PDA

View Full Version : Fog lamp replacement

Polestar
08-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Should be easy, but I can't figure how the fog lamp bulb comes out!
I'm able to detach the socket from the headlamp assembley, but when I try to pull the bulb out, it doesn't budge. What am I doing wrong?:confused:

BTW, this is on a '99 C280 where the fog lamp is in the headlight assembly.

irieite
08-18-2006, 04:43 PM
There's a spring that holds it in. Look closely. You push the end of the spring in, swing it away and replace the bulb. If you need an illustration or a clearer explanation, please let me know.

irieite
08-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by irieite
There's a spring that holds it in. Look closely. You push the end of the spring in, swing it away and replace the bulb. If you need an illustration or a clearer explanation, please let me know.

Just re-read your original post and noticed you mentioned that you have HID headlamps in your sig. Don't know if they're the same as the standard units or not, as far as the foglamps are concerned..

Polestar
08-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Yea, I think they are the same, but not sure. The fog lamp is totally separate from the HID lamp.
I called a dealer and they said they'd replace the bulb if I come in.
Somethinf free from a dealer-now theres something you don't see every day.

97C28O
08-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Free bulb? I wonder if the dealer I'm going to to get the high mount brake light bulb would give me a free one... Anyone know were I can get the bulb? Sylvania 64115. And yes I checked my local auto store and they said they can't sell it and I'd have to go to the dealer to buy them.

Polestar
08-19-2006, 07:32 AM
Free bulb?

Naw-no free bulb. The bulb is $10.50 at the dealer (Which I'm sure is twice the price it should be.) It's just that the service dept. said they'd put it in for free. Sorry for the confusion.

97C28O
08-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I see... The brake light I checked at the local store costed 9$ wonder how much gonna cost at the dealer..

Polestar
08-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Epiloque: I couldn't remove the blub because the base had melted the plastic socket and they were fused together. The service tech got them apart with brute force. Glad I had them do it, cause I'd never have applied that much force, not knowing how the parts were affixed.:confused:

therock2689
08-21-2006, 02:57 AM
That happened on my 2000 c230k. i just went to the local auto parts and got a new H1 harness and just soldered that in and got a new blub and it worked out great, even though like a week after that i got in a accident and got new headlight assembelys

Polestar
08-21-2006, 06:26 AM
i just went to the local auto parts and got a new H1 harness

Cool, because the socket is a little loose now and the parts guy couldn't find a replacement. It works now, but if it gets worse I'll do the same. Thanks for the info.