PDA

View Full Version : Inner tie rod

Polestar
09-28-2006, 08:36 AM
I went to have my car aligned and the shop told me the inner tie rods were worn. That didn't shock me but what did is when they told me the entire steering rack needed to be replaced! I was told that on the '99 C280 the outer tie rods could be replaced- the inners could not. Is that true?

If so, do I need the tie rod assembly here (http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/tayco/wizard.jsp?partner=tayco&clientid=alloemautoparts.com&baseurl=http://www.alloemautoparts.com/&cookieid=1VE1A5I561WP0QAX04&year=1999&make=MB&model=C-280-002&category=M&part=Tie+Rod+Assembly)

BTW, if some one could give me a short tutorial on the '99 C280 steering parts, I'd appreciate it. Apparantly it's not a rack&pinion system?

strictlyspeakin
09-28-2006, 09:50 AM
That would be correct.
The inner joint is permanently attached to the drag link and can only be replaced with a new drag link assembly.

The outer joint is on a tie rod end which can be replaced individually. Obviously you wouldn't if you went for a whole assembly.

So you would need that whole assembly if what the shop is telling you is true.

Replacing the drag link isn't too bad if you wanted to diy. Then take it back to the shop to have them align it for you. You can find drag links on ebay for cheaper. ~$140

I can't really help with a tutorial.

SLAMMED_C
09-28-2006, 04:53 PM
that is correct.. since our cars have a steeing box as opposed to a steering rack, there is whats known as a drag link assembly that connects the steering box to the wheels (in place of a steering rack which would do the same thing) I think it was just cheaper to manufacturer a box and drag link over the steering rack.
the outer tie rods are replaceable..but the inner tie rods are not replaceable, so you need to replace the entire drag link assembly.

black96benz
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah the best deal on that assembly is at www.autohausaz.com (http://www.autohausaz.com). They have it on there for $133.55 with free shipping. List price is $250.00

renerodz
10-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Do the inner tie rods is what makes a noise when turning all the way to the stop? Just when getting to the stop, I have like a "clunck" noise when I do this but in one direction only, not on the other direction.

Tha car was aligned by the stealer just about 2 weeks ago and they did'nt mention anything about any worn part. But I just found out about this noise.

Rene
'00 C280 78K miles

Polestar
10-03-2006, 11:45 AM
:D Thanks for the help, fellas.
I'm kinda glad to replace some steering parts. I crave tight, accrurate steering systems. Anything else recommended to change while doing the job?

Beau M
11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I just ordered the drag link assembly and a new steering dampener. It says above that DIY isnt too bad, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or is it pretty straight forward? I know I need an alignment done immediately afterward.

V1Dreamer
11-14-2007, 06:01 PM
you may want to look into changing the idler arm bushings while your in there.
and the clunk your hearing may be your steering box loose.
in the left front wheel well, (driver side) you should see 3 bolt heads. check to see if any of those are loose.