PDA

View Full Version : how do you change pads?

bish0p
08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm interested in changing my pads to lower the rear just a little bit. Is it hard to change the pads. is it something i can do myself and are they expensive?

Denlasoul
08-16-2006, 03:15 PM
In order to change pads, you need to remove springs. Pads sit on the top of them. There are a few How-to on removing springs without a compressor, but I'd stay away from that if your skills are limited. It's dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.

Cost is about $7 each.

rollinrealbig
08-16-2006, 04:52 PM
yes they are not expensive but VERY dangerous removing springs especially if you have low experiance with such work. as I heard that just changing pads bearly lowers your car - it will hardly be noticed. Id go for lowering springs & pads but installing them ... I dnt know you so I dnt know if youd be able to do something like that.

bish0p
08-16-2006, 08:35 PM
i probably can do it myself, but if it's not much of a change maybe it's not worth all that work. Well thanks for the information. I think i'll leave it as is.

rollinrealbig
08-17-2006, 04:43 PM
yea its definalty not worth your time. if you were installing/cutting springs them you might as well do it while your in there but just to swap pads its a waste of time.

Dubbin'
08-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Taking out the rear suspension is not too difficult.. And its possible to do it in a "more safe" manor.
You need jack stands, and a good strong floor jack..
First lift the rear of your car and set it on the jack stands..
Move to the rear of the car and jack up one of the latter bars to compress the spring.
Now. At the top of the latter bar their are two pivot points with bushings.. Through each bushing is a bolt. You take those bolts out.. You might need something pointy to push them through and out.
So now your spring is only being held in by your jack. You slowly drop the jack down to realive spring tension and your latter bar will fall down with it. as soon as its droped the spring is under no tension and can easily be removed to replace the pads..
Reassemble it in the reverse order.
I'm not sure what the torque spec's of the latter bar bolts are, but if you have a Bently.. or some sort of manual you should be able to find it.. If you don't have anything. Just get them good and snug to were you think its good.

BTW.. I wouldn't attempt doing this if you have no mechanical inclinaton. You have to understand how your suspension system works to fully understand what I'm sayin'. Nah mean?

Allright. Good luck with that. I hope you achieve what your looking for.