PDA

View Full Version : Key Fob Died!

marsbike
10-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Alright, it's been a while since I've posted here, mostly because my car has been perfect! Anyways, I've got a 97 C230, and about a month ago, my remote/key stopped working. Alas, I thought it was the batteries, and replaced both, but, it was not so! Will I have to get a new fob at a crazy high MB price, or is this a simple fix that I just don't know about? Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated! I really hate locking/unlocking my car with the passanger door or trunk!

Marshall

therock2689
10-19-2006, 06:19 PM
My dided about 4 months ago and the only way is to get the fob from the strealership. But when you think about it, its not that bad. You get a new fob programed with your code from almost 10 years ago, new mechanical key custom cut. And you will probly get a new style one, so you can pick the color of the little slider on top to get teh mechanical key out.
Good luck man,

Rock

marsbike
10-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks, but, I don't have the slide-out key. I've got the old one button. I believe my car is very odd...I've got a pre-facelift bumers, climate, (had) a pre-update head unit, but, I've got updated seats, sunroof, and other assorted items.

Anyways, Do you know roughly how much a new key/fob costs? I hope it's not too terribly much...

Mercedes DIY
10-20-2006, 02:04 AM
how much are the new keys running? for later model 202s ?

therock2689
10-20-2006, 02:48 AM
I cant rememeber to well now, but i think it was ~150ish maybe a bit more. Just call up your local stealership and they will tell you real quick. I dont know about the flip out one, i had a slidey one, but call. THats the only way to get a working key fob.

Rock

go4dabukz
10-25-2006, 06:29 AM
Mine quoted $190.00...ouch. Guess I'm not getting a spare!