PDA

View Full Version : Issue P0170 & P0173 From 98 C43

Lordkoo
11-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey guys,
I have searched the forums about this issue on P0170 & P0173 they are related to Fuel Trim Malfunction.

Most of the members here said the MAF is the problem, some said fuel filter.

I changed the fuel filter today and still it threw the same codes.

This vehicle has only 38k miles! I just got it less than two weeks. I put 2000 miles back to houston without issue. But only this week it came with this codes.

I appreciate any inputs from fellow gurus here.

I am going to stealer to ask for second opinion.

Thanks!

Proven Guilty
11-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Curious; does your car have K&N aftermarket air filters in it? The oil used in them are notorious for fouling out a MAF, especially when they are serviced (it's pretty easy to over-oil them).

Mileage doesn't mean much with the poor design of the MAF.

Lordkoo
11-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
Curious; does your car have K&N aftermarket air filters in it? The oil used in them are notorious for fouling out a MAF, especially when they are serviced (it's pretty easy to over-oil them).

Mileage doesn't mean much with the poor design of the MAF.

Thanks for the highlight. I am having problems taking the darn airbox cover off. There is this part where the bolt meets the intake manifold where space is almost non-existence!

99amgc43
11-03-2006, 05:46 PM
i think its your mas. you should clean it up. i did a how to in the performance section today, search it up. my car seemed to have gained power too

black96benz
11-04-2006, 07:18 PM
A 6 dollar can of mas cleaner wont hurt anything. Go to pepboys and buy one and try it out. Hopefully it will help.

Lordkoo
11-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by 99amgc43
i think its your mas. you should clean it up. i did a how to in the performance section today, search it up. my car seemed to have gained power too

Thanks Bud! I did clean up the MAF with bunch of stuffs.

Here is what I have found out:

1) C43 intake can suck up A LOT OF TRASH! From smoked butts, insects to dirt....etc. All of them concenrated on the very top part near the MAF intake.

2) CRC MAF cleaner sucks.... I emptied the whole can and it still did not work because the error codes came back on after 2 miles of driving.

3) 99amgc43's method may sound a little hard on the MAF, but it really cleaned out the MAF well.

So far I have done over 100 miles without the codes.

Thank you guys!!!!!

99amgc43
11-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Im glad I was able to help!!! did you notice a gain on the power and the throttle response?

Lordkoo
11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by 99amgc43
Im glad I was able to help!!! did you notice a gain on the power and the throttle response?

Truthfully I feel the response is a little quicker and power of the M113 is always good. I think I need it clean it down again when I put new air filters in it.

Thanks a lot! Don't have eat the bullet on buying a new MAF!!!!

Denlasoul
11-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Not related to your codes, but a previous post reminded me of something. Have you ever checked / cleaned your airbox?

First time I ever did mine was surprising! Looked like a small animals dwelling...HA HA.

Lordkoo
11-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Yup! I think I am the first guy EVER removed that airbox since it was first assembled in Germany. I sweared I can find almost everything one can imagine you find on the roads in the airbox.

Need to check those airbox very often IMO! ;)

Originally posted by Denlasoul
Not related to your codes, but a previous post reminded me of something. Have you ever checked / cleaned your airbox?

First time I ever did mine was surprising! Looked like a small animals dwelling...HA HA.

nikrox
12-21-2009, 11:29 PM
i got the same 2 codes

replaced the Mass Air Flow meter (MAF) and its working perfectly

_n.