PDA

View Full Version : Speaker System

Ruffy
10-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi there, just a couple of questions,

I've just brought a 1995 C280 Sportline...

Its got all up 8 speakers... is this a bose system?

It only has a tape player, am i able to upgrade the head unit and still run the 8 speakers?

I'm guessing there must be an amp somewhere? If so where is it located?

Cheers

therock2689
10-25-2006, 03:09 PM
If you use the VW harness that it needs and hooking everthing up right and from what i know, it works just fine. But what i did was f-ed it all, replaced all the speakers, amps, headunit, everthing. I think its a better route because most if not all, OE systems suck a$$. Even though it may be the "premium" sound system, just think how many that have to put in a day. Its still mass produced and not on quality par with aftermarket parts. But if you dont mind that much, then you can leave it, but thats just my $.2.

Rock

Ruffy
10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks Rock,

At this stage i just want to run the stock speakers, but from what I've read on this fourm people have run into troubles changing head units... I read that some use the RCA outputs on an after market Head unit and run them through a high to low level converter and back into the cables that I'm guessing run back to the Bose Amp?

Is that what I should do?

Correct me if im wrong :)

Cheers,

Ruffy

therock2689
10-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Ummm, i dont think so. Reson being is that there are no RCA's on teh OE HU. But i did run stock speakers for a bit and only had rears until i got my amp. Ummm, someone who has done this the was you want might be able to help you more, but you will probly end up doing it teh right way and getting a seperate amp.

Rock

KenzBenz
10-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Ruffy
Hi there, just a couple of questions,

I've just brought a 1995 C280 Sportline...

Its got all up 8 speakers... is this a bose system?

It only has a tape player, am i able to upgrade the head unit and still run the 8 speakers?

I'm guessing there must be an amp somewhere? If so where is it located?

Cheers
if you hook up the aftermarket deck with the stock harness your stock speakers will work just fine. The hi low converter is for decks that dont have RCA outputs, such as your stock one. But with the hi lo converter on your stock deck it will allow you to hook up another amp.

luokyio
10-26-2006, 03:36 AM
I've got the same system. There is no amplifier, and not anything hard in upgrading head unit.

Btw, these are one of the best sounding original systems I've heard. I have no need to change speakers, upgrading head unit was enough for me.

Ruffy
10-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your input guys :)

Well i pulled my trunk apart and found an amp on the passenger side, its got a huge loom that plugs into the bottom of it. I have yet to find the name Bose stampt anywhere.

I emailed www.carstereohelp.com and this is his replay.....

" If it is the Bose system, you are correct. An aftermarket stereo will over power the Bose amplifier. I'd suggest an in line adaptor from www.scosche.com They build adaptors for this operation "

Now what i dont know is - is he talking about the RCA outputs or the normal speaker outputs on the back of any after market head unit.

Does anybody no how many inputs go into the Amp? for example... 4 speaker out puts come from the standard head unit into the amp, which then converts it into 8 speaker outputs?

I am very happy with the standard speakers just not the tape player, but its just hard getting a concrete answer! I dont have a code for my tape player so i dont want to stuff it up haha!
I've got a long trip this weekend and i think im just going to stick with my tape adaptor and i-pod for now haha!