PDA

View Full Version : Is changing Waterpump a DIY job?

714guy
08-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Hello

I wanted to change my water pump along with the multi-ribed Belt. I was wondering how hard it is. Are there any special tools you need. Has anybody ever done it before.

I am a pretty handy guy. I've lowered a bunch of MBs, changed LCA bushings, changed motor and tranny mount, and etc. I think I am skilled enough, but wanted to see if there are anything tricky about removing the belt, the pulley, and the waterpump.

Does a waterpump loses it efficiency after it gets old. My car has 130K miles, and I've had the car since 65K and haven't changed the Waterpump. I wanted too see if it helps with the engine temp.

I just did a complete NOKIA8890 coolant flush and it worked great. But still high temp when I am siting in traffic. So trying the next cheapest thing.

thanks

jason

JRE320
08-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Have you tried changing your thermostat?

jnenad16
08-25-2006, 04:59 PM
do my thermostat and thermoswitch mod.

nenad

1995c280
08-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by jnenad16
do my thermostat and thermoswitch mod.

nenad

without a doubt the best mod i have ever done to my car. still saying thanks nenad, LOL!

as for the waterpump...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!!!

you'll know when it croaks...then you can replace it. every 202 runs hott as there is really no way around it, but the thermostat and switch mod REALLY reduced temps.

Jason

Pagz
08-25-2006, 06:22 PM
yip,only replace the pump if its leaking from the seal/bearing drain on the underside of the pump,or if the bearings have failed...

I have changed mine because i wanted the N/A models shorter drive shaft then the Komp model...I was not suprised to see the impaller has been changed from a cast-machined close tolerance item to a crappy pressed steel with square edges and poor clearances...i would suspect the older one to be more efficient...
another cost saving tactic no doubt!...

Paul

714guy
08-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
Have you tried changing your thermostat?

yes, i always too that when i change my coolant.

hmm but whats this thermoswitch mod?

Anybody know how easy it is to change that belt?? mine is looking a bit warned out.

jnenad16
08-25-2006, 11:55 PM
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9611&highlight=thermostat+lower
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8935&highlight=thermostat+lower
and I think there might be a few more.

nenad