PDA

View Full Version : Pulled over by the Police!

benz90220
09-14-2006, 07:54 AM
hey i have a question about the legality of things. i have put limo tint on my back windows. medium tint on side-front windows. is that illegal? i also have a plastic cover over my license plates, and have partially smoked my rear lights (the turn signal, and the reverse lights). i dont understand why the police keep pulling my car over, are these mods illegal? or are they just being discriminatory? if u have experience the same things let me know, later

Renn 208
09-14-2006, 08:06 AM
depends on the country/state that you're in.

If you're in Compton...then no, it's not legal to have front window tint, also the added tint on the real lights is not legal.

The limo tint on the rear windshield, on the other hand, is legal. But this is all just in CA, other countries and states have other laws.

rman
09-14-2006, 08:13 AM
i've been pulled over in cali for lisence plate covers as well.

You cannot have ANY tint on the front side windows. I had limo on all my windows on my truck for a year and was never pulled over though. just took the risk.

I plan to tint the 202 also very soon, maybe next week.

benz90220
09-14-2006, 08:25 AM
i live in nyc, so is it legal to have limo tint on rear windows? ( ihave medium tint on front-side, but keep em rolled down so as the police cant tell if i tinted them). are they allowed to stop me based on my rear tints? (ive seen soooooo many cars with rear tint, and also semi-smoked rear lights). are the police allowed to pull me over? or are they just discriminating against "suspicious" looking vehicles and will stop them anyway?

Fizzle
09-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Click Here (http://gilafilms.com/Automotive/automotive-tint-laws.htm)

They Have The Tint Laws For The US And Canada As Well. Not Sure Where You Live But I Do Know Its Illegal To Tint Your Tail Lights In Illinois, The Cops Never Stop Anyone For It. But They Will Stop You For Tinted Front Windows

matt09
09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
You surely love to press that Shift key dont you?

Proven Guilty
09-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by matt09
You surely love to press that Shift key dont you?

You Capitalized Shift, When It Really Doesn't Need To Be. Ever Notice How Every Word On A Keyboard Is Cap'd Anyway? Scroll Lock, Page Up Etc.

Don't Worry, Life On Messageboards Was Never Meant To Be This Tough, You'll Live!

Denlasoul
09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
You know, it may not be a matter of what's legal/illegal. Maybe the cops are profiling you as some punk kid or racer-type?

Figure the mods may be borderline illegal, it may give the cops a reason to pull you over and see if you are up to no good. I guess it can be called probable cause? :confused:

Renn 208
09-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul

Figure the mods may be borderline illegal, it may give the cops a reason to pull you over and see if you are up to no good. I guess it can be called probable cause? :confused:

IANAL but, probable cause isn't that simple. Just because you have tint in the wrong place doesn't mean they get carte blanch to search your car for other stuff.

However, any infraction, allows them to put you in a situation where you can trip up and trigger other infractions.

e.g. say they pull you over for having front window tint, and in talking to you notice your speech is slurred and they notice an "alcohol-like" smell on your breath....you know what comes next.

On the other hand, say they pull you over for the same window tint, but you happen to be carrying a dead cat in a purse in your trunk. It's not like they can open your trunk and say "a-ha!" on the basis of pulling you over for the front tint. Then again, someone with the dead cat in the trunk is likely to make some nervous moves...like granting the police officer permission to search the car, and then...the cat's out of the bag.

Denlasoul
09-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
IANAL but, probable cause isn't that simple. Just because you have tint in the wrong place doesn't mean they get carte blanch to search your car for other stuff.

However, any infraction, allows them to put you in a situation where you can trip up and trigger other infractions.

e.g. say they pull you over for having front window tint, and in talking to you notice your speech is slurred and they notice an "alcohol-like" smell on your breath....you know what comes next.

On the other hand, say they pull you over for the same window tint, but you happen to be carrying a dead cat in a purse in your trunk. It's not like they can open your trunk and say "a-ha!" on the basis of pulling you over for the front tint. Then again, someone with the dead cat in the trunk is likely to make some nervous moves...like granting the police officer permission to search the car, and then...the cat's out of the bag.

True true. I should clairify that my statement did not mean probable cause, but more like cause for more probing.

