PDA

View Full Version : Official MB Cleaning/Waxing products, yay or nay?

roughpastels
08-30-2006, 04:19 PM
hey all, wanted to know if anyone uses the official MB shiz to clean/wax their cars. if so, is it worth it? i see it all the time at the service center. if not, anyone have any suggestions on the best wax out there? i have a 98' C230 obsedian black and i'd like to get rid of some swirling on the paint. thanks...

knvs
08-30-2006, 04:35 PM
not worth it. Just pick up some klasse all in one polish and klasse sealant. I wouldn't use anything else except a clay bar every 6 months.

97C28O
08-30-2006, 04:38 PM
I use Meguiars NXT Tech Paste Wax with the Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner. I think they do a pretty good job. And about your black 202... with swirls... I have them ALL over my car... I was told that if I wanted those swirls gone, I would have to bring it to a professional detailing shop. That's going to cost about $150? I have used the Polish that is said to remove some swirls.. But I don't think it did a good job..

1995c280
08-30-2006, 04:54 PM
i use the Meguiars NXT Tech Paste Wax all the time of my 202. one of the best products i have every used. on my black saleen i use turtle wax ICE (the liquid spray wax). i was never a fan of turtle wax products and always hated the results but on a black car, they outdid themselves with this one. little spray on a cloth and one wipe on a black car with 100% no streaks or swirls/scratches. i won't use anything else on a dark color car besides that from now on! my advice for a killer shine is use the Meguiars NXT Tech Paste Wax first then followed by the turtle wax ICE liquid wax. unbelivable shine !!!!!!!!!!

look how the combo of the two came out on my car at the last show with all handwaxing, no buffing at all (overcast day keep in mind)
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/552547160/2533330940055149260rqvUwD

Jason

roughpastels
08-30-2006, 05:24 PM
jesus jason, that thing is screaming. i'll pick some of that paste and the ice stuff up tomorrow. only problem is i don't have access to a hose since i live in the city. next time i'm in CT i'll try it out. thanks again for your help.

knvs
08-30-2006, 06:57 PM
the reason why you're getting swirl marks is because your washing your car with a dirty sponge, or wiping it with a dirty rag. Why you polish your car, you want to make sure u put the polish on side to side and top to bottom, never do small circles. You're just going to add to the swirl marks when you do circles. Same thing when you wipe the polish off, side to side and top to bottom. Think more of "paint the fence" and "paint the house" instead of "wax on, wax off" :D

Renn 208
08-30-2006, 07:54 PM
There are lots of good options in terms of waxes...the key though is in the prep and your use of the products, waxes just seal the deal:

Some highly regarded systems are:

Meguires Pro Line
Meguires NXT (easy to use)
Klasse
Zymol
Zaino

To get rid of swirls, as hinted earlier, you need to make sure that you don't put them on in the first place...once you figure out exactly how they're getting there...you can get rid of the existing swirls with a random orbital polisher or take it to a professional detailer.

iwhocorrupts
08-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I use Zymol, its shiny :)

...and it smells like coconuts!

rollinrealbig
08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
I have the MB cleaning package ,

I got it wen i got the w203. its good I guess nothing special about it, the leather treatment isnt notacible the next day, car wash soap is crap same with window cleaner, the stain remover is no better then any Oxy clean that ive used before.

not worth it is right. :rolleyes:

97C28O
08-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by knvs
the reason why you're getting swirl marks is because your washing your car with a dirty sponge, or wiping it with a dirty rag. Why you polish your car, you want to make sure u put the polish on side to side and top to bottom, never do small circles. You're just going to add to the swirl marks when you do circles. Same thing when you wipe the polish off, side to side and top to bottom. Think more of "paint the fence" and "paint the house" instead of "wax on, wax off" :D

I use a plush sponge and a microfiber mitten( Sometimes ) then when I dry the car i use Microfiber Towels. And wbout applying polish, I followed the instructions and i used those applicator pads from meguiars. Does little circles make much differnece between the "fence" method?

Renn 208
08-30-2006, 10:07 PM
I never do circles...actually I don't paint the fence either...all my wash and dry strokes are along the length of the car.

benzonline
08-31-2006, 04:58 AM
I bought once the "MB Paint Care", actually I still have it and used it a few times and the problem it doesnt seem strong enough....doesnt last long and the paint isnt as slick.

aznw202
08-31-2006, 05:16 AM
i started a little detailing business a while back and some products that i use to washt he car is eagle soap. It does a good job of getting dirt off the car. I use a microfiber mitten to wash it. To get ride of the break dust that probably a lot of mercedes car owners have is using also eagles. I tried a lot of products and they seem to work really well. Just have to spray it on and let it sit for a little and holes it off. No much scrubing is needed unless your break dust have been sitting there for a while. When drying off i recommed use a shammy. It soaps up a lot and does leave alot of streak marks. When it comes to detailing. I dont really like to use the paste waxes. I like to use a clay bar first to fill in minor scratches and some swirl markes and then use a liquid wax to wax the whole car. for wax i like to use zymol. Lexol is great for leather, condition and cleaner is both needed to keep the leather in the car lasting.. Your going to have to detail the car a few times to get the cars paint looking like new. to much can cause oxidation and then ruin your paint to. some waxes can ruin your paint. Spend a little more for something better. Its a mercedes, it deserves something good.

roughpastels
08-31-2006, 06:56 AM
wow guys thanks for your suggestions. i have a lot of options to check out here. benzonline: that 99 C230K Classic is top shelf looking man...never seen one on the road before. way to go.

roughpastels
08-31-2006, 07:04 AM
also, one more thing...that piece of fabric that runs along the bottom of the door jam just before it turns to the plastic runner thing...what do you guys use to clean that? people keep thrashing that in my car...makes me want to shoot things.

