PDA

View Full Version : C36 Side Skirt Problem

RobertFini
10-13-2006, 08:50 AM
I was recently in a minor accident with my '97 C36, and they had to replace the driver's door with a new factory unit. The body shop (a local Volvo dealership) did a great job on the door install and they blended it very nicely into the tired old paint on the rest of the car.

However, since I've had the car (almost ten years now) I have been very dissatisfied with the way the side skirts look where they meet the body at the wheel-well openings. They apparently use Velcro to hold these panels in place and it really looks like crap. Several years ago while the car was still under warranty, I had the dealership try to address it and it still looked awful.

Can anybody tell me what the factory attachment method was for these skirts, and has anybody else had such a problem? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best Regards,
Rob

kameraguy
10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I have the same issue.

AFAIK the "velcro" is exactly how the factory mounts it in that area :(

RobertFini
10-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks, kameraguy - it's good to know that I'm not alone, but it's still hard to believe that the factory would use such a cheesy attachment method. The body shop manager suggesed that we remove the skirts, strip off the velcro and reattach the skirts using an adhesive caulk. I'm a little concerned about using such a permanent method of installation, just in case the skirts ever need to come off again. Any thoughts?

Best Regards,
Rob

Lordkoo
10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by RobertFini
Thanks, kameraguy - it's good to know that I'm not alone, but it's still hard to believe that the factory would use such a cheesy attachment method. The body shop manager suggesed that we remove the skirts, strip off the velcro and reattach the skirts using an adhesive caulk. I'm a little concerned about using such a permanent method of installation, just in case the skirts ever need to come off again. Any thoughts?

Best Regards,
Rob

Clean the dirty contacts and remove all the old stuffs. Go Homedepot and buy 3M's super double side tape (red and grey) and stick it on. Won't fall off, that 3M tape is very strong!!!! OEM uses that!!!!!

2phast
11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I had the same problem with the side skirts on my old C36, had the dealer re-do it several times and it just never held up. I ended up using the 3m body panel adheasive and that tool care of the problem.