PDA

View Full Version : harness!!!

GPReyes
09-10-2006, 11:47 PM
So It happened to me too... hard starting..in the beginning it would start with one click at times, and then at others not start at all..and I'd have to wait a while and try again and the engine springs to life...and once running...the car runs fine...

but recently it's been having a harder time starting... and sometimes won't start at all...

according to the mech...it's the harness which has rotted away..the dreaded nightmare of all 202 owners..

mine's a 95 c280...and I live in the Philippines...and so far the quote i got was approximately 1,200 US dollars for the f*ckin thing..

guys...need your help...can I order this online? what's the best site to get it from?? and also do I need to order a MAF/MAS as well? cause I asked about this and they said once I replace the harness it should be ok...but I really just wanna have a hassle free driving experience with my beloved 202..so if this is recommended..I'm willing t do it for the peace of mind =)

thanks guys

therock2689
09-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I would start at teh begining of teh starting chain. Check ur batt fulid level and see how that is. Have the crank-amps tested and then go to the starter. Then start checking other thinigs like MAS and other things.
Good luck with that though
Hope it works out.

GPReyes
09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
That's all been checked bro...

and the culprit as mentioned is a rotting wiring harness...

the question is where can I get one online? how much does it cost?

I can have it shipped to my cousins california address and then sent to manila...

any help with regards to the best site or place to buy would be appreciated...

thanks

therock2689
09-12-2006, 02:47 AM
Im, srry, i missed that. the only way i could think to get one is at teh dealership. i dont think to many, if anyone carryed a harness. Maybe some one may know more about it and have some where else, but i dont know anywhere else.

GPReyes
09-14-2006, 08:05 PM
help anyone??

kauaiC36AMG
09-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by GPReyes
help anyone??

You can contact Philip Reinhardt at (888) 333-4642 at Mercedes Shop. Email is philip@mercedesshop.com

He found my cross over intake tube for my C36. He also priced a wiring harness for 97 C36 AMG around $1,300.

Nice guy very helpful.

DRM
09-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Found some info some may be interested in: (mbspares.com.au)

Bio-degradable wiring looms?

Do you own a Mercedes-Benz made between 1993 and 1997?? If so, I may have some bad and good news for you. For some reason there is a serious quality control issue with the wiring looms that were for the engine management systems on these models. What happens with them is that the plastic insulation on the wires becomes very brittle and breaks away leaving bare wires. This results in short circuits which in most cases just leads to a miss in the engine, but in extreme cases results in the car simply dying on the side of the road or even worse causing the Engine Control unit (ECU) to fail. Often the symptoms of this problem occur immediately after a major service or engine work as the loom has to be moved to do this work. When it is moved, the brittle insulation breaksaway and leaves bare wires. The Photo below is of a complete engine management loom for a E220.

http://mbspares.com.au/site/files/ul/data_text02/173372.jpg

And this close up shot is of some of the connectors showing the bare wires.

http://mbspares.com.au/site/files/ul/data_text06/173372.jpg

So what is the good news? Well not that much really. This problem has been around for many years and many cars had the loom replaced under warranty when they were still under warranty or not long after the warranty expired. For some reason it seems that all of a sudden we are getting a huge call for these looms all over again and we have negotiated some super deals on them. Here are some examples:

W124 E280 early version loom, normally $2997.50, our price $1750.00
W124 E220 late version loom, normally $2270.00, our price $1300.00
W202 C220 loom, normally $3556.30, our price $2000.00

Finally why the story about them being Bio-degradable? Well, I do know that all Mercedes-Benz cars have every piece of plastic marked with what sort of plastic it is. The idea is that it is possible to strip down a Mercedes-Benz into all of the basic types and recycle it completely. It has been suggested to me by one customer that the wiring looms have been made to be Bio-degradable! A more likely scenario is that Mercedes-Benz made a poor choice back in the 90's when they selected a supplier for the looms.

94benZo
09-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I would be very interested in this if anybody has any idea where to get this harness cheaper... My car is showing the same simptoms...

crit1
09-27-2006, 07:57 AM
I also got mine from Phil at mercedesshop.com. I have a '95 C280 and I think the price was about $600. Best of luck.