PDA

View Full Version : what's the difference between pre-updated and updated?

bish0p
10-09-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure if this thread goes in this topic. This is probably a stupid question but what's the difference between the updates and preupdates? Is this the same as pre-facelift and facelift models? What's the difference between them. Can you tell by looking at the car? Please post pics of the differences if you can. sorry again if this is a stupid question.

davis449
10-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Yes you are right, they are the same meaniings, just different words to describe them. If you want to see differences between them, go to ebay motors and look up Mercedes C-Classes and look at the differences (ex- and interior) between the 1994-1997 and 1998-2000 models. If the differences aren't apparent to you, you need your eyes checked.

Proven Guilty
10-09-2006, 02:32 PM
exterior:
-Newer, sportier front and rear bumpers, body matched side skirts
-updated trunk with a "lip" at the end, rather than flat
-no more antenna
-glass sun roof instead of metal body matched moon roof
-seems more common to have the chrome trim all around on the top of front and rear bumpers
-lightly tinted rear lights (tails)

interior:
-updated door panels
-no more casette tray :D
-different wood trim on the doors as well as dash/console area (depending on options)
-pattern on the seats is much different
-speedo gagues updated, as well as digital
-improved sound dampening in the cabin
-pop out hide-away cup holder in the center console

drivetrain/mechanical:
-5 speed automatic trans upgrade from the 4 speeds
-different springs and perches
-better stock sway bars (not significant)
-updated wiring harnesses
-updated key fob, and safety/security features

those are just what i could think of off the top of my head

Proven Guilty
10-09-2006, 02:40 PM
this ebay ad is a perfect example of a really clean '94 "pre-update"

1994 c280 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-WE-FINANCE-1994-C280-PREMIUM-LOW-LOW-MILES-BuY-iT-NOW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6334QQihZ020QQitemZ 300036010698QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosti ng)

and this car is a perfect example of an equally clean white '99 "update" model c230 Kompressor (supercharged)
1999 C230 Kompressor (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-C230-C-230-Kompressor-good-gas-mileage-peppy-responsive_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6334QQihZ014 QQitemZ330034283346QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

you can comparatively see the differences on the exterior as well as the interior from the pictures alone.

some of the information i had posted before may not be accurate, but just differences i've personally noticed when comparing my '99 to older vehicles. the 2000 W202 has more changes further, and as it was the last year of the W202, it very much a different animal than all of it's predecessors (has a tiptronic transmission, roof antenna for gps and other items just to name a few)

Dan57
10-09-2006, 02:43 PM
The 1997 facelift was actually the last facelift. There were 3 I think before this but the 97 lift was the most significant with sportier, more curvasious bumpers and the addition of plastic side skirts and redesigned interior door panels and seats. The post 97 cars have the DAS3 system with 3 button key working on both infa red and radio waves and having an electronic ignition switch, previously a single button key using just infa red and mechanical key. (I will leave the details in fear of over complicating the thread.) Post 97 cars also came with cruise control, variable speed limit, service indicator, traction control, auto dimming mirrors, Brake assist, all as standard. (At least in U.K.) as well as more engine options. I am sure more differences will be added. Generally a more refined, more specification and more money.

As previously mentioned the asthetics are pretty obvious and a search through ebay or the members gallery should give you more than enough pictures.

I guess I am a bit too slow at typing...:D

matt09
10-09-2006, 02:47 PM
It changed a couple of times actually. For example, my 1996 C280 has a glass sunroof and the updated climate controls, but doesnt have the sporty bumpers.

Proven Guilty
10-09-2006, 02:48 PM
summary: get a '97 or newer! :)

matt09
10-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
summary: get a '97 or newer! :)
I would say 96 is the best out of all. It has the nice interior, the inline 6, the nice stock headlights (I'll show you a pic), and the BRABUS bumper upgrade fits perfectly!

PICS!!!!!!

Headlights:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f274/matt091988/100_1280.jpg
Rear lights+Trunk+Rear bumper
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f274/matt091988/100_1282.jpg
Sideskirt+Part of the front bumper
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f274/matt091988/100_1286.jpg

bish0p
10-09-2006, 03:04 PM
wow thanks guys for all your feedback. i have a 96 c280, actually built 08/95. I also have the glass sunroof, but i don't think i have the updated bumper. i also have an antenna on the side though. my interior door panels have leather that is sorta like layered on there. is mine a pre-update? or is it the updated one. I'm thining pre-update. Also what's the main difference with the new and old lights? like the headlight and taillights. I believe i read somewhere that the updated ones are smaller. is that correct? thanks again for all your posts.

