PDA

View Full Version : Filling the Fuel Tank

xvvvz
11-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I did a search but didn't seem to come up with a definitive answer - what is the best strategy for filling up the fuel tank? My search of the archives here produced a thread that said you should not let the tank drop below 1/4 tank to ensure the fuel pump stays cool. I have seen other threads that indicated overfilling the tank is a serious no-no. So how do you fill the tank and get it full without causing problems??

With my Lexus, I always let it auto fill by itself until it shut off. It always shut off early due to back-pressure or whatever, so I gave it one more shot until it clicked off.

With an MB, should you set the handle on the lowest/slowest filling auto click and just let it fills slowly until the first click-off? Sometimes this doesn't even get you close to a full tank.

I would like to get the tank consistently full so that I can have a somewhat accurate way to calculate the fuel mileage from tank to tank.

Thanks,
Doug

matt09
11-09-2006, 04:03 PM
For my tank, I cant stick the whole nossel in there because it clicks at half a tank, so I insert it to the point where the spring on the tube starts and then squeeze the handle. I fill it up just before the fuel needle touches the orange part with 10-12 gallons.

black96benz
11-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Ive put as much as 17.017 gal in my 16.4 gallon tank. It was below empty and above full when i was done. Oops!

NEA-4311
11-12-2006, 02:49 PM
I let my tank to go almost empty before each refill and it hasnt created any problems so far... Truth is Im a little worried now with all that about the fuel pump, is it true? And yes, I tend to overfill it each time, my dad used to do it as well since the begining as I can recall, when the car was his, that is.

Abuimad
11-12-2006, 10:14 PM
i tend to never let my tank go below the 1/4 mark...not because of any fuel pumps, but because the gasoline here is dirty...and the last quarter is pretty much dirt, so to avoid troubles i fill her up, and i use the octane or the fuel system cleaner most the time

davis449
11-13-2006, 05:54 AM
I have to stick the nozzle in to right where the spring contacts the outer ring and then use the 2nd setting to fill it or it will shut off after a matter of seconds. I caused a cylinder misfire once filling it up with clicks. I put too much air in the tank or something. At least that's what the dealer told me.

rman
11-13-2006, 12:06 PM
lol i always thought my car was fucked up because the gas wouldn't fill up all the way...lol.

like it was in a wreck and it wasn't pressurizing properly. Never brought it up because i didn't want to feel like i bought a fucked up car.

anyhow, i usually drain it all the way down and fill it up as much as i can. I know you aren't supposed to drain the tank very low because of the gasoline sediments but seriously, there are a ton of things we shouldn't do that we constantly do.

Abuimad
11-13-2006, 10:50 PM
but every little precaution can help....

Mercedes DIY
11-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by rman
lol i always thought my car was fucked up because the gas wouldn't fill up all the way...lol.

like it was in a wreck and it wasn't pressurizing properly. Never brought it up because i didn't want to feel like i bought a fucked up car.

u are funny Rman.. maybe you need to cut back on the blunts!