PDA

View Full Version : My new springs and shocks came in!! *pics*

SLAMMED_C
09-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Well I ended up getting new sprigs and shocks.. I decided on the KW variant2 coil over kit.. yes you heard me right.. COIL OVERS!!
not true coil overs. but still close enough to it!
here are the pics...

The box!!:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_482.jpg

Variant2 coil overs for W202:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_483.jpg

All springs/shocks/adjusters:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_485.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_484.jpg

Front spring/shock/adjuster:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_486.jpg

Rear spring/shock/adjuster:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_487.jpg

The kit seems really well made.. adjusters are aluminium by the feels of things.. anozided.
the shocks are stainless steel double wall construction.. and they are externally adjustable.
the springs are YELLOW!!!.. oh well.
there is 25mm to 75mm of lowering available with the kit.. the kit uses the adjusters in place of the stock shim pads.. so no need for shim pads now.

I wil be installing the kit next week hopefully.. so stay tuned for pics of the install.

Proven Guilty
09-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Awesome! I'm eager to hear your opinion on the ride quality im compairison to your old Koni internally adjustables.

Pagz
09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
NICE man...Very Nice....Bigger pics????
hope you have decided not to cut??:D;)
get them on!

Are they a shorter travel shock?,they look it!....
mine have way too much travel on the koni setup!...

SLAMMED_C
09-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 23K
NICE man...Very Nice....Bigger pics????
hope you have decided not to cut??:D;)
get them on!

Are they a shorter travel shock?,they look it!....
mine have way too much travel on the koni setup!...
yeh they are pretty sweet!!!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_485_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_486_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/266000-266999/266992_487_full.jpg

I dont know yet!!.. still debating cutting the springs!.. I might not. just to see how it sits.
I think the shocks are shorter.. they definetly look it.. they much be shorter shocks.
I will hopefully be able to do a comparison when I install them.
lol.. tell me about it.. the Koni shocks have way too much travel!

sorry for the bad quality pics.. got a mac laptop recently. still trying to figure things out!! cant quite figure out how to ge thte pics from my digicam on my mac.. the software for the cam doesnt seem to want to work that well!
so I bluetoothed pics from my cell!!

Pagz
09-05-2006, 08:24 PM
yeh man install and see how she looks!!...those are definalty shorter travel...you can tell be the short plastic gaurd!!;)

Abuimad
09-05-2006, 10:03 PM
wow man congrats, cant wait to see the end product

lewda
09-06-2006, 10:29 AM
nice, looks sweet, how much did those run you?

Ashkan's C280
09-06-2006, 03:16 PM
kudos mate, can't wait to hear of these are on your car...

SLAMMED_C
09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 23K
yeh man install and see how she looks!!...those are definalty shorter travel...you can tell be the short plastic gaurd!!;)
no doubt shorter!! we shall have to see how much shorter then Koni!!

Yeh I will definetly let everyone know how they feel and ride..

lol.. they cost way too much!!!.. Ill PM you the price!!

c55m8o
09-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
.. the kit uses the adjusters in place of the stock shim pads.. so no need for shim pads now. What diameter are those springs? 5" or 2.5" (or in mm) I think those adjusters are exactly what I need on the inside of the top stock perch to serve as spring centering blocks for the 2.5" race springs I have. ...that is if they fit -inside- the top perch. Do they? Sorry for the barrage of questions?

rollinrealbig
09-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Looks very nice!

whats the differance between coil-overs & regular springs/shocks? ... im slow.

sacc230
09-06-2006, 06:11 PM
coilovers u can adjust to how low or high it is

rollinrealbig
09-06-2006, 06:14 PM
then what about Koni adjustable shocks ??

Pagz
09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Coil overs are height adjustable,the shocks are usually re-bound and or bound adjustable as well...usually just bound.

the koni shocks are bound adjustable only if im not mistaken...

Bound being the compressive motion and re-bound being the latter...the adjustable part being the rate at which bound or re-bound occures

SLAMMED_C
09-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by c55m8o
What diameter are those springs? 5" or 2.5" (or in mm) I think those adjusters are exactly what I need on the inside of the top stock perch to serve as spring centering blocks for the 2.5" race springs I have. ...that is if they fit -inside- the top perch. Do they? Sorry for the barrage of questions?
looks like the front springs are 4 1/4" in diameter and the rears are 4" in diameter.
yeh I would say that they would be very usefull for a set of race springs to adjust them.. dont think they are available seperatly from KW though.

