PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever have a cracked brake pad

Benz916
08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
So i was hearing a noise from the front, brake related, I took the pads out and one of the pads looked like it was in the process of being cut like a loaf of bread...the crack was along the surface that does not touch the rotor. How the hell did that happen? I can only think from the pads heating up too much, but that car never gets any type of spirited driving. I bought the pads from the dealership so is there any type of return policy...the pads have like 80 percent of brake pad left. I have had the pads on for about 8 months.

c280nz
08-17-2006, 10:12 PM
one of the pistons in the caliper may be jammed, restricting movement?

Benz916
08-17-2006, 10:52 PM
how would restricting movement cause the pad to crack? I think I just got a bad set of pads...order some new ones...hopefully they dont crack up...which i doubt cuz i have never seen this before.

rman
08-18-2006, 09:30 AM
i've never cracked one, but i've seen that a million times. It's just caused by heat, and it'll make some noise (as you've experienced)

nothing out of the ordirnary, it's just not a normal everyday thing. Working at a high volume shop (sears UTC), i saw that maybe once every 1-2 months

Benz916
08-18-2006, 12:28 PM
thanks for the replies. My car is on jack stands...the brakes should be in today or tomorrow. Sucks not having a car.

Abuimad
08-19-2006, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Benz916
thanks for the replies. My car is on jack stands...the brakes should be in today or tomorrow. Sucks not having a car.

well at least its for a day or two....

c280nz
08-19-2006, 10:17 PM
well thats your answer ^
what i was spectualting on (i dont know if itd cause it just a thought) was that if one side piston on the slave cylinder was jammed it would push the pad unevenly possibly causing it to crack :confused: thats all.
good luck with the new pad install :)