PDA

View Full Version : Head unit wiring harness

c43ing
10-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Hey whats up guys. I searched the forum but couldn't find a clear answer. I have a 98 C43 and just purchased an Alpine HU. My car has a Bose system. It seems that people use VW harness but I couldnt get any more detailed info. I have no idea how to connect the HU to the existing harness. My friends S-Class has the wires directly connected with out any converters and it sounds excellent. I need this HU in my car ASAP. Thanks

Proven Guilty
10-12-2006, 08:27 AM
if you go to best buy, you can use the volkswagen wiring harness since it's essentially the same plug connector.

you can just cut the wires, and splice them together with the new head unit, but it's not as clean of an install, and you would have to re-splice them if you ever decided to remove the head unit and/or replace your stock unit one day.

you're much better off spending the $15 on the wiring harness and doing the job right. however, with my '99 C230K in order to get the memory function of the stereo working, I had to reverse the red positive wire with the yellow 12V constant memory wire. For whatever reason, it is backwards on the mercedes.

to clarify:
connect the red wire from your car to the yellow wire of your new head unit.
connect the yellow wire from your car to the red wire of your new head unit.

hope that helps!

sf280
10-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Check out some information in this thread
http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2029&highlight=nakamichi

c43ing
10-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Do you get a hissing sound coming out of the speakers or is it nice and clean?

sf280
10-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by c43ing

it was nice and clean. I sold that car almost 2 years ago but it was a great upgrade.

Denlasoul
10-12-2006, 10:30 AM
IF you are gettting a hissing sound, then the power of your h/u is not matching up to the Bose amp.

You will need a hi-lo converter. Search "Nakamichi How-to" for detailed explanantion.

sf280
10-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
IF you are gettting a hissing sound, then the power of your h/u is not matching up to the Bose amp.

You will need a hi-lo converter. Search "Nakamichi How-to" for detailed explanantion.

looks 3 posts above :eek: :D

c43ing
10-13-2006, 05:15 AM
That post is missing photos. I figured it out and supposely 98 and up dont need the converter. Also I pluged in the harness but I get no sound. I am assuming that the amp doesn't turn on. How would I know which pin is the remote? Or do I have to run a new line to the amp? Well haven't researched that topic yet since I just got to work. Anyways thanks for help guys.

Denlasoul
10-13-2006, 08:58 AM
That post is missing photos. I figured it out and supposely 98 and up dont need the converter.
This statement is not necessarily true. I had to use a converter on my 98.