PDA

View Full Version : Fault Code P0040

Benzon
11-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I am looking to buy a 2000 C230 and it has fault code "40" I'm assuming it is P0040 which according to a web page that des code lookup it is "Oxygen Sensor Signals Swapped Bank 1 Sensor 1 / Bank 2 Sensor 1" Is this the right "diagnosis" can anyone shed some light on this problem for me. I plan on taking it to a dealership and hooked up to the machine, does anyone know how much that would cost?

Benzon
11-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Or this could be p0140? Which is "O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2)" Does this mean i need to get a new o2 sensor?

therock2689
11-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Check if the hardness came loose first. If it has, just shove it back and and scan again. If not, then i would think you do.

Rock

Benzon
11-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Ok good thought. This is a standard issue with these 230's?

therock2689
11-11-2006, 06:37 AM
What, teh O2 sensors? Those are standerd on all cars that are relitively new, i would say like ~1990 and up. Its part emoitions and part the comp knowing whats going on. The O2 sensors are what measure you exhaust gasses and determine the A/F. THere is one where teh exhaust maniforld collects and another after the cat. By the code, it looks like its the one pre-cat. Just by the looks of it, it looks like a "fun" job to do, but doable. just go to your local autoparts store and ask for a Boshe 4 wire, thats what i got on my 230k. Good luck man, and i would grab teh car and fix that, its ono big deal.

Rock

Polestar
11-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Oxyen Sensor replacement is part of regular maintaince. It shouldn't cost you anything to read the diagnostic trouble code with the OBD-II reader. (If they find a code, they have you as a paying customer)
You'll pay anywhere from $95-$140 for the Bosch sensor. There are four on the car: two sensors pre-catalytic converter and two post. Some sensors go out after 60k mi, however many last over 100k mi.
BTW, you'll save a lot of money if you go to an independent garage that works on Mercedes.
But, yea, the W202 is an awsome vehical and if every thing else is good, buy it.

Benzon
11-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. When i got done driving out to see the car and got in and turned it on the "Code" The seller spoke of was just the count off to a B service, and not an OBDII code. Sorry for that, but It's a good thing as well. I took the car to the MBZ dealership around the corner from where the car was at and had them double check and make sure there was no rollback issue. They looked it over and determined all it needed was 2 new drive belts and windshield wiper blades. They then forgot to charge me for the hours labor to do this check, and then with them not to happy about closing the work order without getting their money they just let me go without paying anything. Really god people and service at the Mercedes Benz of Palm Beach in florida if anyone is around there, i got treated Excellently I mean A+ Customer service. So i bought the car for 14,500... 15,300 Out the door. With him doing the repairs mentioned. It's a 2000 C230K With 2-tone interior and sport package. With, drum roll please, 13,001 miles on the clock. Glad to be in the club. I'll post a intro to myself as soon as I get the car in my hands.

Polestar
11-12-2006, 12:55 PM
With, drum roll please, 13,001 miles on the clock.

You lucky dog! That's like a brand new $35k car for $15K! Nice find. Enjoy

therock2689
11-12-2006, 01:12 PM
That car is going to last a long time. 2000 with only 13k on it. I think my dad put 13k on it before 8 months, damn boy, you stole that car that for sure. Congrats on your buy and welcome to the club.

Rock

Benzon
11-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah, just took 8 hours roundtrip to go see it. Now just have to wait to get it shipped back over to m, or maybe go pick it up next weekend, then I will post some pics up. Thanks for the replys.