takes about a minute to jack up the car and a minute to replace the shock!

Jason

ryhi
08-12-2006, 08:59 PM
what are the symptoms of a bad steering dampener?

1995c280
08-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
what are the symptoms of a bad steering dampener?

slight vibration sometimes but mostly a loose front end feel. the purpose is just to tighten up the drag link and make the steering wheel tighter also!

good idea to just replace it if you don't know when the last time it was done. not too expensive - like $60 from the dealer but i'm sure they are much cheaper online.

Jason

97C28O
08-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Hmm.. I wonder if I have this problem... Few days ago on the freeway going about 60mph it felt if the steering was loose, wobbly. It sort of felt like the car was gonna flip from the front. And there is some vibration sometimes but I don't really notice.. And sometimes when I turn there is part that is loose, you can move it back and forth that feels like there is a 1inch gap. When you move it left and right during that loose time... The wheels wont turn..

Any one know why? Also, car is stock and has about 56K mileage.

Ashkan's C280
08-13-2006, 01:27 AM
is there anything aftermarket that we can get to make the steering wheel very tight?

1995c280
08-13-2006, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
is there anything aftermarket that we can get to make the steering wheel very tight?

lower your car with springs and shocks and maybe look into eibach sway bars and bushings. lower center of gravity for the car will improve handling and steering response dramatically!

Jason

1995c280
08-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by 97C28O
Hmm.. I wonder if I have this problem... Few days ago on the freeway going about 60mph it felt if the steering was loose, wobbly. It sort of felt like the car was gonna flip from the front. And there is some vibration sometimes but I don't really notice.. And sometimes when I turn there is part that is loose, you can move it back and forth that feels like there is a 1inch gap. When you move it left and right during that loose time... The wheels wont turn..

Any one know why? Also, car is stock and has about 56K mileage.

check the tie rod ends and the idler arm bushing. mercedes makes a repair kit for the bushing if it is worn. if you can push the idler arm (which is the arm on the passenger side of the drag link) up and down and feel movement in your hand when applying force...than the bushing is worn!

Jason

97C28O
08-13-2006, 09:20 AM
1995c280 - Check your PM

benzonline
08-13-2006, 09:20 AM
I noticed in every 202 I been in, the suspension is very soft on high speed! If you hit a smooth hilly bump on the highway shes gonna bounce like it has hydraulics :)

Ashkan's C280
08-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by 1995c280
lower your car with springs and shocks and maybe look into eibach sway bars and bushings. lower center of gravity for the car will improve handling and steering response dramatically!

Jason

I have H*Rs #1 pads and bilstein sports on... and in the process of getting eibach sways but the steering si still losse is there anyway to make that tighter...

Polestar
08-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys!
My props to Club 202! This site is better at helping out than other MB sites I visit (which will remain nameless to protect the innocent).

c280nz
08-15-2006, 10:13 PM
my steering dampner was leaking badly (oil in my car shed) it got damaged from being hit by something solid on the road.

i took the damaged one off and havent put one on since, just running without one at all.
i feel the car is easier to steer at slower speeds (in and out of parks etc) and has resulted in NO steering vibration at all. so that is interesting and in contrast to your symptoms for diagnosis of this problem :confused:
i was gona post on here if it will damage my powersteering unit without one, but talked to a few ppl and they said if there is no negative effects or vibration dont worry about it.
-plus saved me like half a kg :p

1995c280
08-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by c280nz
my steering dampner was leaking badly (oil in my car shed) it got damaged from being hit by something solid on the road.

i took the damaged one off and havent put one on since, just running without one at all.
i feel the car is easier to steer at slower speeds (in and out of parks etc) and has resulted in NO steering vibration at all. so that is interesting and in contrast to your symptoms for diagnosis of this problem :confused:
i was gona post on here if it will damage my powersteering unit without one, but talked to a few ppl and they said if there is no negative effects or vibration dont worry about it.
-plus saved me like half a kg :p

yes the car will be easier to steer in parking lots because of less tension on the drag link and steering components but i'm not sure if i'd like that a really high speeds on the highway. it's kinda of a preference thing i guess though! with the vibration it will usually only cause a minor to slight one, nothing major.

Jason

Polestar
08-17-2006, 05:48 AM
.......just running without one( Steering Dampener) at all.

Just wondering if the steering dampener also protects the rack and pinion gears from damage? If so, you might be wearing out your steering box with out one?
I'm no wrench head, so maybe someone who knows can post?

c280nz
08-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Polestar
Just wondering if the steering dampener also protects the rack and pinion gears from damage? If so, you might be wearing out your steering box with out one?
I'm no wrench head, so maybe someone who knows can post?
that is what i was debating. but i would doubt it, and i very much hope the steering can handle any slight vibration without damage.

but as mentioned above, no noticable vibration (at all) at high speeds either