PDA

View Full Version : OEM LED tails?

rman
09-22-2006, 05:15 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/rmanisme/w202/121_2195x.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/rmanisme/w202/121_2196_r1.jpg

OCKlasse
09-22-2006, 05:44 PM
did you just smoke your original housings and use the new led piece and fuse the light housing and the lense together?

rman
09-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
did you just smoke your original housings and use the new led piece and fuse the light housing and the lense together?

yes.

but the OEM lense had to have a GANG OF SHIT trimmed out to make them fit. I'm pretty stoked on it, got the "quality" of LED lighting, with the OEM cleanliness and fit.

Then i smoked that shit.

i say "quality" because while the LED is a nicer light setup, the part itself sucks balls. majorly

DRM
09-22-2006, 06:04 PM
subtle change man nice work, have any night pics?

rman
09-22-2006, 06:12 PM
no night pics yet, just did it today. hopefully i'll have some soon and i'll post them up.

rollinrealbig
09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
I dont get it ... wat did you do ?? I also have my tails smoked but no LEDs.

rman
09-22-2006, 06:49 PM
rkd....

i purchased a set of LED tails off ebay

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/60000222/Images/1/ALT-KS-MBW202-LED.jpg

The original plan was to sand, smoke and clear. Well during the sanding process, i noticed that the lenses has small cracks in them. DAMN!!! can't return a tail light that i've just scuffed down!!

The cracks grew larger and larger the more i handled the lenses, and i tried to silicone the crack smooth and smoke over that, but the cracks just magnified with the spray tint. I didn't want them blacked out completely, so I just said FUCK IT.

i decided i was really happy wiht the stock lens, but one of the brake light sockets wasn't working and I really like the LEDs, so I got the cleanest looking tails i could find...

Anyhow, long story short, i took the OEM lens, trimmed a shitload of bracing and other shit out of the way, and mated that with the aftermarket LED "cluster"

rollinrealbig
09-22-2006, 07:04 PM
oh that makes sense .... not bad not bad at all!!! smart idea! cant wait to see what they look like ta night + you still have the DOT stamped so cops cant give u shit ! ;)

aruba
09-23-2006, 07:57 AM
men those turn out very nice i like them alot !!

bish0p
09-23-2006, 08:01 AM
nice job. looking real good. but tell me one thing..are they bright? because it doesn't look too bright from your picture, but then again it's a day pic. good job though.

ncd
09-23-2006, 08:33 AM
Wow impressive work, the after market ones are amazing as well, You leave me no choice but to add "led tail lights" to my ever growing, fine tuneing list.. :)

as bishop said though are they very bright?, i just tryed to give my house's hallway a touch of flair with LED down lights and their light output is very weak compared to the standard lamps... just a real world example, that said they are only able to draw a couple of hundred milliwats each.

rman
09-23-2006, 09:56 AM
thanks for all the compliments!!

are they bright?

the pics are daytime, so it is hard to tell. I will try to get some pics of it after nightfall to see, i haven't really looked into it. Although it did light up behind me while i was backing out and touched the brake....

One thing though, each LED is housed in it's own recessed little "bowl". So from certain angles (slightly above) you don't even see the lights on. I don't forsee that as a problem except for say....a lifted truck 2 feet behind me at 90mph.

Another factor is that LED tails are designed for "crystal lamps", where as these are the OEM lenses which are textured/diffused to break up the lighting a bit.
And they be smoked, yo

digital7
09-25-2006, 08:39 AM
That was an interesting rig you pulled there, it worked out perfectly for you.

I was wondering if there are any aftermarket replacements that would look like the W203 tail lights. I have a 95' C280, and Im not too big of a fan of the smoked tail light look for some reason. I prefer a more cleaner look with just clear and red. Any suggestions on how I can modify my tail like to get that look, or if you know of a store that would have something in that mold?

rman
09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by digital7
That was an interesting rig you pulled there, it worked out perfectly for you.

I was wondering if there are any aftermarket replacements that would look like the W203 tail lights. I have a 95' C280, and Im not too big of a fan of the smoked tail light look for some reason. I prefer a more cleaner look with just clear and red. Any suggestions on how I can modify my tail like to get that look, or if you know of a store that would have something in that mold?

there used to be one on ebay but lately i can't find it....they were the ones i was originally going to get.

they are still up on the web, but at much higher prices.

iamjanuar and jstrat have them on their cars.....the have a black border around them so they might look odd on a car other than black

Abuimad
09-25-2006, 10:18 PM
looks good man

DRM
01-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Did you ever get those night time shots?

rman
01-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by DRM
Did you ever get those night time shots?

nope. lol

maybe sometime this week. right now my shit is so dirty it looks like i took her muddin'

blackc230
01-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by rman
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/rmanisme/w202/121_2195x.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/rmanisme/w202/121_2196_r1.jpg

impressive!!
do have any DIY photos? I think I'm starting to like the look of LED tails

Is it possible to have some pics of the back of your taillights? I want to see how much mods is done