PDA

View Full Version : Problems this morning

aznw202
09-19-2006, 07:00 AM
I live in ohio and the weather has gone down to the 50's. I started up my car and it was fine then when i pulled it out of my drive way the car seemed to start to jerk. It was like driving a manual for the first time and having it start in a different gear other then 1st. It was like the engine was struggling to get it going. Has anyone have this problem yet. I have a 95 c220 with 146,000 miles on it. Its high i know.

kameraguy
09-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Did you experience loss of power? Has the problem happened again after a restart?

If the problem went away after a restart, it may be the engine management going into limp mode. I'm assuming 95s have that feature.

If the problem is still present, is it the engine, or the transmission? Not sure if you can tell. if it's the engine, could be a failing spark plug or coil-pack (hopefully). If it's the tranny, could be a failing clutch pack, or it's low in tranny fluid.

I think 95s have an OBD port so maybe there are codes in the system too. If you have a cool shop to take it to, they can try and read them. It's sometimes the only way to troubleshoot further.

NEA-4311
09-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Also, and Im not saying that you arent, wait for half a minute after you start it on a cold morning, in order for the engine to heat up a little before going anywhere. This might caused the trouble as well, especially if it was momentarily.

taimyshukah
09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
I think my car does the same thing as yours. Basically, in mine, the car wont shift into the next gear right away (i think). This happens when its cold in the morning or if I haven't driven my car for a while. When i begin to accelerate at first, I can feel the car takes a little longer to shift into second and if I take my foot off the gas before it goes into second, it "jerks" forward. This maybe what you're feeling. I just keep driving at lower rpms until it warms up a bit more. Then it will go into second and be fine.

NEA-4311
09-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by taimyshukah
I think my car does the same thing as yours. Basically, in mine, the car wont shift into the next gear right away (i think). This happens when its cold in the morning or if I haven't driven my car for a while. When i begin to accelerate at first, I can feel the car takes a little longer to shift into second and if I take my foot off the gas before it goes into second, it "jerks" forward. This maybe what you're feeling. I just keep driving at lower rpms until it warms up a bit more. Then it will go into second and be fine.

my car does the same so i believe its normal. the reason that it takes longer to change gear is because of the low temperature of the engine, the ecu tries to warm it up thatswhy it jerks off if you release the pedal right before the gear change, the transmission changes up but its cold too.