PDA

View Full Version : Supecharged C43, finally.

Nitrogenbalance
08-17-2006, 06:57 AM
After having every excuess in the book I've gotten the HPS Gen 1 installed. It runs perfect. Only issue I had to fix was figure out a way to wire the coolant level sensor to work as it didn't. Second was figure out what I wanted to do with the oil breather lines. Got an ML55 engine cover to make it look somewhat factory. So far so good! It made 342HP/370TQ at the wheels. ALOT more than what was expected. It's damn fast.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/nitrogenbalance/KristaDoodleHopinDimer219.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/nitrogenbalance/KristaDoodleHopinDimer211.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/nitrogenbalance/KristaDoodleHopinDimer214.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/nitrogenbalance/KristaDoodleHopinDimer215.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/nitrogenbalance/CopyofHPSC43Dyno.jpg

rman
08-17-2006, 07:37 AM
timeslips please! get that thing on the track!

Silver202
08-17-2006, 07:38 AM
Man that car is SICK,car looks great awesome setup too. Good to see someone from NH on here, where abouts in NH are you?

trymonlam
08-17-2006, 10:11 AM
PER.FECT.

Ashkan's C280
08-17-2006, 11:57 AM
nice job mang, do you have any other mods? headers, ecu, pullie, exhaust?

Pagz
08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Great to see some more FI on here!...Very nice setup!....definatly time for a 400m run!....

Iv had the same small problems....what to do will crank/cam vent and how to go about the coolant tank and sensor....except i think i have alittle more room;)

SLAMMED_C
08-17-2006, 06:26 PM
NICE.. looks awesome. must haul ass like crazy!

Nitrogenbalance
08-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Silver202
Man that car is SICK,car looks great awesome setup too. Good to see someone from NH on here, where abouts in NH are you?

Depending on how my girlfriend's mood is that day...Manchester or Sandown.:D If your ever in the area let me know and we can check in.

As far as other mods go. I will be getting the primary cats replaced with high flow 200cel units and the secondary cats removed along with the resonator in a few weeks. That should free up some exhaust flow and sound better.

Methenol injection is probably the next route as cooling is very limited due to the lack of room. My buddy just finished a dual nozel pre-post S/C methenol spray kit into his E55 with the same blower setup. This should lower intake temps dramatically as well as increase the octane rating resulting in timing increase etc.. Depending on his outcome this weekend we will see.

Nitrogenbalance
08-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Great to see some more FI on here!...Very nice setup!....definatly time for a 400m run!....

Iv had the same small problems....what to do will crank/cam vent and how to go about the coolant tank and sensor....except i think i have alittle more room;)

I would love to work in your engine bay after dealing with this one. Think of changing my plugs and wires now:confused: . Glad I did them beforehand.

Secondly, after checking out your posts and buildup I almost feel lazy in a guilty kinda way. Definitly one of kind workmanship on that 202. Mad props as I now know 10% of what you must be dealing with.

Silver202
08-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Nitrogenbalance
Depending on how my girlfriend's mood is that day...Manchester or Sandown.:D If your ever in the area let me know and we can check in.

As far as other mods go. I will be getting the primary cats replaced with high flow 200cel units and the secondary cats removed along with the resonator in a few weeks. That should free up some exhaust flow and sound better.

Methenol injection is probably the next route as cooling is very limited due to the lack of room. My buddy just finished a dual nozel pre-post S/C methenol spray kit into his E55 with the same blower setup. This should lower intake temps dramatically as well as increase the octane rating resulting in timing increase etc.. Depending on his outcome this weekend we will see.

Depending on your girlfriends mood huh?:D lol Im right around Manchester I'd love to see your car, there was a thread on here with a few other people from new england that were throwing the idea around of a meet, but I guess everyone loss interest.

Pagz
08-18-2006, 11:53 AM
I would love to work in your engine bay after dealing with this one. Think of changing my plugs and wires now:confused: . Glad I did them beforehand.

Secondly, after checking out your posts and buildup I almost feel lazy in a guilty kinda way. Definitly one of kind workmanship on that 202. Mad props as I now know 10% of what you must be dealing with.

Changing you plugs/wires will be a problem!...I guess you need to remove the SC completely!?...did the kit include cooler plugs?

Thanks...its a long road on this build,i started just before last Xmas!...its been a bumpy ride!...but hopfully looking forward to starting her up before this year ends!...
fortunatly for you theres usually somthing to be said with a pre-tested bolt on kit!...it usually works first time round with expected results!..its a great way to go!,and ill be interested to see the results on you water/methonol injection!

