PDA

View Full Version : Thottle body + CEL + Emissions Test

xvvvz
09-26-2006, 09:41 AM
So... I opened things up to see if the throttle body needed cleaning. Fortunately, it was pretty much sparkling clean. Of course, that didn't stop me from shooting a little cleaner down in it just to be sure I wasn't missing anything. Totally unecessary, but being obsessive like I am... :D

I quickly reassembled everything and started her up. It took a couple of seconds for it to get started. This was expected. Surprisingly, no blue smoke out the tailpipe like with my other cars. It did run rough though. In hindsight, I should have just shut it off and then restarted it. Instead, I drove it around the block and it continued to run rough. I looked down and the CEL was on. Turned car off. Restarted. Roughness was gone and it ran fine. CEL still on though. Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes as recommended from a search of the archives here. CEL now off.

My question is whether this has left a code that will be a problem when I go to get an emissions inspection in the next day or two. I will run the car to make sure the CEL doesn't turn back on and I will run the car on the highway to get the catalytic converter nice and warm before the test. I just wonder if there will be an issue due to the CEL light recently having been on. My understanding is that in Geogia with newer cars they just plug into the computer port for the emissions test. They don't do a tailpipe test. Do you think it will be an issue?

Thanks,
Doug

1995c280
09-26-2006, 04:54 PM
you cleared all stored and current codes when you left the battery dissconnected. if the light is not on right now or when you drop the car off, YOU'll BE FINE!!!!!!

Jason

black96benz
09-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Yeah it should be fine... but drive the car for around 100 to 200 miles. This will make sure all the monitors are ready or else you will fail. I work at a shop that does smogs in CA and cars fail all the time because they unplugged or replaced their battery prior to smog. If 3 or more of the 8 monitors are not ready the car will fail the functional check but probably still pass the visual and emmisions part. Just some info so everyone knows!!

xvvvz
09-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Doug

xvvvz
09-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Mercedes tech support at the 800 number also confirmed 100 miles should be enough to allow you to pass.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Doug