PDA

View Full Version : i'm new to the world of ice

bish0p
08-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Currently my stock headunit has buttons that are coming off and the lcd screen is bleeding. i heard that this is common on a lot of the stock units. I wanted to upgrade my headunit to something that has an ipod interface. Now my question is, would any aftermarket headunit work with the stock bose speakers and set up? I'm planning to get an amp and a 15inch sub for the trunk later on, but right now i'm just looking to get the headunit. I heard that the bose systems are hard to configure with aftermarket equipment so i was wondering if it'd work with just like an alpine headunit or something like that. Thanks in advance.

benzonline
08-14-2006, 04:11 AM
You can have an aftermarket head unit with the W202 Bose systems. It is connected a bit differently I believe and not sure of how but I know it will work as many have done it.

Brando457
08-14-2006, 07:05 AM
just goto your local audio shop and pick up a harnness for your radio. I just did the Kenwood 911DVD flip out in my car and I used a volkswagon harnness and my system plays through my stock bose no problem. Defintly upgrade the headunit, my new headunit with the stock bose speakers so really good compared to the old alpine components i had in my C220.

bish0p
08-14-2006, 12:29 PM
i've heard about people using the VW harness to hook up the headunits, but which harness do i use? ALso does anyone have the wiring diagram for my car? it's a c280 96'. Thanks everyone for their quick replies

rollinrealbig
08-14-2006, 02:28 PM
as for the Ipod interface, I went the cheap way and bought a cable with RCAs at one end and a headphone jack on the other, plugs into the back of your aftermarket deck and the controls are all on the ipod. it only cost $5 and installing is a second after you pull your aftermarket deck out.

I like the controls on the ipod since Its faster going through say 500songs rather then clicking that HU. its just like holding a remote in your hand. :)

Brando457
08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by bish0p
i've heard about people using the VW harness to hook up the headunits, but which harness do i use? ALso does anyone have the wiring diagram for my car? it's a c280 96'. Thanks everyone for their quick replies

Ill find out tonight for you, my brother is a professional car audio/video installer and he installed the headunit in my car for me.

Like the member above I also used the RCA to minijack to connect my ipod to my headunit. It sounds alot clearer than using an itrip and I prefer using my ipod to find songs than the headunit.

97C28O
08-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I use a cassete thingy with the audio jack :D <-- Works good for me.

bish0p
08-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. you're right i think i will use the rca connection. It's a lot easier to scroll on the ipod, but does the ipod interface charge my ipod while it plays?

Brando457
08-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. you're right i think i will use the rca connection. It's a lot easier to scroll on the ipod, but does the ipod interface charge my ipod while it plays?

the rca use is ALOT clearer and better than using a casette or itrip!

I just asked my bro which volkswagon hardness it is a MK3 Volkswagon Hardness 1770 he said. If you're in NJ I'm sure he'll do your system for you for cheap on the side.

rollinrealbig
08-15-2006, 08:51 PM
RCA's DO NOT charge your ipod!

oh well. you get what you paid for and $5 is still worth it! :) I dont know if the sound is better but using a Sony deck and fully stock system I have to have the bass in negitives so it doesnt sound too nasty. subs are bumped to my priority list of mods because of that ... my stock three are way f*cked - 1 working, 1 blown, 1 never worked as far as I know, also my rear passenger door speaker makes so weird noise when I turn it up loud, this isnt continuis noise but its there and annoying, will have to swap that crap out also.

bish0p
08-16-2006, 08:42 PM
well what's a recommended aftermarket headunit? I'm planning to stick to my stock bose system right now now with just a new headunit. Maybe later on i'll get amps and subs but right now i'm just looking at the headunit.

rman
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
just go to your local stereo/electronics shop and get the standard VW harness

it'll plug right into your factory harness, then splice the wires on the VW harness into the aftermarket HU harness.

all colors match, except red and yellow. switch those so that red is to yellow, yellow is to red

bish0p
08-17-2006, 03:22 AM
pioneer headunit (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069880_291078777,00.html)
I'm currently looking at this headunit for my car. Can anyone tell me if this is any good for a 96' c280 with stock bose system? Would this fit? i went to some shops and they're telling me that it won't fit, i'm thinking it's all BS because i've seen some headunits on some of the members' cars on this site. yet they're telling me it won't fit. Can anyone tell me if this would fit or would i need like a special kit or anything to make it fit?

bish0p
08-17-2006, 03:27 AM
i also heard on other forums that the harness might not work for the bose system because it uses a fiber optic for its amp so it won't work on aftermarket headunits. is this true? i really don't want to rip out my system and rewire the whole car. if you have any info on this it'd be helpful. Seems like you guys know more about this than most of the shops i went to :D

Brando457
08-18-2006, 07:26 PM
i also heard on other forums that the harness might not work for the bose system because it uses a fiber optic for its amp so it won't work on aftermarket headunits. is this true? i really don't want to rip out my system and rewire the whole car. if you have any info on this it'd be helpful. Seems like you guys know more about this than most of the shops i went to :D

my car has the stock bose system and i am running a Kenwood 911 DVD using the harnness I told you.

My brother does this stuff for a living and I trust his words of wisdom. When he did my car he had no problem using the volkswagon hardness I mentioned above along with my stock bose system. With a different headunit you will notice a MAJOR improvement in the sound quality. Currently I am running the stock bose speakers along with the kenwood headunit and stock bose amp. It sounds really good compared to my old car which had Alpine components in the front and mbquartz in the rear.

The only thing I am doing as far as system goes now is getting my brother to build me a fiberglass box for my subs in the trunk and purchasing a 4ch amp to run the bose off of.

GL