Paul

Nitrogenbalance
08-18-2006, 12:45 PM
The plugs I used were NGK's and they were a copper plug that is supposed to run a bit cooler. My buddy is picking up his car as we speak with the dual meth/water system. It is going to spray at 2 pounds. Our cars only make 4-5 pounds of boost.

His IAT temps were 190F with outside temp at 59F. His blower is also spinning much faster than mine with a pully around 2.0inches and mine is at 2.625. Since mine spins alot slower it doesn't heat up so much like his. I'll probalby install an IAT along with a boost gague in the next month or so. My IAT could still probably afford to drop a few degrees.

Pagz
08-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Is your friend running a smaller SC than you?,or is he running more pressure?,also is his screw or roots type?...
As you say,air intake temps are very important!,even more so in an SC'd car as intake heat will lower charge pressures throughout the boost curve,and in a turbo system effecting compressor speed/efficiency...
let us know how you get on!...

Paul

irieite
08-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Just curious.. Is that a VW/Audi expansion tank, filled with VW/Audi red coolant I see there on the left side of the engine bay? ;)

Also, are these SC's available for the m112 as well? Since they are basically the same engine with two less cylinders, (and much more common) I would be surprised if they weren't.

Nitrogenbalance
08-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by 23K
Is your friend running a smaller SC than you?,or is he running more pressure?,also is his screw or roots type?...
As you say,air intake temps are very important!,even more so in an SC'd car as intake heat will lower charge pressures throughout the boost curve,and in a turbo system effecting compressor speed/efficiency...
let us know how you get on!...

Paul

My buddy has an 210 E55. Same motor yet discplacement is 5.5 opposed to 4.3. We are using the identical kit. The kit uses a magnesun MP90 positive discplacement roots type blower. The MP90 using the 2.625 pulley doesn't spin enough to fill the extra 1.2 liters. In order for him to match the 4-5pounds that the 4.3L will see he had to spin the blower faster. Downside was that it also increased IAT's a bit. The 5.5 really neads the magnesun MP112 which is used on Lightnings and Vette motors. However, as you can see there is no room for a larger blower. I just heard back from him about the twin meth/water system and it lowered his IAT's about 60F right off the bat. He also said he picked up an extra 1/2 pound of boost making about 5.5 total. No dyno yet to see the gains but he thinks they are significant.

Nitrogenbalance
08-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by irieite
Just curious.. Is that a VW/Audi expansion tank, filled with VW/Audi red coolant I see there on the left side of the engine bay? ;)

Also, are these SC's available for the m112 as well? Since they are basically the same engine with two less cylinders, (and much more common) I would be surprised if they weren't.

Good eyes!! Yes it is an audi exp tank. The coolant is red because I added a bottle of water wetter a while back. It turned all my coolant red.

Although they don't advertise a kit for the M112 it would work fine. I believe a slight modification here and there and it would be a go. Off the top of my head you would have to compare serpetine/pulley system which is probably similar if not the same. Second you could just shorten the mid pipe that is removeable after the discharge plate. It would have to be a few inches shorter to make up for the lack of two cylinders. I think the kit would probably make a good 6 pounds of boost or more in an M112. The best think about the magnesun blowers is that the posistive discplacement hits right out of idle. I make 99% of my torque around 2200ish I believe and max boost is right out of idle as the S/C is always spinning fast enough.

Actually now that I think of it....the front of your engine is farther away from the radiator. I think if you mounted it up the wheel well and firewall would be in the way of the blower itself. I'll post a pic of what I'm thinking. Maybe it wouldn't work. You could always use an MP60 which is smaller.

Abuimad
08-19-2006, 04:45 AM
wow....im in love with ur car....

1995c280
08-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Silver202
Depending on your girlfriends mood huh?:D lol Im right around Manchester I'd love to see your car, there was a thread on here with a few other people from new england that were throwing the idea around of a meet, but I guess everyone loss interest.

not that we lost interest but too many people had different plans goin on the weekends for the last 1 to 2 months. we should try something again coming up in the next month if everyone's in the area!

Jason

irieite
08-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Actually now that I think of it....the front of your engine is farther away from the radiator. I think if you mounted it up the wheel well and firewall would be in the way of the blower itself. I'll post a pic of what I'm thinking. Maybe it wouldn't work. You could always use an MP60 which is smaller.

I think the blower would probably have to mount in the same position, just with an extension on the drive pulley from the engine.

