PDA

View Full Version : Question: C230K vs. C43 vs. SL500 [Transmissions]

Proven Guilty
09-17-2006, 08:55 PM
This quote was taken from a review of the C43 I found from a google search from FantasyCars.com:

By far the most powerful car in its class, the C43 AMG can truly be considered a 4-door muscle car. New camshafts and freer-breathing, larger-diameter intake and exhaust systems increase the peak output to 302 horspower, 27 more than the engine it is based on used in the E430 sedan. A heavier-duty five speed manual transmission is borrowed from the SL500 and used to handle the extra power produced.

With that being said, I do have a few questions!

-Does anyone know, if in fact the automatic transmissions in the US version are also from the SL500?
-Is this the same transmission used in the 210 E55 as well?
-When you guys are doing the 4.3-->5.5L upgrades, are you guys bolting up the same transmissions you had before?
-Does the physical bolt pattern make it possible to bolt the SL500 trans up to an M111 block?
-If not, are the splines the same where the transmission could be married with a custom fab'd adapter plate?

*My goal is to find a 5-speed mercedes transmission that is solid enough up to 400hp with mild modification (if necessary) that can be found in the U.S.

This would take a lot of fab work out by using an american built preformance 5-speed (like a tremec) as well as the fact that the TCU or a custom TCU program can probably be matched up to work properly since the block and tranny would both be OEM mercedes (TCU still required with a 5-speed as far as I know, but someone please chime in if I'm wrong). Not to mention it would take out a lot of the guess work with the linkage, pedals, modifying the length of a driveshaft and all that fun stuff as well as clutches and mounting brackets!

The mad scientist has had waaay too much free time to let his mind roam the past few days.. Lol

edits:
confirmed information
-The C43 W202 transmission is the same as used in the E55 W210

jnolte
09-17-2006, 09:20 PM
i do know that the w210 e55 uses the same tranny, when doing a 55 swap into a c43 you do not need to change the tranny

Proven Guilty
09-20-2006, 06:59 AM
ttt!