PDA

View Full Version : Restoring some exterior parts/ongoing care...

zirophyz
10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
only a few posts in this forum as most of you will have seen, and i have my first benz, first euro car and this equals fulfilling a small dream of mine; so you can imagine i am keen to have the nicest benz i can :)

first project is this however. the previous owner unfortunately parked the car outside and in the sun, therefore some parts are suffering from weathering.

first. the door handles and pillars (as well as anything else that is black plastic on the exterior) are loosing their new black look, especially the handles which are almost white in some spots. is there anything that can be done to restore the original black?

also, the plastic bits behind the glass of the headlights (like a water-proofer for the lense and bulbs) are also yellow-ing from the sun, can they be painted to restore their original white colour?

lastly, if anyone knows a wrecker in SE QLD, Australia that has a good range of 202 parts to replace the ones above, plus the parcel shelf (which is also discoloured from sun) i would be very appreciative.. :) thanks

rollinrealbig
10-23-2006, 10:29 PM
ya the inside trim of the headlight may be painted black for the 'eyeliner' look or simply silver if you like.

my door handles also faded, I used flat black heat paint on them - worked very well!!

MirageHatch
10-24-2006, 04:30 AM
at the end of the day, its often best replacing parts, or repainting. for instance you could get the handles painted and colour code them to your car's colour. this would cost around the AUD$200 dollar mark from any good smash repairer.

Have a look through the phonebook to find some wreckers...you can often save $ on prices if you trade them with your old part too.

love to see pics of the progress and of your car in general!

colour?year? etc

I too am from oz and have also as you say ' fullfilled' a little dream by buying a benz...

All you US guys note that our prices aren't as rock bottom as yours for 202's! mine was AUD$21000 for a 1999 c180. 1999 c43's here are about AUD$45000. I have seen c43's in the states for as low as US$17000 (about AUD$21000) !!

Benz42
10-24-2006, 05:05 AM
use leather conditioner on the handls its a temp fix lasts for 2 months or so......

zirophyz
10-25-2006, 03:40 AM
yeah i've been meaning to get some pics up of it now - stock standard..

can the same techniques be applied to the pillars and other black water-proofing parts of the exterior..?