Pagz
09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
A decent Engineering shop should be able to whip up a set of those adjusable perches if need be,maybe alittle pricey however...though some of the KW specs could be used to cut time;)
hey Ross how do they lock the nut from turning on those perches?
I really want this kit!...even with yellow springs:D

c280nz
09-06-2006, 10:40 PM
i thought coil overs were called that because the coil is over the shocks? or is that what you mean by near enough?
they look good quality and look pritty trick there tho slammed!!
how easy are the spring perches to adjust when in the car?
congrates on the cool setup tho!
peace

Pagz
09-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by c280nz
i thought coil overs were called that because the coil is over the shocks? or is that what you mean by near enough?
they look good quality and look pritty trick there tho slammed!!
how easy are the spring perches to adjust when in the car?
congrates on the cool setup tho!
peace

ops,Your right!...coil overs do usually mean a standard coil around a shock adjustable or not....Usually the phrase is "adjustable coil overs"...thanks logan.

SLAMMED_C
09-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by 23K
A decent Engineering shop should be able to whip up a set of those adjusable perches if need be,maybe alittle pricey however...though some of the KW specs could be used to cut time;)
hey Ross how do they lock the nut from turning on those perches?
I really want this kit!...even with yellow springs:D
Well I dont think they do lock in place.. there is only the one adjusting nut.. no locking nut.
Im wondering if they are supposed to have one!!.. usually coil over setups have that lockin nut!
I can take measurements and what not if you want the specs of the adjusters.. Ill try and do that before next week.. when they hopefully go in!

Pagz
09-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
Well I dont think they do lock in place.. there is only the one adjusting nut.. no locking nut.
Im wondering if they are supposed to have one!!.. usually coil over setups have that lockin nut!
I can take measurements and what not if you want the specs of the adjusters.. Ill try and do that before next week.. when they hopefully go in!

I see one end of the spring is ground flat,that must be the top of the spring...,i guess the weight on the nut keeps it from turning!...i would think it would turn over time however...slowly get lower lol...all good:D...thanks man,dont worry to much about the measurements...i think i'd like to buy that kit complete one day!,then i get shorter travel and springs also...NICE;)
keep us updated witht the install...plenty of pics...(not from your mobile lol)

SLAMMED_C
09-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by 23K
I see one end of the spring is ground flat,that must be the top of the spring...,i guess the weight on the nut keeps it from turning!...i would think it would turn over time however...slowly get lower lol...all good:D...thanks man,dont worry to much about the measurements...i think i'd like to buy that kit complete one day!,then i get shorter travel and springs also...NICE;)
keep us updated witht the install...plenty of pics...(not from your mobile lol)
yeh one end of the spring is flat.. so it sits against the adjusting perch flush.
I dont know!.. I would guess the weight of the car would keep them from turning.. but who knows.. and if they are already at teh lowest setting the wont turn any more so no worries about lowing over time!!
lol. okay then.. you keep saving up and just get the full kit! I dont think you will be disappointed.. but what do i know, dont have mine in yet!
they will have to be pics with my phone camera.. dont have the digi cam.. mom took it.

SLAMMED_C
09-12-2006, 07:17 PM
well Im all kinds of pissed!!
I tried to install my KW kit today.. didnt go as planned.
I dont know if my kit isnt meant for the model updated W202's.. but the adjusters from the KW kit did not fit in my spring perches. the openings in the adjuster were too small for the adjuster to seat flush inside the perch.
note: the adjuster goes in place of the rubber shim pads in the spring perches.

so I was unable to install the springs.. HOWEVER.. I did install the shocks as I really needed to.. Im sure many of you have heard me bitch about my Koni shocks leaking.. '
I am seriously amazed with these KW shocks.. I love them.. I LOVE THEM!!
they are so firm.. there is very little give in them. they just feel very solid. I have them set to about 3/4 of a turn back form full hard on teh rear and about 1/4-1/2 a turn back from being full hard up front. there is 3 turns from full soft to full hard. so a huge amount of adjustablity.
I have pics.. but since my phone is almost dead and I dont have my charger (left it at my girlfriends by mistake) I wont be able to post pics until tomorrow when i can buy another charger!!

I will now have to spend some time contacting people to find out if I do have the incorrect adjusters for the srpings.

Pagz
09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Now where have i seen this sorta sh!t happen:D..lol
man i feel your pissedness,have you been in contact with suppliers?...

Topend mailed me today..pistons are sent out tomorrow:banana:

Pagz
09-12-2006, 08:11 PM
good to hear the shocks feel good,i guess you'll need to have the whole kit installed before we really know!...somthing that is most likely weeks away lol oh man now im feeling pissed:D