Like in WA, they cannot pull you over for not wearing your seatbelt, but if they catch/see something else wrong that will be cause to pull you over and thus resulting in a seatbelt fine (on top of any other stuff they may find).

jnolte
09-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
True true. I should clairify that my statement did not mean probable cause, but more like cause for more probing.

Like in WA, they cannot pull you over for not wearing your seatbelt, but if they catch/see something else wrong that will be cause to pull you over and thus resulting in a seatbelt fine (on top of any other stuff they may find).

this is not true, i have been pulled over and ticketed for no seatbelt before they can do it!

fuck da police!

Denlasoul
09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
this is not true, i have been pulled over and ticketed for no seatbelt before they can do it!
Hmmmm.... I remember that pulling over was not a pull over type of offense, but then again I also remember something about it changing. LOL So I'm guessing they can pull you over for seatbelt at anytime?

iwhocorrupts
09-14-2006, 08:05 PM
My friend has 5% limo tint on his FX35 and 24 inch dropstars, but got his doctor to write him a prescription, lol. He gets pulled over all the time, we live in the suburbs north of chicago

Brando457
09-15-2006, 05:08 AM
brother has limo tint all around in NJ and doesnt get stopped for it really ever. If you do get pulled over simply roll down your front windows and BAM no problems.

Also I am under the impression they can not stop you for tint alone you must be doing something such as speeding or other traffic violation.

Tint as far as I know is not considered a traffic violation.

benz90220
09-15-2006, 07:22 AM
i saw the tint laws in nyc n it says u can fully tint rear windows, but i have been stopped like 4 times in last few months by the police n unmarked patrol cars, and i was never speeding or anything. i know that the laws are different on paper, but i think in real life the cops dont care. they continue to stop me, what i think is that they believe "under suspicion" that they will find "something" in my car thats illegal. it is such discrimination, they see me with full tints and chrome amg wheels, and ther u go, now they have probably caus to stop me.....are they allowed to keep doing this? has anyone been pestered by law enforcement like this?????? or am i an exception?

Denlasoul
09-15-2006, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by benz90220
i saw the tint laws in nyc n it says u can fully tint rear windows, but i have been stopped like 4 times in last few months by the police n unmarked patrol cars, and i was never speeding or anything. i know that the laws are different on paper, but i think in real life the cops dont care. they continue to stop me, what i think is that they believe "under suspicion" that they will find "something" in my car thats illegal. it is such discrimination, they see me with full tints and chrome amg wheels, and ther u go, now they have probably caus to stop me.....are they allowed to keep doing this? has anyone been pestered by law enforcement like this?????? or am i an exception?
They do not have any probably cause to pull you over. If you have some possible violations, they may be using that to pull you over. It sounds like a "profiling" issue. Unfortunately, modified cars (especially Euros) are targeted as owner's up to no good.

Brando457
09-15-2006, 07:55 AM
when my brother first got his car he was profiled as a drug dealer, because his tints and rims. Maybe ill post a pic later, but yeah his car was tinted, 18 inch rims, loud music so he got pulled over quite a bit. In NJ I dont have mcuh problems with the cops hassling me and sometimes I think i dont get pulled over because they think im someone important haha

Proven Guilty
09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
its mostly dark tints in any windows. of course they profile, cause the majority of people that want limo on the back window want it there for a reason :p

my brother's roomate was a cop, my grandfather was a cop, do some ride alongs and you'll see.

the reason they trip out about the tints on the front windows is because they want to be able to effortlessly see your hands when they're approaching the vehicle. i wont go any darker than 35% all around anymore, and i never get harassed, even with the 35% up front because they can see in everywhere else.

to me, the point of the tints is to lower the temp in the car by blocking out some of the sun, as well as protect the interior from sun fading. futhermore, it just looks clean when done right.

benz90220
09-15-2006, 12:58 PM
ok say the police "profile" me or anyone else, what are they basing that on? are they just assuming something? like u said they profiled your bro as a drug dealer, is there any factual basis for this police profiling?? or do they just say "hmmm hes driving an s500, tinted, with chrome wheels, so hes a dealer"?????? does anyone know how the police or fbi profiles drivers or people in similar cases?

