PDA

View Full Version : Chip

1SIKBNZ
08-26-2006, 11:25 AM
So i have a 99c280. what am i looking at pricewise and performance wise with a chip? any recomendations on a certain one? thanks!

JRE320
08-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Not worth it with a chip. It cost like $300 or so. From 197 hp or 205 hp. Think about it.. ;)

benzfan
08-26-2006, 04:38 PM
There is very little a chip can do for you. Think about it;

1) The air/fuel ratio cannot be varied much at all. The optimum is set by the physical laws of combustion. That and your O2 sensor. If you try silly things like trying to fool the MAF sensor temperature probe to think that you're intake air temperature is colde than it is to add more fuel, the effect will be temporary, as the O2 sensor will sense unburned fuel in your exhaust and lean it out to compensate. The only time your O2 sensor doesn't do this is under full-throttle conditions. In this case, and only in this case will a fuel/air remap do anything. On the street, you won't benefit.

2) Most chips claim incresed fuel mileage. How do they do that if you would really prefer to add a bit more fuel to the fire? They do it by remapping the timing. Specifically, they advance the timing under most conditions on you. This is less than desirable unless you live in Alaska. When intake air temperatures rise, as they do in the summer, you will be relying so heavily on the knock sensor to avoid engine damage that sometimes they cannot compensate enough, and you knock under load. If you have a ridiculously low-compression engine (that eliminates most Mercedes), you can push the timing further and actually see a benefit under most conditions.

On most Mercedes, the chipping benefit is minimal, and you can see drivability problems quite easily. So no, it's not really worth it.

On a forced-induction car, there are usually benefits to be had, but usually the boost pressure is raised, and of course this provides a noticable increase in power, but again, drivability sometimes suffers.

The timing issue is particularly prevalent in my C36. I chipped it, and it was definitely faster in the dead of a northern winter. In summer, however, it knocked and knocked. So badly, that I had the program removed. It is apparent that AMG pushed the timing as far as practical, and there is no hidden power available to be unleashed. Not cheaply, anyway.

I am not against chipping, but it needs to be evaluated as part of a whole package, and not relied upon for miracles.

Powerslave
09-11-2006, 03:53 AM
hey mates... what can I do as fas as the ECU part?

all ecu tuners here tell me NO!

i've got tha c180 non-kompressor '98

plz help!

Proven Guilty
09-11-2006, 07:31 AM
the best ecu upgrade for a non-kompressor 180 is to perform an engine swap :p lol