PDA

View Full Version : respray crazy man!

ncd
10-16-2006, 05:37 PM
against my better judgement I am delving into the werid and wonderfull world of respraying your

car DIY style...

tbh I doubt I would be able to pull this off with out guidance for a experinced hand in the real world..

but Im just curious if my price list is fairly accurate then how do spray shops justify charging

me £1300, £1500, and £1800+!!! .... all i can say is.. <censored>

so feel free to put me straight or confirm and deny the re-spray conspiracy - I even herd some

ass say if you drive a prestige car the sprayer is going to charge a pristige price!

I apreciate number of bridges remain to be delt with, like where this miraculas space would come from.
but below.. is the shoping list ive researched .. ive got absolutely no doubt their is stuff still going to be required thats about all I can work out as a fence sitter so to speak..
but if any of you know of other items you would require.. let us know.

would the mini compressor be alright?

spray space rental
£100 x 2 days
£30 petrol

tools
------
1x 250psi MINI AIR COMPRESSOR, TYRE PRESSURE GAUGE, TYRE INFLATOR £10.99
1x 5pc AIR QUICK COUPLER SET, AIR TOOLS, AIR LINE ENDS £3.99
1x AIR DUSTER, COMPRESSED AIR GUN, AIR TOOLS, AIR BLOWER! £3.49
1x 6" INDUSTRIAL DUAL ACTION ORBITAL AIR TOOL SANDER. £16.90
1x INDUSTRIAL AIR DIE GRINDER, ANGLE GRINDER, AIR TOOLS.
1x PROFESSIONAL WATER BASED PAINTS AIR DRYER £60
1x MINI TOUCH UP SPRAY GUN, PAINT SPRAY GUN. £25
1x 3x HVLP PROFESSIONAL AIR GRAVITY FEED PAINT SPRAY GUN G15 £14.99
1x PAINT SPRAY MASK RESPIRATOR £7.99
1x Masking tape & Maskng paper £15
1x box of TAK RAGS £5
1x Wet & dry £5
1x 2K STOPPER BODY FILLER UNIVERSAL USE £10
1x various fiber Grinding discs (100/120 grit/sizes) £25
1x TWIST KNOT WIRE WHEEL FOR GRINDER £5
1x paint thinners £10
1x Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover 325 ml £5
10x Disposable Medium Paint Strainers £1.99
10x Disposable Fine Paint Strainers £0.99
Scotchbrite Abrasive Pads - PK10 Ultra Fine Grade £5
Panel stand £30

most of these prices are ebay lalal land ones and rounded to the highest number.

paints
|- primer
|3x 2k Primer HS 3-1 mix U-Pol 4lt kit High Build Car Paint £32.00
|
|- base coat
|3x FANTASY PLATINUM GREY BASECOAT PAINT 2 LITRES £23.00
|
|- top coat
|3x FANTASY PLATINUM GREY BASECOAT PAINT 2 LITRES £23.00
|
|-laquer
|3x Cellulose Clear Lacquer Car Paint 2.5lt Size £25.00
|
|- bling
|2x 50g Coarse Sparkling Silver metallic pearl auto paint Kandy £20
|
|- paintcost
|- £260

estimated cost: £815

lewda
10-16-2006, 09:26 PM
my advice to you, if your new to paint cars and have never done it before, i would not use your 99 C230 as your first...there is alot of trim to be taken care off, removing weather stripping, removing door handles, chrome, etc..i wouldnt recommend it if youve never painted a car before, i would just buck up if i were you, and pay to have it done professionally, unless you dont care and really just wanna try something new, then knock your self out

solodough
10-16-2006, 10:56 PM
and you'll need a $50,000 downdraft booth

edit: sorry i just noticed you're renting one

ncd
10-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by lewda
my advice to you, if your new to paint cars and have never done it before, i would not use your 99 C230 as your first...there is alot of trim to be taken care off, removing weather stripping, removing door handles, chrome, etc..i wouldnt recommend it if youve never painted a car before, i would just buck up if i were you, and pay to have it done professionally, unless you dont care and really just wanna try something new, then knock your self out

prehaps your right... but I just cant let them spray the car for that kind of money.. Like i said when i originaly wrote the post.. I could refit a sprayers garage for a month or more..

Im just facing reality the crazy london roads will end the car quicker then I'll have the money to respray her anyway... I still dont see how a sprayer thinks his skills are so gold plated ... HEH even when ive offered to do allot of the sanding work ... its like they still want to charge that much G i gues I should be falling at their feet because I get free sanding when I make noises like Ill do it myself

the whole thing is a cr0ck of shit ... to use a american phrase.

The thing Ive failed to mention is recently ive come to realise what a BULLSHIT spray job the person did, who last sprayed the car.. so anything should be better.

One spray guy I liked him he was very straight up guy, dispite quoting a high price, he was saying the bumpers where extremely poorly painted, and the masking off every where very poorly done leading to overspray and paint not meeting nice.

Plus the previous owner decided to use one of thoses evil halford pens on it.

and then their is the bubbleing up paint.. not sure I quite understand why the paintwork is going that way on these cars either.. my old 1996 vauxhall vectra had more chips and scratchs then you can shake a stick at, it had 11! previous owners and it never had one singal bit of paint bubble/signs of rust...

maybe when your talking about MB a certain level of perfection comes at a price like every thing in life, that is just where the production cost corner cuting shows itself :)

MirageHatch
10-17-2006, 02:37 AM
they charge so much cos its SO easy to do a bad paint job if you dont know what your doin!! they actually spend the time and know how to do it right...most importantly...the first time.

is a bloody science getting a good paint job, no joke!

give it a go but be prepared for Hard work and what may end up as a crappy paint job after the 800pounds!

i used to want to do this to my old car but realised how much practise you need!

would be killer fun tho i reckon!

lewda
10-17-2006, 08:25 AM
well part of the reason why my shops dont want you to do the prep work first, and give it to them is b.c. if you did something bad in your prep work, it reflects to the paint, and you the customer, might say, man you screwed up my car, alot of people dont realize, that the paint job is all in the body/prep work, not just the painting. I used to work in a shop, we never took work like that, unless we were good friends with that person, and we knew they eithe rknew what they were doing, or they didnt really care what the result was.

Proven Guilty
10-17-2006, 09:40 AM
i can spray decent, but i won't do my own car (i leave it up to my boy mike back in detroit cause he's been doing it for about 12 years now. i'll only paint things like motorcycles, quads, offroad kinda stuff where i dont care as much about that "showroom" quality paint job).

i've come to learn quite a bit from what he has taught me, and like it was mentioned before; a down draft booth yields one of the better coats of paint.

I honestly dont feel a mini compressor will do the job right (but it can be done). the only tanks i've been told is good enough to spray with is a dual stage which i've used; and they almost never seem to run out of air.

the paint bubbling up may have been the result of the following:
-cheap air compressor had water in the tank. common problem on low-end single stage compressors. while they're ok for air tools, water in your compressor will ruin the paint, no matter how good you are
-bad mixture of paint. sometimes too much or too little thinner in the paint will leave the finish uneven
-bad nozzle on the spray gun or ghetto spray gun itself. the paint is mixed at the nozzle with the air from the compressor. if the nozzle has ever been dropped, poorly cleaned, or is just plain poor quality it also leaves the car looking like a victim of vandalism. haha

the few tips i can offer is make sure you really really wash the car well in areas you wouldn't suspect you would need to, such as the underbody, under the hood, especially the wheel wells and buttom of the hood by the windshield wiper, door jams and trunk surround. anything that can collect dirt and dust will put that into the atmosphere from the air preassure as the paint is going onto the car, and will settle down into the paint as it's drying.

another helpful tip would be do spray the "shadow" areas first. this would include door jams, lines of the body panels (sides of the hood and trunk, doors, basically anything that would have a shadow on it in full sunlight at 12:00 noon.) this will help you to avoid missing spots and provide a better cover coat when you do this big fatty easy panels in the longer and more consistant passes.

good luck with the spray!

SLAMMED_C
10-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Ive been quoted over $5000 to repaint my car.. and thats at a MB body shop!!!!

ncd
10-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
Ive been quoted over $5000 to repaint my car.. and thats at a MB body shop!!!!
holy shit... I could BUY you a whole, 98/99 C230K's for that kind of money and the paint wouldnt be half bad.. lol.

thats how you know there just full of bullshit trying to inflate the value of the respray to nearly that of whole cars!

not saying it would be a perfect car, but the point remains.

I still think they need to get REAL... good job or not - I cant understand it they must have a chronic money wasting problem, ALL sprayers should be farking rich after a few years.. charging the amounts they do, by my book

3 202 size cars a year @ aprx £1500
over three years thats £13000
that enough for a deposit on a house/mortguage. for just 6 resprays.

I dont mean to sound like they dont have operating costs and living expenses but I know i retool the whole shop for about £800 a time.. thats nothing when you think about it on that scale.. and the fact is they do MANY more resprays over 3 years then 6..

Wish I could charge my computer customers that much to go sanitise their systems haha
"Oh whats that Virusburst!!!!! ... £1500 pls"

ncd
10-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty

the paint bubbling up may have been the result of the following:
-cheap air compressor had water in the tank. common problem on low-end single stage compressors. while they're ok for air tools, water in your compressor will ruin the paint, no matter how good you are
-bad mixture of paint. sometimes too much or too little thinner in the paint will leave the finish uneven
-bad nozzle on the spray gun or ghetto spray gun itself. the paint is mixed at the nozzle with the air from the compressor. if the nozzle has ever been dropped, poorly cleaned, or is just plain poor quality it also leaves the car looking like a victim of vandalism. haha

good luck with the spray!

yeah ... I duno if its the salt gritters out here because of icey roads, but I saw another w202 (silver.. I wanted it bad but the paint was just to shabby and the dealer a ass anyway) thats when I was searching for one to purchase, its paint work was 100 times worse then my actuall car ... it had the paint bubbling and I am certain that car could never of been resprayed. (in a merc dealers lot)

and thanks for the advise all, I'm starting to apreciate its not just that simple either major case of easyer said then done..