PDA

View Full Version : Intake air temp

black96benz
08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
I have a ScanGaugeII OBD2 diagnostic tool. It reads out the intake air temp while driving and updates it every two seconds from the computer. The stock intake will read the same as the outside air temp display on the dash below 85 degrees F(coolant stays around 80 degrees C on my car). Up until about 100 degrees it will only be around 2 degrees hotter. The biggest difference I have seen while driving is 106 degrees outside and the intake air temp sensor at 113 degrees going 55mph (with coolant around 95-100 degrees C). Just thought I would share because I know a lot of people want custom cold air intakes. The only benefit to those might just be more air velocity if its placed right. Mercedes knew what they were doing when they put the intake track in the grill. Just a K&N box filter should be fine if you want a true cold air intake. Agree or disagree???

alphanumeric
08-17-2006, 11:44 PM
also with the Supercharged C230 guys.. we can go with an alky injection on the m45 supercharger.. iv heard 25-30hp gains just with this, as it drops the intake air to ambiant

irieite
08-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by black96benz
Mercedes knew what they were doing when they put the intake track in the grill. Just a K&N box filter should be fine if you want a true cold air intake. Agree or disagree???

Agreed.

Allot more engineering went into the stock airbox than one might think. MB has to compete with other manufacturers in terms of HP as best they can and if something as simple as the air intake is costing them HP, they'd be all over it.

There are no baffles or tight bends on mine and it gets cooler air from outside the engine compartment, all stock. As a bonus, it's made out of an insulated material, plastic. The shiny chrome plated metal aftermarket intakes all conduct heat quite easily from the engine and exhaust. Maybe they should be called "hot air intakes". :D

At least they look pretty.. :rolleyes:

OCKlasse
08-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by irieite
Agreed.

Allot more engineering went into the stock airbox than one might think. MB has to compete with other manufacturers in terms of HP as best they can and if something as simple as the air intake is costing them HP, they'd be all over it.

There are no baffles or tight bends on mine and it gets cooler air from outside the engine compartment, all stock. As a bonus, it's made out of an insulated material, plastic. The shiny chrome plated metal aftermarket intakes all conduct heat quite easily from the engine and exhaust. Maybe they should be called "hot air intakes". :D

At least they look pretty.. :rolleyes:

I built a custom fabricated cold-air (http://club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8601) and I can vouch that it DOES make a difference. The biggest difference is in the size of the piece between the throttlebody and the MAS. I increased that piece to three inches (volumetric efficiency) that helped out significantly with throttle response. As far as the "aluminum" is concerned, I recently wrapped the entire intake with header heat wrap, and it DOES keep the heat out. It is not as aethestically appealing as it once was, but I can honestly say that this intake definately helped as far as power is concerned (especially on a cold night).

I will also go on the record and say I have gained around 20-40 miles per tank with the intake.

irieite
08-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
As far as the "aluminum" is concerned, I recently wrapped the entire intake with header heat wrap, and it DOES keep the heat out.

I will also go on the record and say I have gained around 20-40 miles per tank with the intake.

20-40 more miles per tank full seems like a difference a change of season or driving conditions could make. Having said that, I'm not going to argue with you, being as I've never tried your system.

I can say however that most people do not wrap these things, and also that most are not sealed off from the heat of the engine compartment. Either of which would negate the added benefit of the added "volumetric efficiency".

OCKlasse
08-18-2006, 08:02 PM
20-40 more miles per tank full seems like a difference a change of season or driving conditions could make. Having said that, I'm not going to argue with you, being as I've never tried your system.

I can say however that most people do not wrap these things, and also that most are not sealed off from the heat of the engine compartment. Either of which would negate the added benefit of the added "volumetric efficiency".

I will also add that I only drive city, and I live in Orange County, where the weather does not change significantly. I am not sure whether you agree with me on my wrapping the intake, but even before I wrapped it, I still felt the effects of the increased pipe size. Before when the car would kick down, it would take significantly longer to do so, and although the effects would to an exstant "wear off" after hard driving, it was still noticeable enough.

irieite
08-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
I will also add that I only drive city, and I live in Orange County, where the weather does not change significantly. I am not sure whether you agree with me on my wrapping the intake, but even before I wrapped it, I still felt the effects of the increased pipe size. Before when the car would kick down, it would take significantly longer to do so, and although the effects would to an exstant "wear off" after hard driving, it was still noticeable enough.

Just so you know; I'm not dissin' your intake and I agree that wraping it will help..

OCKlasse
08-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Just so you know; I'm not dissin' your intake and I agree that wraping it will help..

oh ok, I could not figure out exactly what you meant...