Renn 208
09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
edit: Police pull over criminals, that's their job. You should not be surprised.

tinter101
09-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey benz90220, maybe they just saw you rip the "55" emblems off someone elses car and it's not profiling after all. ( I still hope
you were joking about that post )

Here in WI they can stop you just for tint, they can meter it on the side of the road with a light meter, write you a ticket that
may include 2 points off your license even though it's a non-
moving violation, and in some cities they will write a ticket for
every window that's illegal.
Another source for tint laws and to chat tint is www.tintdude.com

benzofanatic
09-15-2006, 11:36 PM
ive been told that in washington the law is max of 35% tint on front-side window and any tint on rear passanger window and something light like 50% on the front window. so some of you are saying that it is illegal to pull you over for just tint - does that mean if they pull me over for JUST tint i can say is harrassment and then report them or something?

Renn 208
09-16-2006, 06:52 AM
^no

Nitrogenbalance
09-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Stealing anything from anyone is pretty wrong in my opinion. Karma will get you in the end. Act straight and you'll be kept straight.

It's funny because I briefly read a post from you about possible "harrasment" from law enforcement. Reading something about stealing an emblem next you shouldn't be surprised. My honest experience with LE in many cities is "look for trouble and you'll get it". I get yanked sometimes and just end up shooting the shit and chatting. Be polite and you'll avoid many if not all bad incounters with LE. Act like a punk and they will nail you any chance they get. I love the people who seem to think "they are out to get me". Reality is that they could give a shit.

Welcome to club202. and please don't steal from people.

Abuimad
09-17-2006, 01:04 PM
wow you guys really have tough laws in the states...over here the law is simple, no tints what so ever unless u know people or you can spare a couple of a hundred bucks every 3 months for special tint papers, if a police road block pulls you over you either have a special paper allowing you to tint, or they just strip the paint down and let you go on your way, and only police road blocks can take your tints away, normal cops cant say anything about your tints

benz90220
09-17-2006, 01:05 PM
they shouldnt break my fuckin balls then

smartkey
09-18-2006, 01:01 PM
That sounds pretty funny, when my C was tinted I had the rear window done in 5% and all the other windows done in 20%. I was never stopped in this car until last year September when they passed a tint law citing anything darker than 35% was illegal.

On the otherhand I also had a passat that had 5% percent on the rear window and 15% on all the other windows. The passat was lowered with 18 inch silver 2pc wheels. One night I was stopped by an asshole police officer that thought that the headrests in my car were the heads of passengers. He demanded that everyone come out of the car, He did not beleive me until his partner came and looked into the car herself and saw I was telling the truth. That I was the only one in the car. You know the other thing was that they never told me why they pulled me over.

Abuimad
09-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by smartkey

One night I was stopped by an asshole police officer that thought that the headrests in my car were the heads of passengers. He demanded that everyone come out of the car, He did not beleive me until his partner came and looked into the car herself and saw I was telling the truth. That I was the only one in the car.

LOOOOL cop must have felt like a jackass loool

unHookt
09-19-2006, 03:46 PM
it's the rear tints, not you. If they can't see what you're doing in the car from behind you, they'll pull you over to check. Pretty simple.

heman
10-18-2006, 05:23 AM
u know i dont know, because i was cruising around yesterday in my bentley, full clear windows, nice suit,tie shirt looking all professional like i do in my profession, and there was a police car approached the side of my bentley and he slowed down, i looked in my side mirror and he was checking th enumber plates and everything to see if it was insured, texed and the reg was correct of the car H3MAN heman hahahaha i was like check it check it, so i purposely open the window and lean my arm out of the window with a nice fat HAMLEY CIGAR i keep these in my car to make it look rite, i dont smoke but i got them for show lol and the copper was like bloody hell these youngsters and i just cruised on, so u know some of the police are not as genuine as u might think theyre just trying to do u because ur young,coloured u dont match their imagination of who should be driving this car, but thats it tough, not saying all police are like that but some definately are, io get some officers when they drive past they wave at me in the bentley like they know me, now thats a good felling lol

heman
10-18-2006, 05:25 AM
by the way this was in reply to the post where the chap keeps getting pulled over for having tinted windows in the back further in this forum body mods

Renn 208
10-18-2006, 07:44 AM
merged