PDA

View Full Version : Steering improvement

Polestar
10-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I have to change the drag-link assembly. While I'm doing this job are there any other steering parts I should replace to tighten up the steering? My understanding is the drag-link assemble comes with new ball joints.

2phast
10-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Steering shock, lower a-arms and tie rods, all play a key role in your steering. Inspect them all and replace as necessary.

jnenad16
10-05-2006, 03:20 PM
like 2phast said, except the control arms. also, the idler arm (bushing) plays a major role in steering tightness.
as for the drag link, id does not come with ball joints, it comes with tie rods(for most manufacturers, though). ball joints are not a part of the steering system, but the suspension.

nenad

Polestar
10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I've installed a new steering dampener. I'll definately rebuild the idler arm. Worn ball joints would contribute to loosness in steering-no?

jnenad16
10-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Polestar
Worn ball joints would contribute to loosness in steering-no?
yes, but so do the wheel bearings, and if he continues, he'll spend some $$$ just to perfect his steering firmness. I think he's on a budget, like all of us. :D

nenad

Polestar
10-08-2006, 01:04 PM
yes, but so do the wheel bearings

OK-so, jnenad16, do I likely get the most most improvement, with least cost, from 1. rebuilding the idler arm, 2. replacing the steering shock and 3. replacing the drag-link assembly (which is not necessarily inexpensive, but needs replacement)?
What would be your priority list?
BTW, my '99 C280 Sport has 93K mi.

jnenad16
10-08-2006, 01:29 PM
well, take a look at what has the most play, and start with that, if you have inner tie rod play, the whole drag link has to be changed, some come with outer tie rods, some dont, so check for that when ordering, the idler arm rebuild kit and steering shock are usually very cheap, and since you will be replacing the drag link, you need to remove the idler arm and the steering shock as well, so if you can kill three birds with one stone, Id say go for all of it.

nenad

Polestar
10-08-2006, 05:46 PM
you can kill three birds with one stone, Id say go for all of it.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks