PDA

View Full Version : Windows & sunroof open with key?

Espresso
10-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Today I had to use my spare keyless entry (the original to the car). I went to unlock the car, but held the unlock button down for a bit longer than normal. Then the windows & sunroof opened. I was like... WTF this isnt a VW. I see nothing about this in the owners manual, so I had no clue this was even doable on this car.

Is there a way to program my other key for it to do this? I absolutely love this feature, but cannot keep using the original key( it's messed up a bit).

sig425
10-06-2006, 01:51 PM
they should all do that. You just point the key at the sensor on the door and hold it on unlock to open or lock to close. The door lock or unlock can operate from anywhere but the window feature has to have line of sight with the sensor.

Espresso
10-06-2006, 02:13 PM
I figured that was how they worked(as most cars are like that)
But also on the keyless that I use on a daily. Unlocks all the doors at once, with no windows opening. With the original I have to hit the unlock twice. First is drivers door only, second is unlock all..hold down. Then the windows open.

I tried the double click with the one I am currently using & it doesnt work that way. It is an original mercedes keyless also. Not an ordered off Ebay knockoff.

matt09
10-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Weird, If I press the button twice, I open the trunk. Mine is a 96.

Espresso
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I have a seperate button for the trunk. One for lock, one for unlock & the trunk button. And the slide out key on the side.

matt09
10-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Espresso
I have a seperate button for the trunk. One for lock, one for unlock & the trunk button. And the slide out key on the side.
I only have one button. Press once to lock, once to unlock, twice to open the trunk, and I've only tried leaving it pressed to close all windows and sunroof, but not to open them. I'll try tomorrow.

xvvvz
10-06-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't remember if you are able to do it yourself or if you have to take it to a dealer, but the manual for your 2000 describes what steps need to be taken to switch your key so that one press opens the driver door and two presses opens all door OR you can change it so that one press of the key always opens all doors.

Doug

xvvvz
10-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, if your are standing directly to the side of your car and have the remote pointed at the door's IR/radio receptor, how far back can you be from your car and still get your key to work (referring to locking/unlocking)? I think I can be around 30 feet max. Sometimes the remote wants me to be a bit closer.

Espresso
10-06-2006, 03:47 PM
My owners manual mentions nothing of how to program the remotes or what they do.

I've had it the furthest away about 6 car parking spaces wide(not empty spots so the remote wasnt pointing directly at the car, but towards it). I dont have to point the remote at the car for it to lock/unlock or windows down. With the original remote I can be inside the house & put the windows down. The one I use on a daily basis is the same, but like stated I cannot put the windows down with it.

I always wondered what the little squares on the handles were for.

xvvvz
10-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Wow. That is a lot farther then my remotes will work. I wonder if all three remotes' batteries are getting low.

MirageHatch
10-06-2006, 04:59 PM
you can change between the following with a series of button presses.

1 press unlocks all doors

OR

1 press unlocks drivers door, 2nd unlocks all remaining doors

I think you hold the lock buttons for 6 seconds or something, i dunno, but its in my manual.

1995c280
10-06-2006, 06:05 PM
you guys are referring to global and selective unlocking. global unlocks all doors with one push of the button while selective unlocks the drivers door and the gas cap first then all the rest with another push of the button. to change between the two, simply press and hold the lock and unlock button at the same time. hold them down for about 5 seconds or until the little LED light flashes. that's all there is to it. you need to have a smart key for this function to work. it won't work on the older keys with the flip out blade!

Jason

Espresso
10-06-2006, 06:41 PM
1995c280
f'ing sweet. I just did that & now my regular key does it. Been outside playing with it :)
Now I can get out, lock the car & it shuts all the windows too. I dont have to sit in the car & hit all the buttons now. I LOVE IT.
Thank You!!

97C28O
10-06-2006, 08:28 PM
My key only closes the windows... But it does pop the trunk too.. would be cool if the windows opened.. (i tried didnt work)

black96benz
10-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Its the sweetest feature ever!! My key has one button. Press it once and everything unlocks, press it twice fast and the trunk pops. Hold it down to lock and the windows roll up and the sunroof closes. It also works if you put the key in the lock and turn right and hold for three seconds. Everything is explained in my manual and its a 96 for c220, c280 and c36.

illusionaryline
10-06-2006, 10:58 PM
THIS IS SO COOL!!! insane feature, had the car since 1998 and never knew about it thanks again club202

Abuimad
10-07-2006, 03:25 AM
i first discovered it when my friend with a w210 did it infront of me..i got had just bought the car and i was yet to try it when my key sadly had a fatefull meeting with my pool....so i am yet to get another key..and i am yet to try it...do the windows open and close on one touch in 98 c230's..cause they do it in the spare key

xvvvz
10-07-2006, 04:24 AM
If your sunroof doesn't close but your windows do via the remote, maybe your sunroof just needs to be reset. I had this problem after I disconnected my battery. After going through the sunroof reset procedure, the sunroof once again started opening and closing with the remote. You might give it a try.

