View Full Version : Upgrading All the mids and HU

Cru328prod
11-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I went to sound advice today to see what i would need for the benzo, i have a 1999 C230 Kompressor (non bose). From what he was telling me is theres a stock HU, 6 1/2 in front, 4in in the rear door, and 6 1/2 in the back, and a amp to connect it all. Now i have a few questions for you guys, yes i did search and it didn't help me much. I want to run a full apline type s system with a v-power amp. So i have alot of questions

Has anyone upgraded the mids and put a amp to them? if so can you give me some steps?

Is there a stock amp in the car?

How would i bypass it to connect to a 4 channel amp and route them back to the speaker?

Where is the amp?

Denlasoul
11-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Information is wrong. Try search speaker size, and amp.

That should get you going.

Proven Guilty
11-09-2006, 12:53 PM
There is also tweeters in the dash just above the air vents.

I believe the front is 5-1/4" which you can fit 6.5" into if you zip tie it to the door inside of the current enclosure, and the rear door is probably 4" 2-way speaker. the rear deck was a mid bass woofer, roughly 6.5"

all the speakers in this car have small enclosures that have very shallow mounting depth. they help to protect from the outside elements because of the design of the doors (would leave them exposed if you choose to remove the plastic enclosure).

to my knowledge there is not an amp in the non-bose cars (if mine has one, then its still rotting in the car). i pulled all new speaker wire from the trunk to all locations of the car, and it was very much worth the time. It's mostly back to stock stereo now since i'm expecting to sell it for another W202, but before I was running MQ Quart Q-Line components behind the ooooold school soundstream class-A amps (rubicon 500.2 x1 per 10" Q-line MQ Quart subwoofers, and Picasso 4channel x2, one for the highs and one for the mids for the in-car speakers since the MQ Quart Q-Line components support bi-amp setups).

It's all in how far you want to go with your install.

khristian
11-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Just a thought for you, i went with upgrading in the stock locations and still didnt really like the sound. A friend of mine suggested going with kickpods and horns for the front. This made a huge improvement in the the sound and the imaging of it as well. The only problem with this is I dont think alpine makes horns. Goodluck with your system.

iwhocorrupts
11-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I have 6 1/2" up front and 5 1/4" in the rear, for all 4 I just took out the oem speaker mounts and used some self tapping metal screws -- screwed the speaker right into the door frame.
My rear deck speakers are removed as I have subs and theres really no need for them there, they just block bass transfer into the passenger cabin.

-Mark

Cru328prod
11-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by iwhocorrupts
I have 6 1/2" up front and 5 1/4" in the rear, for all 4 I just took out the oem speaker mounts and used some self tapping metal screws -- screwed the speaker right into the door frame.
My rear deck speakers are removed as I have subs and theres really no need for them there, they just block bass transfer into the passenger cabin.

-Mark

I think your way seems the easiest way to go. as of wires go where does the speaker wires goto? the head unit? cause if thats the case, i'll snake 4 sets from the new head unit to the amp, and run another 4 from the amp to the wireharness. Sound advice gave me a est of 1,101 dollars for everything installed. i could save a easy 400 dollars doing it myself. my main concern was really if the car had a amp pushing the speakers, i'll be taking ton's of pics for future references

iwhocorrupts
11-10-2006, 12:20 PM
I used factory wires for my speakers, and as far as amping goes I have wires running from the trunk to the H/U and thats where i amped the speakers from

-Mark