PDA

View Full Version : Need Help -

kjf1234
09-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Need some opinions took my car to the Mercedes dealership today got back the codes that my car is throwing. first like to tell whats happening while driving the car jumps a lot very rough at time the rpm gauge will drop a bit and then pick up again while i am hitting the gas .

the codes i got from the shop are

P0170 - self adaptation

and

148 Sporadic Convertor lock up

Any ideas ? i replaced the MAF about 5 months ago and new air filter and oil change done last week. this whole thing has been happening for almost 3 months now but as the weather is changing getting colder its been happening a lot more . I have a 00 C230K

Any help is greatly appericiated

Proven Guilty
09-22-2006, 01:47 PM
sounds like its related to the TCU (transmission control unit).

these cars have an adaptive transmission that "learns" the style of driving you do. it could be related to a failing lock-up torque convertor, or a failing TCU.

i would try clearing the codes in the car, and see if it helps at all, as well as resetting the throttle control. i'm just leaving work now, or i'd have done a search for you to link to the instructions of how to do it.

if i recall; you basically turn the key to the on position, but don't start the car. press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it max open for 10 seconds, turn the key off for 2 minutes and its reset. start the car and it should all be clear.

to reset the codes and computer (also the TCU adaptation settings) i believe this can be done by disconnecting the battery with the key in the on position for 30 minutes.

note: do this with the driver's window down! lol DONT ASK :dead: