PDA

View Full Version : Ok, now what?

lesgawlik
10-21-2006, 11:27 AM
'95 C220

I removed the air duct and MAF to reveal the three hex socket screws on the top of the engine. I removed the panel in order to remove the spark plugs. How do you get those orange things out in order to get to the plugs?

BTW, I got some CRC MAF cleaner and gave a good shot to the sensor while it was out. Can say how long it will last, but the CE light was off when I moved the car into the garage.

Also, I removed the connector closest to the throttle body (on the driver's side of the engine). It looked like a second MAF, with a little probe that went into the air duct. What's that thing?

1995c280
10-21-2006, 12:27 PM
those are the ignition wires. just grab them, pull up and twist. they'll come out.

Jason

lesgawlik
10-21-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm talking about the orange plastic shrouds that the ignition wires go through. Are you saying all I have to do is pull them? I gave each one a pretty good tug and didn't move.

Pagz
10-21-2006, 12:53 PM
pull harder;)

lesgawlik
10-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Okay, thanks!

Any thoughts on what that other sensor is, the one on the air duct by the throttle body?

xvvvz
10-21-2006, 01:33 PM
There was some confusion on this in a recent thread that might apply to your situation. We can't tell without seeing things. On different years and different models, the MAF can be located in different places under the hood. Read these two links and look at the components. That should help you figure out what it is you have been working on:

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/maf.html

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10949

Doug

lesgawlik
10-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I have both of those sensors. The first link is what I thought was the MAF. The second link is the one I was asking about, near the throttle body.

black96benz
10-21-2006, 06:57 PM
The second one is the intake air temp sensor. Make sure the push the orange down hard when you are done.

lesgawlik
10-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Well, thanks to all.

I rocked the plug extenders from side to side and with a little tugging, out they came. The plugs were original, 10 years and 206,000 miles ago.

The center electrodes had all but disappeared. The gap had opened up to more than .080. A new set of regular, non-platinum plugs went in.

No more limp-home with strong acceleration. The CE light is still on. I reset the codes, and it is still "Not Ready" even after a few days.

I was surprised that the ran so well with the plugs as bad as they were. I know that the high energy electronic ignitions will allow an engine to run where the older ignitions wouldn't, but even withe the old plugs it started easily and got great mileage. Of course, it's much better now.

I'm still working on the CE light. My only concern is the state emissions test. I don't think I'd pass with the CE light on, even if the emissions themselves were within limits. The car runs well enough, and is close enough to the end of its useful life that otherwise I wouldn't give the CE light a second thought.