Proven Guilty
10-09-2006, 03:14 PM
look at the pics of the two ebay links i posted. the proof is in the photos.

the updated rear bumper looks 10x better than the pre-update. as well as the trunk.

i dont see any difference in the head lights, other than the fact the "fog lights" are integrated on the newer versions (another plus that i had forgotten about).

i just dont see the point in putting a brabus bumper on an updated car. it's like un-updating it imo..

bish0p
10-09-2006, 03:39 PM
i looked at your ebay links. My 96 car has a little of both in my car. For instance. my car doesnt have the new bumpers. It still has an antenna. The center control in the front isn't like any of those in the links. It has a different climate control but the radio still has the cassete player. Also like matt09 said, i have the new headlights. so is my car a half breed? or ist it updated? I also agree with you. i like the new updated bumper. but with my bumper right now i wouldn't mind getting the brabus bumper upgrade.

BBW
10-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Also to add,

Very early w202's (up to mid 1995) they had

-w124 buttons
-Different roof console controls
-Boot circults located next to the battery
-Information message 'Shift to 'P' when selecting...'
-Squarer front door pockets.
-No passenger, or door airbags.
-Boot internal light located on the right, instead of centre.
-Dash custer has Orange arrows, inner numbers and separated Odometer & trip meters.
-Orange side repeators (w124)

Further to previous comments:
Facelift models did include Cassette trays (as an option agaist the smoking option)
Crome trim on Elegance Models, not Classic, Sport of Esprit.

Facelift bumpers can be added to Pre-facelift cars, as I did on my DOOMED w202, I have pictures and info if required.

jnolte
10-09-2006, 04:16 PM
pre updated cars have an annoying buzzing sound when you leave keys in ignition or lights on and the updated ones have a nice beeping tone lol

Proven Guilty
10-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
pre updated cars have an annoying buzzing sound when you leave keys in ignition or lights on and the updated ones have a nice beeping tone lol

that actually made me "lol" haha, you're the man sometimes!

bish0p
10-09-2006, 04:41 PM
lol mine has the beeping tone. but is it really updated? can anyone tell me for sure if mine is updated or not? it's a 96 c280.

1995c280
10-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by bish0p
lol mine has the beeping tone. but is it really updated? can anyone tell me for sure if mine is updated or not? it's a 96 c280.

your car is pre-updated.

94-97 = pre-updated
98-00 = updated

botton line!!!!!!!!!!!!

all the changes being mentioned are minor mods her and there that the factory decided upon. a few things changed each year with the pre-updated versions but all 94-97 models are still considered pre-updated according to MB!

Jason

bish0p
10-09-2006, 04:49 PM
so this means i can get the bumper that 714guy is selling with no need to buy anything else? thanks again

1995c280
10-09-2006, 04:50 PM
so this means i can get the bumper that 714guy is selling with no need to buy anything else? thanks again

that is correct!

Jason

BBW
10-10-2006, 01:49 AM

If its a front, you will need to file down the bracket holes to make it fit snug, if its a rear you will need to buy some facelift brackets in order to fit it (cheap from a scrap yard).

Thought of another difference,

Pre-facelift hazzards flash on and off, facelift flash on - off (pause) on off. If that makes any sense.

benz90220
10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
hey i have a 1995 c280 but it has a cassete container thing in the front, how can i remove it? is there a way to get rid of it without damaging the surrounding console stuff? who uses cassetes anyway loll

davis449
10-11-2006, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by benz90220
hey i have a 1995 c280 but it has a cassete container thing in the front, how can i remove it? is there a way to get rid of it without damaging the surrounding console stuff? who uses cassetes anyway loll

There's a couple threads on this one. It's really easy. Just unscrew the two screws underneath the bezel that hold it in place and gently pry the plastic from underneath the bezel (there's a little notch there that you can't see that will make it seem like it won't come out, but it will). Go buy the coin tray and throw that in there.

benz90220
10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
whats a bezel? and can u be more specific? i dont see any screws, its just tight on tp and bottom, should i just put a screwdriver in and try to pop it out using force? or is ther a way that isnt so destructive?

BBW
10-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by benz90220
whats a bezel? and can u be more specific? i dont see any screws, its just tight on tp and bottom, should i just put a screwdriver in and try to pop it out using force? or is ther a way that isnt so destructive?

If you do a search, you will find threads with pictures of how to do it.

benz90220
10-11-2006, 04:07 PM
i saw them, it says remove head unit but i dunt no know? do i just pry the headunit off with a screwdriveR?

mike mac
10-17-2006, 09:47 PM
there are special keys for the head unit, dont even try useing a screw driver, youl ruin the wood around it. go to a local tuning shop or a place where they do audio work and borrow some..thats what i did, but made copies for myself in case i need them