PDA

View Full Version : Radio code location; interior light/locking problem

Prez
11-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Took my baby to get smog checked and get a wash today and then drove around a little bit. Got back to the house and parked real fast to pick something up and came back outside. When I got in, I noticed all the interior lights were on and wouldn't go off. The interior light switch was in the middle position, they just never went off. Switched it to door mode and they went out. Also, the doors won't lock with the dash switch. they work fine when I use the fob.

Maybe a door ajar sensor has gone out? That would explain the lights and the door lock.

So to solve the problem, I thought I might try unhooking the battery cable and rebooting the car. But, I'll lose my radio code. I have my complete owners manual, but I can't seem to find the code. Can someone tell me where the code is located?

Thanks!

hvmercy
11-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Prez

I have my complete owners manual, but I can't seem to find the code. Can someone tell me where the code is located?

Thanks!

Radio code is NOT found in the manual.
It comes in a separate card.
Go to a dealer and ask them if they
can provide you with the radio code.

good luck.

Prez
11-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Any ideas about the door sensor?
How easy are they to replace?
How much do they cost?

Prez
11-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Realized this morning that the auto-down function on all of the windows is gone, too. This just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

OCKlasse
11-13-2006, 08:09 PM
could it have anything to do with them disconnecting the battery? The cars acts very strange for a little after the battery is disconnected.

Abuimad
11-13-2006, 10:35 PM
i disconected the battery twice, only problem i faced was the window roll down and up situation in wich i fixed in a minute....

Prez
11-14-2006, 08:50 AM
I never got the battery disconnected. I will probably never get around to going out to a dealer and trying to get them to give me a radio code. It sounds like an enormous pain in the ass.

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the door sensor. All the symptoms seem to fit that particular failure. I need to find specs and part information.

I appreciate any and all of your ideas! Thanks!

detroit202
11-14-2006, 10:09 AM
this might be a dumb question but have you opened all your doors and made sure they were closed.

Prez
11-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by detroit202
this might be a dumb question but have you opened all your doors and made sure they were closed.

Yeah. First thing I did. And the trunk.

I even went so far as trying to "trick" the car by opening all the doors and manually closing each latch and trying to use the power lock switch.

One brilliant observation of a design flaw of the 202 would be: Why isn't there a door ajar light like there is on every other car in the world? My 89 Honda Accord would tell you which if any individual door was open or the trunk.

Of course, it didn't ride as smooth or look as good or have as much HP... But it did have a movable steering wheel... I'm gonna shut up now.

First Benz
11-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Have you actually visually checked the door switches at every door? They have a habit of breaking, and falling into the B pillar.

If the radio in the car is original, let me know the vin, and I'll get you the code, If the radio has been switched out, then I need the radio serial number.

And as far as the windows, have you tried re-syncing them? I know, simple quesitons, and you've probalby checked most things, but it helps in figuring out what's wrong. :cool:

Prez
11-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for your help FirstBenz. I really appreciate it!

When you say, "check the door switches," I assume you are talking about the spring-loaded switch that gets pushed in when the door is closed?

It's difficult to tell which one might have gone bad. The driver's door would be the most obvious one, but the switch seems fine there and I can't really tell. The car is going to go into the shop soon for some other gripes that I can't figure out myself. I intended to have them check some stuff then.

Thanks for your help with the radio. It's the stock Bose.
VIN# WDBHA28E7TF441068.

Thanks again!

First Benz
11-20-2006, 07:25 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about. But if it's not physically broken, and pushed into the B pillar, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's still very possible that the switch is bad internally, but that's not overly common.

Any other symptoms? Did you get the windows to work right again?

If I remember correctly, that is a normally closed switch, and when the door closes, it opens it. So something else you could do, is pop the switch out, unplug it, and see if any of the symptoms go away.

Give it a go, let us know what you find.

Eric

Prez
11-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Rechecked all of the door switches this morning and lo an behold(!) the post around the passenger side switch is lookin' pretty busted. Busted enough apparently to allow play and not completely close the switch when the door closes. I closed it manually a few times. The post has to go All The Way into the switch. Ain't no half-steppin'.

So thanks, Eric, for all of your help. I guess if I can get the post reinforced, or (gulp) go to the dealership and get a new sensor, all should be fixed. I think I'm going to try and be crafty and make a reinforced post out of an old credit card and spraypaint it or something. I dunno. I'd rather fashion something myself than needlessly spend money. Pride of ownership.

Windows work again! Sorry for not adding that earlier. I don't know what was up with that. A different gremlin perhaps.

Thanks Eric!

First Benz
11-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Well, hopefully that takes care of it. If you do end up needing a new switch, I don't think they are overly spendy. But don't hold me to that.

BTW, for future referance, your radio Code should be 21214. That is again, if the thing has never been switched out. I know you said it's a stock unit, but if under warrenty it was changed, and the code not updated, that's where you can run into problems.

But if you do, like I said before, just get me a serial number and it's all good. But it sounds like you've got it taken care of anyway.

Eric