PDA

View Full Version : Stock 98 C230...got the SQUEAKS!

roughpastels
08-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey all, I just joined the club. I just picked up a 98 C230 from a MB dealer in CT. It's in MINT shape with a flawless interior. The car had one owner in a 5 year lease and afterwards it became a part of the MB dealer's loaner fleet so it's been very well maintained. It's only got 45k miles on it! I love the car but there are so many squeaks and noises in the suspension and brakes. The brakes screetch like hell and they're only half worn down. Any suggestions for a modest suspension upgrade that won't drop the car at all? It's in such nice shape and I'd like to keep it as stock as I can get but I've been bitten by the club202 bug and I'm thinking of upgrades. My dad says there's a spray to keep the brakes from screaming but I hear it only lasts so long. Thanks in advance, some of you guys have killer cars.

1995c280
08-29-2006, 02:26 PM
welcome to the club. i'm from milford, CT and i work at mercedes of fairfield. is that where u bought the car from? as for the brakes, BG makes a product you apply to the brake pad to stop the noises for a while but it also eats up the brakes. only way to solve the problem is new pads and rotors. if you go aftermarket, they are really not that expensive for your car and if your in the area i can do them for you if you don't have a mechanic already or don't do repairs yourself. for lowering the car the easiest way for a subtle drop is to check the thickness of the spring pads and usually the fronts have a high pad so you can change that for a slight drop and an even slighter drop on the rear.

p.s. once the first mod goes on your car...there is no turning back, HAHA! and it surely never ends!!!!!

Jason

trymonlam
08-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 1995c280

p.s. once the first mod goes on your car...there is no turning back, HAHA! and it surely never ends!!!!!

Jason

yup. he's right.

97C28O
08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by roughpastels
Hey all, I just joined the club. I just picked up a 98 C230 from a MB dealer in CT. It's in MINT shape with a flawless interior. The car had one owner in a 5 year lease and afterwards it became a part of the MB dealer's loaner fleet so it's been very well maintained. It's only got 45k miles on it! I love the car but there are so many squeaks and noises in the suspension and brakes. The brakes screetch like hell and they're only half worn down. Any suggestions for a modest suspension upgrade that won't drop the car at all? It's in such nice shape and I'd like to keep it as stock as I can get but I've been bitten by the club202 bug and I'm thinking of upgrades. My dad says there's a spray to keep the brakes from screaming but I hear it only lasts so long. Thanks in advance, some of you guys have killer cars.

Hey! Welcome to Club202. I have this problem on my car too. However it only happens when i first drive the car few mins. Example: When I get in the car, you can hear like a cranking/squeaking noise. And when I press the brakes and release very little that the car doesn't move you can hear squeaking too! HELP!

1995c280
08-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 97C28O
Hey! Welcome to Club202. I have this problem on my car too. However it only happens when i first drive the car few mins. Example: When I get in the car, you can hear like a cranking/squeaking noise. And when I press the brakes and release very little that the car doesn't move you can hear squeaking too! HELP!

what is the condition of your belt, belt tensioner, and idler pulley. you said when you get it the car you hear squeeking and your not moving yet, correct? also check p/s fluid level or the filter in the reservior could be clogged for the squeeking noise at the first few minutes like you said. i would check those out first rather than assuming a brake problem! i'm just trying to think of squeeking related issues you might have although it could be something else...

Jason

97C28O
08-29-2006, 07:44 PM
what is the condition of your belt, belt tensioner, and idler pulley. you said when you get it the car you hear squeeking and your not moving yet, correct? also check p/s fluid level or the filter in the reservior could be clogged for the squeeking noise at the first few minutes like you said. i would check those out first rather than assuming a brake problem! i'm just trying to think of squeeking related issues you might have although it could be something else...

Jason

LOL, that's a lot of things to check and I'm not very technical with the engine area... My car is about to hit 60k And in the manual it says something about bushings and belts? Is it recommended to go to stealership to get this 60k maintence?

1995c280
08-29-2006, 07:51 PM
HAHA...if you want to fork out almost $2,000
60k is "B" service, diff, tranny, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, coolant flush, brake fluid flush, p/s fluid flush, & fuel injection system cleaner.

best advice is go to a indy shop near you who has a good reputation with benz's and have them perform the service's for you and they can check on your noise while their at it.

Jason

roughpastels
08-30-2006, 07:09 AM
welcome to the club. i'm from milford, CT and i work at mercedes of fairfield. is that where u bought the car from? as for the brakes, BG makes a product you apply to the brake pad to stop the noises for a while but it also eats up the brakes. only way to solve the problem is new pads and rotors. if you go aftermarket, they are really not that expensive for your car and if your in the area i can do them for you if you don't have a mechanic already or don't do repairs yourself. for lowering the car the easiest way for a subtle drop is to check the thickness of the spring pads and usually the fronts have a high pad so you can change that for a slight drop and an even slighter drop on the rear.

Jason

hey jason, i got the car at carriage house of new london. the fairfield people are pretty cool, i just got some all weather mats and some valve covers from them not too long ago. i live in brooklyn, NY now and drive to CT to see my folks once or twice a week. it's good to know that you're available to do some work on my car...i'd greatly appreciate that! i tried PMing you but it didn't seem to work...