Renn 208
08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by aznw202
i started a little detailing business a while back and some products that i use to washt he car is eagle soap. It does a good job of getting dirt off the car. I use a microfiber mitten to wash it. To get ride of the break dust that probably a lot of mercedes car owners have is using also eagles. I tried a lot of products and they seem to work really well. Just have to spray it on and let it sit for a little and holes it off. No much scrubing is needed unless your break dust have been sitting there for a while. When drying off i recommed use a shammy. It soaps up a lot and does leave alot of streak marks. When it comes to detailing. I dont really like to use the paste waxes. I like to use a clay bar first to fill in minor scratches and some swirl markes and then use a liquid wax to wax the whole car. for wax i like to use zymol. Lexol is great for leather, condition and cleaner is both needed to keep the leather in the car lasting.. Your going to have to detail the car a few times to get the cars paint looking like new. to much can cause oxidation and then ruin your paint to. some waxes can ruin your paint. Spend a little more for something better. Its a mercedes, it deserves something good.

1. The best way to attack brake dust is regular cleaning with regular soap. Leaving brake dust on the rim for extended perioids of time can cause it to form an acidic solution that etches your wheels.

2. If you're getting lots of streaks from your chamois...either your water is too hard (use something like Mr. Clean Autodry to filter), or you're not rinsing off the car enough.

3. Clay Bar prouducts do not "fill in scratches" but are used to remove atmospheric fallout, pollen and other gunk that sticks to your paint even after soaping. If you run your finger on your paint and it feels rough, it's a good candidate for clay baring.

4. Oxidation is more likely to come from neglect and a stripped clear coat than it is to come from "over-detailing" (unless over-detailing means using a mechanical polisher too much, or using strong grit polishes too much). You shouldn't worry about weekly wash and wax cycles.

5. If a wax ruins your paint...it's not a wax. More likely it's a strong abrasive polish, and you've used it for the wrong purpose. Carnuba based waxes are merely a top coat that seals in the product of your paint preparation.

for fabric...use a spot remover for spots, other than that perhaps a foaming upholstry cleaner....nothing too harsh.

Nitrous911
08-31-2006, 11:26 AM
Since we are on the subject of car waxes, what about for rims? Is there waxes for chrome and polished black rims? What are your guys inputs/suggestions for this topic?

taimyshukah
08-31-2006, 01:38 PM
For my stock chrom rims, i've used mothers mag and aluminum polish. On the instructions, it says its not for chrome but i tried it anyway and my rims were shiny as hell. I had caked on brake dust on there. If your rims are chrome, I suggest you use it at your own risk, its probably scratching up mine a bit but i havent noticed anything. I dont really care cuz i plan on getting new rims in the future.

http://www.1010tires.com/images/accessories/motherspolish_large.jpg

Renn 208
08-31-2006, 02:59 PM
^That stuff's great for cleaning exhaust tips too.

trymonlam
08-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 1995c280
i use the Meguiars NXT Tech Paste Wax all the time of my 202. one of the best products i have every used. on my black saleen i use turtle wax ICE (the liquid spray wax). i was never a fan of turtle wax products and always hated the results but on a black car, they outdid themselves with this one. little spray on a cloth and one wipe on a black car with 100% no streaks or swirls/scratches. i won't use anything else on a dark color car besides that from now on! my advice for a killer shine is use the Meguiars NXT Tech Paste Wax first then followed by the turtle wax ICE liquid wax. unbelivable shine !!!!!!!!!!

look how the combo of the two came out on my car at the last show with all handwaxing, no buffing at all (overcast day keep in mind)
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/552547160/2533330940055149260rqvUwD

Jason
man. that's amazing. should have went with u to the body shop that day. looks beautiful.

1995c280
08-31-2006, 04:08 PM
thanks buddy, yeah the bodyshop i go to did a wonderful job with the rear and the exhaust. came out absoulutly PERFECT!

everything good with the ball joints and the steering. - i always like to follow up on the work i do for ppl to make sure everythings OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

trymonlam
08-31-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 1995c280

everything good with the ball joints and the steering. - i always like to follow up on the work i do for ppl to make sure everythings OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

yup, things are good. u know i've got a list of stuff to do. and i will let u know when i got the money for it.

hey, have u gotten that AMG/sport rollbars from that coworker of yours? if not, want to have mine? we can work something out.

benzofanatic
08-31-2006, 10:05 PM
As far a waxing goes, this is the process -
1. Clay Bar: this removes paint contamination (particles that have settled into your cars surface) from brake dust to industrial fall out. To test, put your hand in a plastic bag and run along the cars surface, if it does not feel like glass you car should be clay bared.
2. Compound: this removes the top portion of paint/clear coat that contains the imperfections such as scratches or swirls.
3. Polish: this prepares the cars surface to be wax by removing old wax or visually reducing swirl marks/blemishes.
4. Glaze: they improve the shine/clarity of the paint as well as hide minor imperfections in the paint.
5. Wax: enhance shine and protect the cars paint.

I get all of my detailing supplies from www.properautocare.com , and I think this is a great site that will answer almost all of your questions.

benzonline
09-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by roughpastels
wow guys thanks for your suggestions. i have a lot of options to check out here. benzonline: that 99 C230K Classic is top shelf looking man...never seen one on the road before. way to go.

Thanks man! The "Classic" models are euro models and available in Canada, but not the US...and are the most basic models.

She gets detailed once a month as did with the previous owner.