PDA

View Full Version : Any leads on a used C36 intake x-over pipe?

Dan Wang
08-30-2006, 07:59 AM
I just purchased a 1997 E320 and want to install the C36 intake tube.

Does anyone have a lead on one of these? Any idea on HP gain?

thanks
Dan Wang

newbenz2
08-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Patomic pat... give him a call maybe at the mist you will gain something like 2 horse tops

Dan Wang
08-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by newbenz2
Patomic pat... give him a call maybe at the mist you will gain something like 2 horse tops

Is that all this piece is good for? The cross over tube looks alot larger than the stock piece. I'm sure there has to be more than @ ponies.

Dan

jnenad16
08-30-2006, 11:31 AM
not unless your displacement increases. the stock pipe is matched to your engine's needs for air flow, so the larger one wont give you some noticable gains, infact, you might loose some low end torque.

nenad

Dan Wang
08-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by jnenad16
not unless your displacement increases. the stock pipe is matched to your engine's needs for air flow, so the larger one wont give you some noticable gains, infact, you might loose some low end torque.

nenad

I disagree with the statement that the displacement needs to be increased. The stock pipe is matched to the stupid CARB and EPA rules, NOT to the engine. The stock engine is developed to ensure reliability and longevity for the normal car owner. Like others on this forum, I am not the normal owner. The stock engine has more potential than the manufacturer reports. With an increase in airflow and less resistance of that flow, the engine will produce more power if the fuel is matched by the air mass sensor.

My guess is that the air x-over piece will generate about 6-8 additional HP. But I guess we wont know until someone dyno's it back to back.

jnenad16
08-30-2006, 07:51 PM
the intake system tuning is somewhat like the exhaust system tuning. every time you increase its capacity over stock, you might get a few more HP in the high range, but you will most likely loose some low range torque. now, difference between the exhaust and intake is that if you decrease the size of the exhaust from stock, you will loose power no matter what, but if you decrease size of the intake from stock, you actually might gain some power. the main reason for this is the extra vacuum created from smaller draw area, which in turn increases the air velocity. a few of your members, such as speedybenz and cklasse have tested and proved this theory.

nenad