PDA

View Full Version : new shoes

unHookt
10-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Before I pull the trigger on these, what do you guys think?

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_asx_ci3_l.jpg

Kumho ECSTA ASX
(Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Warranty Rating: 4
Size: 205/55WR16
Blackwall
WR Speed Rated
Serv. Desc: 91W
Price: $61.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: In Stock

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=055WR6EASX&minSpeedRating=H&speed_rating=HR&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&speed_rating=ZR

matt09
10-10-2006, 08:52 AM
I recently bought some Yokohama AVID H4 and I think they are great. They have incredible grip (dry/wet) and road noise isnt a problem. Might wanna consider them.

xvvvz
10-10-2006, 09:12 AM
I also went with the Avids. I haven't driven on them enough to give an informed opinion but I have read consistently good things about them if you want a tire that is a good all-around tire with a bit of performance.

This Kumho could be a "sleeper" tire that is a great performer for a great price but just hasn't built a rep for itself yet. Kumho is a tire company that is really working hard to make a good name for itself. I also looked at some of their tires. I think they are kind of like Hyundai (sp?). They started out at the low end with their cars but now are making a push that should put them up on par with Honda and Toyota before too long. I would not be surprised if Kumho is up there with Bridgestone and Michelin before too long.

My $.02,
Doug

davis449
10-10-2006, 10:26 AM
I've had those exact tires on my car and I wouldn't go near them again. Their dry traction is OK at best and their wet traction is non-existant. If I were you, I would pay a little more and go Pirelli Nero.

unHookt
10-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by davis449
I've had those exact tires on my car and I wouldn't go near them again. Their dry traction is OK at best and their wet traction is non-existant. If I were you, I would pay a little more and go Pirelli Nero.

Which ones? The Khumos?

xvvvz
10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Heh..."PZero Nero tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice." Not even "near freezing"?!

davis449
10-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by unHookt
Which ones? The Khumos?

Yes.

Heh..."PZero Nero tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice." Not even "near freezing"?!

Pirelli makes more than one type of P-Zero Nero.

1995c280
10-10-2006, 01:38 PM
i hate the p-zero's. the nero's (all season tire) have horrible treadlife and the rosso's (summer tire) are even worse in my opinion. also not good in low temp weather like someone else mentioned.

i bought the yokohama avid V4's (225/50/16) for my winter rims and i love them. considering i have a 95' with no traction control/asr...i still manage to make it through the northeast winters. great treadlife and no road noise at all!

Jason

unHookt
10-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Can you guys mention how much you paid for your tires? Obvioiusly, price matters. These joints are only $60 each! W speed rated, all season, and great reviews on tire rack...

davis449
10-11-2006, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by 1995c280
i hate the p-zero's. the nero's (all season tire) have horrible treadlife and the rosso's (summer tire) are even worse in my opinion. also not good in low temp weather like someone else mentioned.

i bought the yokohama avid V4's (225/50/16) for my winter rims and i love them. considering i have a 95' with no traction control/asr...i still manage to make it through the northeast winters. great treadlife and no road noise at all!

Jason

I've burned through so many sets of Yokohama's it's not even funny. I burned through a set of Yokohama YK420's (which are just a variation of the V4's) in less than 30K miles. Should've seen the look on the Discount tire guy's face. They were worn to 4/32nd's perfectly even in 27K miles. Talk about no mileage life. These were on my 1995 C 280.

Can you guys mention how much you paid for your tires? Obvioiusly, price matters. These joints are only $60 each! W speed rated, all season, and great reviews on tire rack...

I had Pirelli PZero Nero M+S 225/50/16 W rated's on my car for a little while and loved the way the handled and stuck to the ground, but then again, S. Texas has no winter so it was an excellent tire for down here. Tires, in my experience, are a get what you pay for item. My Pirelli's were $124 a piece. My Michelin Pilot Exalto's (I had 205/55/16' and I now have them in 225/50/16's) were really expensive at around $150 a tire.

unHookt
10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
anyone else?