The smaller MP60 would probably be a better choice for a daily driver as it would produce less pressure if I'm not mistaken.

c55m8o
08-20-2006, 04:54 PM
...In order for him to match the 4-5pounds that the 4.3L will see he had to spin the blower faster. Downside was that it also increased IAT's a bit. The 5.5 really neads the magnesun MP112 which is used on Lightnings and Vette motors.... Great post. I had surmised the same but so much better based on experience.

Look'n forward to seeing you Saturday! ...hope my 'nice' rims will be done and back.

Nitrogenbalance
08-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by c55m8o
Great post. I had surmised the same but so much better based on experience.

Look'n forward to seeing you Saturday! ...hope my 'nice' rims will be done and back.

Saturday should be a ball!! More importantly though. Just heard back from my bud with the 5.5 S/C + meth injection. He got 400hp/420/tq at the wheels after the cooling. I'd say it was the ticket. That gives him the 110hp gain at the wheels I see without cooling. His peak before the cooling was around 360hp I beleive. Can't wait to try this out. Who knows, maybe I'll be in the 400whp range soon. That would be great.

C55M80..........I have a feeling this idea has crossed your mind a couple times....:D It would be awesome, your handling + crazy power.

c55m8o
08-20-2006, 05:39 PM
lol ... wouldn't be the 1st time. but would want a LSD 1st tho. Kleemann is OK; I'd want Quaife but would have to change the rear housing et al.

Nitrogenbalance
08-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by c55m8o
lol ... wouldn't be the 1st time. but would want a LSD 1st tho. Kleemann is OK; I'd want Quaife but would have to change the rear housing et al.

I think we have crossed this path before. Josh from House of Power insisted that they have a quaife LSD for our rear end. He may be wrong but he has yet to fail me in regards to info. I emailed both evosport and vividracing and they both replied with a price and availability. Evosport said yes and vivid racing was unsure about fitment.

This was months ago and I haven't dug any deeper to confirm. I could really use one. Have you emailed any suppliers about fitment??

c55m8o
08-21-2006, 03:23 PM
You're right. I have to get back on the horn because last time I got conflicting info from multiple sources. Last I heard direct from EvoSport was basically "you have to buy it and try it". That's pure crap so I gave up.

BTW, I might not be able to make the AutoX Sunday ... might need to work! :mad:

coolcarlskic43
08-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Saturday should be a ball!! More importantly though. Just heard back from my bud with the 5.5 S/C + meth injection. He got 400hp/420/tq at the wheels after the cooling. I'd say it was the ticket. That gives him the 110hp gain at the wheels I see without cooling. His peak before the cooling was around 360hp I beleive. Can't wait to try this out. Who knows, maybe I'll be in the 400whp range soon. That would be great.

C55M80..........I have a feeling this idea has crossed your mind a couple times....:D It would be awesome, your handling + crazy power. Mario I'm guessing?

Nitrogenbalance
08-25-2006, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
Mario I'm guessing?

Yup, Mario. He has been a good pionere for the system with succesfull tweaks/fixes. He really helped me understand the system before I even had it in my hands. Not to mention letting me ride around full throttle in his car when I was last out there. I wouldn't have bought the system had he not have been around.

omeyhomey
11-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I am interested in doing HPS SC to my E55 W210 car. Did you have to upgrade software? Have you noticed any lean condition? some claim they had a lean condition on their E55 HPS setups on the Gen1. I am very interested. thanks

Nitrogenbalance
11-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by omeyhomey
I am interested in doing HPS SC to my E55 W210 car. Did you have to upgrade software? Have you noticed any lean condition? some claim they had a lean condition on their E55 HPS setups on the Gen1. I am very interested. thanks

Have you checked out mbworld.org? There is a bunch of older stuff on there when a few had the Gen 1 HPS systems. The Gen 2 systems are a bad idea. The Gen 1 system is what I have but it is better fit for the 4.3 V8s I think. The blower has to spin alot faster to fill the 5.5 discplacment to where the increase in heat negates the added boost. The 4.3's see better gain % at the same boost level. My C43 will most likely make an easy 400whp once I get a chance to finish a few pretty basic changes to it. You can easily see the same with the 5.5 as it's been done. You just need to tweak a couple areas of the system. Its seems to many that HPS just got the system to work and stopped there. The Gen 1 really is great though, the positive discplacement superchargers are really funny to drive with all the low end grunt. You can do rolling burnouts all day.

Also, if you don't like mechanical noise this isn't for you. Its loud, and sounds like you have a nest of eagles stuck in your engine fan. Only under boost however, stock note when cruising