PDA

View Full Version : When is it time...for new shocks?

BPH
11-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Long after loosing my favorite MB independent shop to internet marketing, I continue to ask the question...when should I replace my shocks/springs? I've logged 195,000K without a change. I was advised some time ago that the bottom first 2 inches of the front springs were broke. There is no visible sign of leaking from the shocks, but I can't help but think at the very least...they are long over due. Advice would be appreciated...

Thanks...

BPH

matt09
11-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Push down on one of the front end sides of the car and see if it comes right up and stops; or if it goes up, then down again, then up and finally stops. If you get case 2, time for new shocks.

Denlasoul
11-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I would definietly verify and replace your springs if they are broken. You can find some used sets here and on ebay.

Lensolo
11-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by matt09
Push down on one of the front end sides of the car and see if it comes right up and stops; or if it goes up, then down again, then up and finally stops. If you get case 2, time for new shocks.

Make sure NOT to push down on the fenders!!! They're pretty soft.

NEA-4311
11-20-2006, 06:11 AM
Avoid the fenders, instead, open the door and push the car away and towards you a couple of times for it to gain a momentum by grabing the roof on the side (where the upper side of the door used to sit), with a shaking motion. If when you let go, the car almost immediately stops shaking, your shocks are a-ok. Thatway also you can tell how soft your shocks are.

After all that and since theres no visible damage, you can also tell by how the car behaves on the road if you push it near its limits.

longjohn1
11-20-2006, 06:28 AM
i've a 1998 C250 turbodiesel - 170k miles and am trying to find out what is the manufacturers original spec was /is for front and back, as measuring from the top of wheel arch the gap between it and the tyre seems to be different on every one and it changes after too after a long run - i don't think springs are jacked yet ?? any ideas ?

NEA-4311
11-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by longjohn1
i've a 1998 C250 turbodiesel - 170k miles and am trying to find out what is the manufacturers original spec was /is for front and back, as measuring from the top of wheel arch the gap between it and the tyre seems to be different on every one and it changes after too after a long run - i don't think springs are jacked yet ?? any ideas ?

What model is your car? Elegance, Classic, Esprit or Sport, because the height slightly differs between the two first models and the two last.

If you say that every wheel has a different gap measurement and you mean more than 1cm with same tyres and on (almost) absolutely straight and smooth terrain then you should start worrying.

longjohn1
11-20-2006, 06:44 AM
ok just went out with the tape measure - front arch measured from the ground is 665mm and back is 630mm (back left is slightly less) above shows a clearance of about 45ish mm and 10mm respectively - Maybe the back is designed to be lower than the front ? are the above gaps on or off the mark d'you think relative to what you know before any modifying ??

NEA-4311
11-20-2006, 06:54 AM
To the bear eye, yes all 202's seem lower in the back to me, im not sure if the dimensions you gave me are the proper ones as im roll on 18s and cannot measure my own. Maybe someone else has the ability to help?

Will_w202
12-04-2006, 08:02 PM
I"ve got 140k miles on OEM suspension. Flaccid is the word. Also, the rear drags the bottom visually compared to front. I'm going to fo Eibach cups and Bilstein Sports in 2 weeks. I'm goign to toy with pads at the stealer. Probably leaving front OEM and adding a pad (actual pad or just thicker) in rear

Proven Guilty
12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
i like #2 up front, #5 in the rear

Will_w202
12-15-2006, 03:54 PM
First off, the bounce test does not work on these cars. 202s will not bounce unless they are SERIOUSLY shot

Mine bobs and weaves pretty badly now at 140k. I figure, looking back, they were due at 9yrs/120k tops.

I am having Bilstein HDs done next week, and expect a huge improvement

BPH
12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Color me very interested in the after, compared to the before. I suspect that I am long overdue but please let me know if you notice a marked difference. While you are at it, take a close look at the springs and check for breakage. I know that the first two inches on the bottom of my front springs are broken and long gone. Living in the "salt belt" takes it toll on these babys...

Thanks for your reply!

BPH