PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting Bose Sound System?

fwbennett
08-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I just bought a '99 C230 Kompressor. Not all the speakers were working when I bought it - I THOUGHT it would be an easy fix. I've read most if not all the Bose posts but I ended up with more questions than answers. I appreciate any help!
1st) There was no sound comming out of either rear deck speakers (woofes?) so I pulled both of them and put a known good speaker to the wires and got nothing but now I've learned that the originals are 2ohm and the test one is probably a 4 or 8 ohm (it's not marked) should I have gotten sound out of it? I took the 2 from the car into the house and hooked them to the stereo and did get sound out of them. So it looks like the wiring is bad? Anyone got any tips for troubleshooting a STOCK Bose system? Can just the output of the amp to one speaker go bad - or should I be inspecting the wiring for a short? The driver's Door and dash don't work and the Passenger rear door doesn't work.
Are there other sources for replacement speakers besides the MBZ Dealer? From my reading I understand the Infinity Kaapa (sp?) is 2 ohm speaker line - do they have direct replacement sizes.
OK once I get it all back to good-as-new and I want a bit more power - there appears to be a way to integrate another amp into the system - is there a good link that explains this. Thanks so much for any help!

audiophile
08-28-2006, 09:11 PM
your amp is the probable cause of this headcahe.
i would recommend just replacing the speakers and get a new head unit. sounds better too. ;)

davis449
08-29-2006, 05:15 AM
Yeah, if you're amp is bad, I would just spend an extra $500 (from what the dealer will charge you for a new amp) and replace everything.

benzonline
08-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Heard its rare for the amps to go on the 202s and esp a 99 model....but it looks like it has gone for sure. Easiest thing to do is have the BOSE amp rebuilt and add a subwoofer to the system....beautiful sound.

Hokke
08-29-2006, 10:34 AM
here is the Wiring diagram (http://koti.welho.com/hpietari/Bose.pdf) and testing diagram, hope this helps

1995c280
08-29-2006, 01:40 PM
actually the amps do go out every now and then on the 202's. it's the fader that internally shorts causing lose of some sound or all sound. i upgraded my entire system in my 95' c280 cuz it wasn't loud enough for me so i have a factory bose amp sitting in my room right now if you want it. works perfect (no defects or flaws). let me know if your interested.

Jason

benzonline
08-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Once in a blue moon what happens on my bose is I turn on the stock head unit and NO sound comes out...CD/tape...doesnt matter no sound. Then I would shut it on and off a few times and its back to normal....what would this be?

matt09
08-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by benzonline
Once in a blue moon what happens on my bose is I turn on the stock head unit and NO sound comes out...CD/tape...doesnt matter no sound. Then I would shut it on and off a few times and its back to normal....what would this be?
Same thing here, but only my rear speakers stop working.

fwbennett
08-29-2006, 06:28 PM
OK I can get the amp fixed for $200=>$300 but I still won't have the ability to play CD's (the car didn't come with a changer and they're going for around $200 on eBay so I'd be looking at $400+ so a whole new system may be in order.
I understand my current system is a 6 channel amp? But I have 8 speakers - so how does that work out. I guess a standard head unit would drive 4 speakers so I guess I'd be looking at another 6 channel amp? Then since the stock speakers are 2ohm I need to replace all 8 speakers? Can I use any of the existing wiring or am I looking at running new wires? So the stock head unit is wired directly to the amp then the speaker distribution is from the amp?
I'm familar with wiring just your basic head unit to 4 speakers but I'm a little lost when you throw an amp in the middle and 6 chanels but 8 speakers. Any help would be appreciated!!!

aflicted
11-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Hokke
here is the Wiring diagram (http://koti.welho.com/hpietari/Bose.pdf) and testing diagram, hope this helps

I heart you so much, you have no idea. I've been looking for this info for a while

Logic
12-11-2007, 08:16 AM
i have a 99 c230 (not bose) and the deck is runnig all 8 speakers with no problem but you need to know how to hook them up to play right. if i was you i would get a decent deck , and if funds are there a good four channel amp. the 4 channel amp will run those speakers just fine .

benzonline
01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I just received the Alpine Audio 10!..God Damn that thing troubleshooted my BOSE in a good way! It came to life!:D Excruciating loud and clear.

My friend who owns a audio shop heard it and could not beleive its all stock with just a sub.

chriswm
05-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Looks like that Bose wiring diagram is no longer available at that site. Anyone have a copy that you could re-post or email to me?