I think the best feature is the opening of the windows and sunroof. With a black car and living in the hot South, it is awesome to be able to "vent" the car before you get into it after it has been sitting out in the hot sun.

Doug

1995c280
10-07-2006, 07:00 AM
the newer cars like the 203, 220, 211, 215, 230, etc have a feature called tunnel feature. while driving if you hold the recirculating button or the activated charcoal filter button for about 5 secs. while driving all the windows and the sunroof close together. then hold it again and they all open to exactly where they were previously open to. alot easier than closing each one with each button. most ppl never heard about this before though!

Jason

RacerXofFL
10-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I was too lasy to read, but on a 96 if you hold down lock for 3+ seconds and then instantly unlock it will roll down all the windows, but not open the sunroof :(

97C28O
10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by RacerXofFL
I was too lasy to read, but on a 96 if you hold down lock for 3+ seconds and then instantly unlock it will roll down all the windows, but not open the sunroof :(

I tried holding the unlock button for a long time but the windows wont open! :(

RacerXofFL
10-08-2006, 02:13 PM
no, unlock the car, relock it and hold it until the convience feature kicks in 3-5 seconds (red flashing) INSTANTLY RE CLICK the remote once and hold (green flashing), windows go down... no sunroof tho. if you let off the unlock the windows stop where you let go. I norm put mine down bout half way...

97C28O
10-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by RacerXofFL
no, unlock the car, relock it and hold it until the convience feature kicks in 3-5 seconds (red flashing) INSTANTLY RE CLICK the remote once and hold (green flashing), windows go down... no sunroof tho. if you let off the unlock the windows stop where you let go. I norm put mine down bout half way...

Worked great! Thanks! Learned something cool today!

RacerXofFL
10-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Yea, as you see I live in FL this is a great feature after the car bakes in the sun...

sig425
10-09-2006, 03:43 AM
i have a smart key... lock button, unlock, and trunk. I'll have to try the tunnel feature. Kinda crazy to find new tricks with your car :D

I heard audis have cool hidden features like if you hit certain buttons in certain orders you can get a graphic eq to show up on the stereo screen.

BALLLR
09-09-2008, 06:17 AM
My car opens all the windows when I hold the key in the open positions, however the sunroof does not move. However, if all the windows and sunroof are open and I hold the key in the lock position, everything closes. How do I sync my sunroof to open with the key? I do not ever see those lights in my rear view flashing, except prior to replacing my battery. Thanks in advance.

grga
09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Hm...
Neither one of all these features doesn't work on mine (C23K, 96, red and green leds in mirror and driver's door, one button flip key)...
:(

How to reset windows and sunroof, btw?

cameron_1292
04-07-2012, 08:45 PM
well realize this is a super old thread but i tried the roll down of the wondows on my 97 230 and it worked lol ive known about the roll up because it had it in the book. hmm wonder why there was no mention of the roll down feature. i just hate the one button theres so much to do to do simple things lol

Christopher
04-09-2012, 10:12 PM
does anyone else head lights stay on even after your turned off the engine and lights and as your walking away they fade away into off?

hvmercy
04-10-2012, 09:37 AM
On my E55 when I have the headlights on while driving then reached my destination, I shut off everything then lock the car, this is true. However only the fog lights.
A minute after locking it will turn itself off. Maybe this is an AMG only feature at that time. I don't know. I know this is true on all W204. But I could be wrong.

does anyone else head lights stay on even after your turned off the engine and lights and as your walking away they fade away into off?

hvmercy
04-10-2012, 09:39 AM
This is one of the first undocumented features my MB salesman showed me when I first bought my car.

well realize this is a super old thread but i tried the roll down of the wondows on my 97 230 and it worked lol ive known about the roll up because it had it in the book. hmm wonder why there was no mention of the roll down feature. i just hate the one button theres so much to do to do simple things lol

wichipong
04-10-2012, 03:00 PM

that's the convenience feature... it activates if left to auto lights i believe...

cameron_1292
04-11-2012, 07:02 AM
This is one of the first undocumented features my MB salesman showed me when I first bought my car.

its weird theres no mention of it in the book lol

Kropf
04-12-2012, 11:57 PM
hmm wonder why there was no mention of the roll down feature.

The roll-down feature, and other mentioned key tricks, is in the post-facelift manual that I have online:
http://kropf.net/w202/w202owners_manual.pdf
Pg 17 - 19 (of 122)

The "Night Security Illumination" feature (Vehicles with Antitheft Alarm System) is mentioned on Pg 48:
"When exiting the vehicle after driving with the exterior lamps on, they switch on again for added illumination for approximately 30 seconds after closing the last door. The lamp-on time period can be changed at your Mercedes-Benz dealer."

--

If anyone can provide me an electronic pre-facelift manual, I'd be willing to post it at http://kropf.net/w202/

ldawgtheg
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah this is a great feature that I recently discovered. Helps with not having to get into the car if the sunroof is left open (I have the 1 button)