PDA

View Full Version : w202 and strut brace...

Powerslave
10-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Hallo mates!
Has anyone ever installed a strut brace in his w202? Recomendations?

I want to improve more my steering... (already replaced shocks and springs)

any infos or ideas?

Denlasoul
10-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Weichers has front/rear braces for W202.

Technically they are not called strut braces, though I think you get the idea.

Search on the Board, I believe these were discussed a few times. :)

trymonlam
10-13-2006, 11:47 AM
i think SLAMMED_C was/is running that setup. i remember reading someone made a joke about grape juice on one of the threads.

black96benz
10-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah Weichers makes a strut brace, but 202s have shocks up front. Strut braces are usually for cars with struts, so probably no performance gains, just looks.

rman
10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by black96benz
Yeah Weichers makes a strut brace, but 202s have shocks up front. Strut braces are usually for cars with struts, so probably no performance gains, just looks.

i figure it'd still help out with structural rigidity and shit. i dunno. How much are strut braces? Seems like something you could easily fab up if you had access to cnc, tube bender, and welder.

Powerslave
10-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by rman
i figure it'd still help out with structural rigidity and shit. i dunno. How much are strut braces? Seems like something you could easily fab up if you had access to cnc, tube bender, and welder.

Well I have access to all these... because I own a spring leafs workshop... but I prefer the aftermarket ones...

I emailed Wiechers about the braces... and I'm waiting for an answer!

nokia8860
10-13-2006, 07:07 PM
I have both front and rear installed in my car. And since i have it installed im required to say yes... they make a difference. :confused:

Installation is straight forward requiring you to drill a few holes to mount it. I find that using nutserts makes the install that much easier.

Since I am celebrating my cars 10ths birthday soon I can tell you that for the past 5-6 years they have been holding up pretty good.

irieite
10-14-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm picking my nose right now...

Will_w202
11-10-2006, 05:53 PM
I'd say you need to look at other components to improve steering. These cars are very rigid, and there are several factors impeding steering response - tie rods, control arms (upper and lower), steering box assembly, and the center drag link. My car was Starmark, so luckily I had almost the entire front suspension rebuilt, and Igot a new steering gearbox and drag link. Did wonders for steering repsonse. If you want to improve feel, you need to repair/replace worn components first, else you are wasting your time. These cars are not VWs :) rather they have plenty of intricate suspension pieces that wear (swaybar bushings/ball joints need replacement every 7 years/70k typically)

NEA-4311
11-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by irieite
I'm picking my nose right now...

Thats discusting.

SLAMMED_C
11-14-2006, 03:48 PM
I have the Wiechers srut braces front and rear on my car.. the main reason I got them was for looks.. I really doubt they do much for making the car more rigid.. the fornt may help very minimally.. but the rear definetly doesnt do anything.
I bought them knowing full well they wouldnt do much for strengthening the front and rear.. but I got them for looks. they look the part!!

Powerslave
11-14-2006, 11:38 PM
any photos of the braces?

SLAMMED_C
11-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Powerslave
any photos of the braces?
Check my car domain links..

Markland556
12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
currently i have alot of body roll when taking those off ramps at about 50.. my friends VW has a front sway bar and rear strut bar... Works wonders, the rear will slide around before the car leans.. I just need the inner side of the turn to stay down... Getting my H&R cup kit installed today..:p