View Full Version : Brabus wheel quality?

benzfan
08-25-2006, 08:11 AM
I have been running a set of Brabus Monobloc V wheels for about a year now. Recently, one of them started leaking in several places right through the casting and powder coat. I have been told by a couple of places now that it is not reparable. One place tried a small TIG weld and it wouldn't take properly due to the alloy used in the wheel itself. So here I am trying to find a single wheel for a discontinued model.

This is the 3rd set of aftermarket wheels I've owned over the years on different cars, and I've had real problems with all 3. I would just junk the whole set if I hadn't bought new rubber only a month ago. Since these are 18s, I can't use the rubber on the factory rims. BTW, there is no evidence at all of damage to the wheel, the casting is just not very good.

Anyone else have any aftermarket wheel problems, or is my luck that bad?

714guy
08-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by benzfan
I have been running a set of Brabus Monobloc V wheels for about a year now. Recently, one of them started leaking in several places right through the casting and powder coat. I have been told by a couple of places now that it is not reparable. One place tried a small TIG weld and it wouldn't take properly due to the alloy used in the wheel itself. So here I am trying to find a single wheel for a discontinued model.

This is the 3rd set of aftermarket wheels I've owned over the years on different cars, and I've had real problems with all 3. I would just junk the whole set if I hadn't bought new rubber only a month ago. Since these are 18s, I can't use the rubber on the factory rims. BTW, there is no evidence at all of damage to the wheel, the casting is just not very good.

Anyone else have any aftermarket wheel problems, or is my luck that bad?

Its probably just your luck. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've had my Brabus Wheels for 4 years now, and They've never leaked or have i had any problems. I check my tire pressure monthly and rarely do I have to add air.

Could it be the tires not sealing right?

benzfan
08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by 714guy

Could it be the tires not sealing right?

Nope. If you squirt soapy water along the inner section of the rim, a long way away from the bead, you can see bubbles in several places, right through the aluminum.

c280steve
08-27-2006, 10:36 AM
that to me is insane

i would contact brabus and tell them, basically demand 1 new rim in exchange for your pourus aluminum rim?!

benzfan
08-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Unfortunately I bought them used. I have a new one on order as of the morning. BTW, they're made for Brabus by Ronal.

benzfan
09-08-2006, 04:50 PM
New wheel arrived today. Thank goodness Brabus had one in stock and was willing to sell just one. I'm going to try to clean the old one up as a spare. I'll clean up and redo the failed weld myself with my TIG and seal the inside of the rim with a new powder coat. I wish the repair shop had simply redone the powder coat in the first place after checking for cracks. It would have saved me $842CDN for the replacement rim. I can't for the life of me figure out why a less than pinhole leak (1lb per day) demands a coin-size weld blob rather than a simple sealant. Castings are porous, and new rims have a powder coat on the inside to help seal that porosity. Sometimes I wonder about 'experts'.

BTW, I was told that Brabus North America will no longer be stocking C-class parts. Special order only in future.